where can you actyually purchase a mushroom patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
over the years I’ve had good luck repairing flats by using the rubber sticks that you push through the outside of the tyre with a forked pencil thing. I’ve even repaired holes in sidewalls and never had problems. however I have one hole in my tyre that I cannot get to seal up using a rubber stick patch. I even used rubber cement.

what I do is clean the hole out with the cylinder file. then I push on the tread to make air come out of the hole. then I drip a few drops of rubber cement on the hole and let my hand off the tread, which forces the tyre to suck up come rubber cement into the hole. I then put rubber cement on the rubber stick plug and let it sit for 10 minutes.

finally I push the plug into the hole and let it cure overnight, (or day time in the sun to get her nice and hot).

this method has worked for me for as long as I have been driving, and its worked even before that, on atv tyres, dirt bike tyres, etc.

however! this method is not working on a hole in one of my car tyres. its a Goodyear regatta 2 tyre, and its in very good condition other than this hole. by the way I caught the leak early and the tyre had lost only 5lbs of air pressure. (it went from 40 to 35 by the time I caught it) so there was no damage from running low on pressure. the hole is right in between 2 blocks of tread. it was a roofing nail. I pulled it out and the entire nail came out clean, including the pointed end so I know there is no foreign objects left inside the tyre. by the way it was a small nail, probably less than 1/16th inch wide. I also know the hole was a clean puncture. it went straight in, not at an angle. it didn’t rip the tyre. should be a simple plug and go right?
well no. this puncture happen almost a year ago. the first time I plugged it, I check the pressure daily and it lasted for 2 weeks. then started leaking, so I plugged it again. that lasted until today when I checked my pressures which I do every Sunday. my tyre is down to 30lbs of pressure. (that’s ok since the car specs 32) so again no damage was done from running low on pressure.

I pulled the old plug out with a pliers and repatched it. 45 minutes later I put 10lbs of air into the tyre just to check if it leaks, and what do you know its leaking!

so at this point I’m thinking I should give the internal mushroom type patches a try, the kind that act as a flat patch and a rubber stick plug all in one. only problem is that nobody sells them! you would think that since the rubber manufactures association says to ONLY use mushroom patches, and that most tyre dealers only use them, you would think you could buy them at any auto parts store or even Wal-Mart. well no dice, I’ve been to pep boys, AutoZone, discount auto parts, congress auto parts, Bennett auto supply, and Wal-Mart. all of these stores sell only the rubber stick patches.

so what’s a cheapskate like myself to do? should I spend $20 at a rip-off tyre dealer to have it patched with a mushroom patch? the tyres on my car all came as a matched set from the junkyard for $10 each. does it make since to spend $20 to patch a tyre that costs $10?

id really like to buy a set of mushroom patches and start using those instead of rubber sticks. but why doesn’t anyone sell them? why does the rma warn you that rubber cement is flammable? do they expect you to smear it all over you’re body and then smoke a cigarette? rma takes people for idiots.... but id like to follow their advice and patch this tyre the right way....

also, temm me what you guys think of my spell check. I tried to make this post a little more refined. If this works out, I may do all of my new posts in spell check.

Master Acid,

A couple of thoughts:

First is that the hole might be too big to repair. 1/4" is the limit. Beyond that and the patch can't reinforce the area enough to restore the structural integrity (which is one of the reasons why "plugs" by themselves are not an approved repair method).

The reason you can't find mushroom style patches at AZ or PepBoys is that if you are really in the tire business - and not someone who "installs and forgets" - you'll have a supplier for ALL your tire related tools and supplies - balancers, mounters, cleaning fliuds, mounting lubes,....and repair materials. A place like Myers Tire Supply - and they deliver.

Honestly, I would go to some place reliable and pay the $20. Be careful of the corner gas station. While those guys may be cheap, they also tend to damage the tire taking it on and off - and you may wind up with a failed tire due to the damage.

i saw some in my local pepboys the other day. i have never seen them before in the local auto store so i did think it was a bit odd.

Try this, put some cement on the rasp, run it through the hole a couple times, thread your plug and goop it up with cement, insert it. trim it. Thats how I was "taught" to do them.

Alex.

As the dumb-arse,ripoff,clown down the street, probably no need for my opinion here anyway,,,,,BUT. The rubber used in quality repair products ages (self vulcanizes) regardless of whether installed or laying in a shelf. This does NOT mean it goes bad after being installed in your tire, just that it looses it's ability to stick to an innerliner if left "unstuck" too long. Also, tire repair cement(a far cry from rubber glue) dries up in can after inital opening. By the time you throw away out of date material every two or three years when you actually have a flat it might be cheaper to have pros do it. To install yourself you must first remove from wheel. After you have it off the car and off the wheel, I doubt you would still have to pay $20. just to get patch applied.

Probably not one to talk,,,,but you might still want to work on the spell check some more.

Bob

Tire repair prices here, some 12 years ago ranged from a low of $15.xx to a high of $22.xx. The $18 dollar shop shoved in a plug... thats when I said screw it and began doing it myself. A new Camel brand plug kit is currently around $12. Even if I use the kit only once its still less than getting the tire repaired at a shop.

Alex.

I was shocked recently, when quoted $24.99 to repair a nail hole in a tire. I was then told the angle of penetration was too acute to allow repair. I took it to the tire shop across the street, and they mushroom-plugged it for $10.00.
I rarely have punctures, but the next time I do, I think I'll take it to the tire shop in a nearby city, the one with the signs in Spanish. I suspect they'll do a repair both well and cheaply.

interesting responses guys, but has anyone actually found a dealer for mushroom patches? ive been runnin around on the spare for a few days now. i dont mind using the spare, but id like to get my fullsize patched before my spare goes bald!

I work in a tire/oil shop, I see a lot of junk and jobs done incorrectly, I'm giving a link to the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association), they have a lot of useful information such as proper techniques in tire repair.

Link here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back