Need all-terrain tire recommendation for pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
BFG A/T KOs without question if you drive on 50 miles of rocky muddy dirt roads. Far superior in terms of sidewall strength and traction than other light truck tires.

My opinions...

Goodyear Silent Armor - Quite, wear well, don't stay balanced well and have developed an out of round pattern to 3 of the 4 tires, tough sidewalls, significant drop in MPG...
BFG - Relatively quite, wear well - but not as good as the GY, stay balanced easily, good rock/dirt traction, poor mud traction, durable sidewalls
LTX AT - Ran 70k on these w/ no balancing issues, reasonably quite as long as they were kept rotated, durable, great tire...
REVO - Good All-Around Tire, reasonable quite as long as they were kept rotated, not as durable on the sidewall or tread
LTX AT/2 - I have these ordered for a new truck... Hope they hold up as well as the first ones did...

I find out I'm pretty limited to what I can buy for a heavier (LT rating) tire.

In "all terrain" there is the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A and the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour.

Michelin makes the LTX A/S all season type tire but it is heavy duty. It may not have sufficient traction though.

I was leaning towards the Silent Armour but scottjima's post turned me off somewhat.

The Rugged Trails are available locally so I may go with them.

Will a 245/75R17 or 265/70R17 fit? They make the BFG All-Terrain in those sizes. The BFG Rugged Trail is usually more of a soft-roader tire, but it looks like they do make different treads designs under the same name and the one tire rack shows for a 245/70R17 certainly looks much better than most sizes under the Rugged Trail name.

The LTX A/S looks like a pure highway tire.

The Wrangler Silent Armour looks to me like the best tread for off-road capability of the three options you listed.

Thanks rpn453.

I'll check into those sizes. I should be able to go slightly wider or narrower but height is a no-no. Usally, tire shops are pretty knowledgable on this.

The Silent Armour seems to be popular. Dealer I talked to has none in stock and the wharehouse has them back ordered. He can bring some in from another dealer. This is a big tire chain in Western Canada (Fountain Tire).

Prices do not vary much.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours get my vote
thumbsup.gif

If you need a load rated tire, you can't go wrong with the Michelin LTX AT. I've had them on my Yukon for 70,000 miles. I think they're great but they're too stiff for my truck so I'll be getting the new AT2s this time around.

Have run Michelin LTX A/S and LTX M/S on my Ram/Cummins 2500 and while the ride and traction were similar, I got 20,000 more miles out of the M/S version.

SPIKE

A lot of people really like the Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts - they have a good treadlife warranty too!

Thanks for all the recommendations and info.

Unfortunately, those tire shops selling Michelin, BFG, and Goodyear were not interested in my almost new Generals in trade unless they got them for nothing. I certainly do not have the desire or room to keep them. I might have got more interest in the city where my passenger car tires would have some demand but its too far away.

I settled on a set of Toyos from a small, local shop. The Toyos are 10 ply rated but do not have the tread I desired. He did give me names of others who are running these tires on the same roads. I kinda know one fella but I did not talk to him. They are not the ideal tire but I'll give them a try. They are heavy and avoiding flats is my main aim.

He's also giving me $80 per old tire and fixed a flat for free.

This fella fixed a motorcycle tire for me last summer when I was stuck, so I'm pleased I could give him the business.

I had a minivan pass me yesterday going like ----. He was pulled over with 2 flats later on. I had a few tools and a compressor on board. We managed to wrap black tape around a metal screw for a plug. It held air good enough to get him to the next community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back