FP3000 not working so well as fuel stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been noticing that my 2002 Toyota Tundra seems to have rough idle after gas is in it greater than 2 weeks. I use FP 3000 normally, but just ran a bottle of Regane in the last tank to see if it would help with the rough idle. At first the truck was running great (fresh fuel), but then after 2 weeks the rough idle came back. I just filled up the tank and, voila, rough idle gone. I've noticed this the last couple of fill ups with FP3000. I always add the FP3000 before I add the gas so it is well mixed. I am wondering if the FP3000 is really all that effective at stabilizing the gas. This has all been Shell gas.

I also just took my motorcycle out for a run after using FP3000 for a fuel stabilizer rather than the Stabil I have used in years past. Bike ran noticeably poor with detonation at 50% throttle until I added 2.5 gallons of fresh fuel. I don't have absolute direct comparison, but the bike had 2 month old gas in it with the FP3000. I have gone for 6 months on the Stabil and it never seemed to be that rough before.

Now I got this scanguage that monitors engine timing in real time. Would old gas cause the engine to alter its timing? I am going to start watching it from now on - right now it is at a consistent 17-18 at idle. My understanding is that the octane rating can decrease as the gasoline ages, so that would mean I would see the engine computer start to retard the timing at idle when the octane is affected - correct?

If I can get a reproduce able result (i.e. the scangauge shows 10deg timing at idle after the gas is > 2 weeks old), then I should be able to take the Pepsi challenge between Stabil and FP3000 and have something to at least measure (ignition timing).

Anyone see a problem with this? comments? suggestions?

Plain gas is still good after 2 weeks. You can begin to see a difference after 3-6 months. We have numerous garage queens and see patterns.
But 2 weeks is nothing for untreated gasoline.
You have other problems. There are many sensors that have to be in good order on modern engines.

So Jeff I take it once you went back to Stabil everything was fine with your bike?

I just added Lucas UCL to my Tacoma and has really quited down my engine. Ive used FP60 for the last two years and what i thought was quite apparently wasn't.

Quote:

Plain gas is still good after 2 weeks. You can begin to see a difference after 3-6 months. We have numerous garage queens and see patterns.
But 2 weeks is nothing for untreated gasoline.
You have other problems. There are many sensors that have to be in good order on modern engines.

The Tundra isn't running horrible or anything it just "stumbles" at idle occasionally when the fuel is old. But it is noticeable. I am going to pay strict attention to the timing and age of the gas.

As for my motorcycle, I can absolutely tell you that Stabil has always worked for me. This is the only time I have used the FP3000 as a stabilizer for any period of time (I have been using FP 3000 for almost a year but this has been the longest it has sat in the garage), and there was a definite difference in the 2 month old gas and a fresh fill. The Evolution engine in the bike has got a high lift cam and larger fuel injectors so I think it is more sensitive to lower octane fuel.

You may have a different experience with your gas where you live. Maybe the E10 fuel we have here and the 100F temperatures play into my gas going bad faster than you.
dunno.gif

Yeah, for long-ish storage I'm back to using Sta-bil and have not had a repeat of the events of that old post. I still use FP60/3000/Plus when I'm riding regularly.

jeff

ethanol, which is the most used octane booster in use, degrades much faster than the old MTBE

refined summer blends are usually higher octane for most of the country. the pump label is only min. octane rating.
you may have gotten a bad run from the refinery, known to happen or an early fall winter change over batch

also west coast gas has high levels of benzene allowed by the EPA because of oil company lobbying for their poor quality heavy high benzene Alaskan oil.
benzene degrades in the tank into engine harming substances and boils off quickly in summer heat. pure benzene has an octane rating of 106 so as fuel blended with high levels of it degrade and loss octane levels as benzene boils off

Unless you analyze the fuel chemically there is no way to know if the fuell has oxidized.

FP3000 has an ample amount of antioxidants and other fuel stabilizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back