Need all-terrain tire recommendation for pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a set of General Ameritrac P245/70 R17 and I've already poked a hole through one. I've managed to plug it till I get to a shop. These tires only have 1500 kilos on them.

These tires seem very light. I've got 50 miles of gravel/rock/mud road to contend with so I need something heavy duty. But I still need a tire suitable for highway as well so it cannot be too aggressive in tread.

Cost is not an issue but reliability is. Thanks for any leads on what to look for.

I've had good luck with the Michelen LTX AT (not the MS) tire for combined driving. Had them on my previous service vehicle, which saw more regular dirt/gravel road use. Wore them down to the wear bars. They did get a bit iffy during their last winter, but still kept me firmly on the road.

Cooper Discover ATR's get severely chewed up by gravel. Have them on my service vehicle currently. Won't be using them again. Cooper made a mistake discontinuing the Discoverer AT and replacing them with the ATR. (Anybody from Cooper reading this? LONG life isn't all that in a tire. I want grip first. Thread life second, maybe even third. Stop screwing up your prooven tires. I don't buy the Cobra's any more either for the same reason.)

Alex.

I may have had a freak set of four, but I just replaced the original 255/70/16 Goodyear Wrangler RTS on my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with 74,000 miles on them. Only reason I replaced them is I found one flat as a board one morning and replaced them all. I didn't even see if it was a nail/slash or whatever...they didn't owe me anything!
smile.gif

They just passed inspection a few months ago as well.

I'll give you three guesses what I replaced them with...
wink.gif

On a side note, I saved about $120 (US) on the set of four installed by using Tirerack.com.

Quote:

I've had good experiences with BGF All-Terrains and Cooper Discoverer M+S.

That would actually be BFG!
smile.gif

I may as well ramble a little since I'm posting again anyway . . .

Those BFGs have very solid construction (including a 3 ply sidewall) with good treadlife and traction in almost every situation. They're even winter rated. It's a very popular tire in the oilfield. I chose the Coopers (also winter rated) over them last time because they were much cheaper and studdable, and a little quieter and better-handling on the highway too. Either would probably work good, but the BFG is the safest bet if you want a serious off-road tire that's not a mudder.

I've used Goodyear Wrangler's for years. They are top notch. I had 1 set go over 123,000 miles with decent tread left on them. The problem was they were over 6 yrs. old so I changed out.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

This gives me something to work with when I go shopping. I do not want to be at the mercy of a tire salesman and end up with ----.

I've used BFG A/T for a few years. They're decent, but I didn't get the best tread wear out of them. I may go with Goodyear Silent Armours this fall.

A very good source of tire information is www.tirerack.com/ . They have numerous reviews and survey results for tires.

I've had my Destination AT's for almost 1 year -- and 8000 miles now. I love them. The ride, and are as quiet as a highway all-season tire. If you research, you will see that they are the bargain AT of excellent quality.

Firestone Destination AT
or
Fuzion XTi - this is a very well made tire particularly for the price. The big drawback is the rather interesting sidewall treatment. They are obviously looking at the under 30 market on this one.

There is an online tire dealer in Florida called Roadway that has the best prices (including shipping) I have been able to find on both of those.

I used to be a big fan of the BFG AT, but I won't buy them anymore. The have finally become at the price point where there are a lot of other as good or better tires on the market for less money.
Part of BFGs charm is that they have the "look". Two decades of being the 4x4 tire yardstick doesn't hurt either.

I run studded Cooper Discoverer M+S in the winter and for a couple of years now some Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor on a 3/4 ton pickup. The Silent Armor seem to be good tires, they're severe snow rated, and are even more quiet than the crummy Michelin LTX A/S that they replaced. The question now is whether they'll last the 50k miles per the treadwear warranty. Unless something better comes along I'll get another set when needed, even though they're kind of expensive. BFG A/T are popular but around here I've talked to and have seen people have problems on ice, but being fair I've also been ice where the studded tires also don't have traction.

One advatage is that they're less likely to be stolen as most people seem to hate Goodyear tires.

BFG AT KO's.....I use a five tire rotation evry 5K - at 20K now with these tires they still look new, better truck tire than the baloon like feel of the Goodyear AT/S that came with my 02' F150. Great all around- snow/sand , I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

BFG AT KO's on all my trucks. Decent off road, good in snow and ice, moderate noise, strong sidewalls and they look good.

They are getting expensive though, and I've heard alot of recommendations for Bridgestone Dueler Revo's, which apparently last longer. The guy at the tire shop couldn't talk me into them though...same price...but unknown to me.

I should have added in my original post, that much of the road is shot rock or rip-rap.

BFG, Michelin, and Goodyear are the ones most recommended.

I wonder which will handle sharp chunks of rock the best?

I have the new Wrangler silent Armor all terrains and they are tough yet ride like silk. They're on a Cherokee and replaced a set of Cooper Discovery AT's, which I loved but couldn't find anymore. I've also got Wrangler AT/S's on a jeep CJ that works really well, too. Otherwise, the good old BFG All Terrain KO's are a standout tire too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back