Uneven rear tire wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 infiniti sports coupe with the 19" wheel option. The rear tires have 3 times more wear on the outside than they do on the inside. i have replacement tires in the garage and will get these put on soon. however, any idea why the rear tires have so much more outside wear than inside wear?

That much +ve camber should be plainly obvious. I'm going to guess that you've got toe problems. Outer wear means most likely toe-in.

The other possibility is that you've been trying too hard to re-enact scenes from Fast And Furious: Tokyo Drift with slightly underinflated tires?

Max

Don't forget that any wear pattern that is developed on one end of the car might not be corrected by a rotation.

So it's possible that the problem is in the front end and a rotation to the rear merely delayed the wear from appearing earlier.

sorry for not giving more information. the front tires are fine, almost uniform front tire wear on both front tires. also, the remaining tread life on the two front tires are much greater than the rear. both rear tires exhibit the exact same outside wear pattern.

also the tire setup on this car does not allow rotations (front tires are smaller than rear tires and tires are basically directional). so there never has been any rotation or movement of the tires since i first bought the car new. approx 24K miles on these tires (bridgestone potenza re050a). i would guess fronts will last another 10K miles (at least).

Also, getting 24k miles out of RE050a is quite an accomplishment in itself, especially given that they're mounted on the drive axle. You may also want to check for worn or damaged suspension components while you're in the shop getting the alignment done.

Sounds like your toe settings in the rear are too aggressive, or just out of wack from hitting potholes and stuff. Didn't Nissan have a problem with the rear tire wear on the 350Z and G35? I'm recalling something about a TSB with different a rear toe spec.

I just had a rear tire problem on my Land Rover LR3. At 16k, the inside edges were wearing. At 22k, they were showing belt. After arguing with LR about tires and reasonable wear, they split the cost, and re-aligned the truck. The truck was way out of alignment!

Just no way in heck a new vehicle should have tire wear starting at 16k. New tires should last at least 30k, IMO.

Quote:

Just no way in heck a new vehicle should have tire wear starting at 16k. New tires should last at least 30k, IMO.

youve never had a high performance vehicle. i would kill to get 16k out of tires. actually im close to that with my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S street tires. alignment settings from the factory purposefully have a lot of negative camber to allow for better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back