Not open for further replies.
[image]
DSC00293.jpg
[/image]

Closeup
[image]
DSC00295.jpg
[/image]

The thin topmost layer of rubber is scraped. My digital depth gauge measured no more than 0.0022". Should I worry about this blowing out? Should I replace the tire? Tire is 3 weeks old.

Word to the wise - if you care about your cars, don't have children.

It looks like a superficial wound that did not get near the structural components. In your case, I would take it to several good tire dealers to rest your worries. They could probably buff some of it off and a dose of good tire dressing will make the pain almost disappear.

Yes, the trials and tribulations of having children. Just imagine if, instead, your vehicle was accidently wrapped around a telephone pole. Count your blessings.

From a wise man...I care for my car. But, much less than I care about my children. Some people probably should be limited to only a vehicle to care for...vehicles are disposable.

Quote:

Yes, the trials and tribulations of having children. Just imagine if, instead, your vehicle was accidently wrapped around a telephone pole. Count your blessings.

From a wise man...I care for my car. But, much less than I care about my children. Some people probably should be limited to only a vehicle to care for...vehicles are disposable.

I know that and I love my children. Just venting my frustration. Thanks for reminding me. BTW I added an extra significant digit. It's 0.022" deep.

2.2/100

.22/10

.022/1

Fun with figures!!!!!!

Scrape vice an impact that could possibly have harmed the tire's innards? Likely okay to use based unpon subjective feeling with nary a basis upon experience or accumulated real-life date from various sources.

Betcha' if a potential problem exists that some form of bubbly protrusion will occur before catastrophic failure.

But, yah' never know.

I would expect tire folks to advise buying anew. Not necesarilly to garner a sale but to avoid any possibility of possible litigation of they advise to just "run with it."

Yep.

Sidewall casing does not heal like human skin. If you had this wound on your skin (and if your skin would not heal) would you be concerned? It is not a problem now, but it very well could become one. I would watch it closely, and if there is any change, replace it.

Quote:

Sidewall casing does not heal like human skin. If you had this wound on your skin (and if your skin would not heal) would you be concerned? It is not a problem now, but it very well could become one. I would watch it closely, and if there is any change, replace it.

Gosh, that thar advice sounds purdy dern' good to me.

ive seen worse cuts than that in the ltx tyres and they lasted untill bald. ltx have some thick sidewalls. i know this because i cut a pair of them up to use the rubber as vibration damper with my air compressor. i wouldnt worry about it. just give a passing glance to the sidewall whenever you check the tyre pressure to make sure it isnt bulging out or anything.

Mostly, I think I was just ticked off because they are new tires. I will move the tire to the left side so it doesn't get additional scrapes and I calmly talked to the kids about not getting so close to the curbs, Dad is not made of money, etc., etc. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks everyone.

I'd leave it on the curb side. If the kid hits another curb, wouldn't you want to wreck the tire that's already damaged instead of wrecking one that's perfectly good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back