'Zackerly what we don't need

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read a book by David Suzuki (he didn't make motorcycles) about energy and food.

He pointed out the calorific content of a lettuce, and how many calories were consumed air freighting Oz lettuce to France so people could eat salad all year around.

http://www.abc.net.au/canberra/stories/s1809687.htm

Quote:

Cargill Australia has imported 57,000 tonnes of Canadian canola to supply oilseed and biodiesel industries. The current crop estimates are 160,000 tonnes in eastern states, while demand is running at 500,000 tonnes.

If we have to import biofuels (in particular the seeds for the oil), then the entire reason has been defeated.

Tony had the right idea.

Fuel from locally available, already used oil is the way.

Wonder what the fossil fuel useage is to transport 57,000 tonnes of canola seeds across the world.

I wish they would use the true name of the seed or plant. If they are importing seed it is Rape seed. It is one thing renaming the product to avoid a non-desirable name, but I don't think they should get a pass on renaming the whole plant.
To me there is no such thing as canola seed. Only oil, as in Canada-oil, canola oil.
Now back to the topic.

They renamed it so we would eat it - since eating rape seed oil makes you go blind!
My ol man said if I didn't stop it i'd go blind so I asked if I could just do it till I needed glasses!
stooges.gif

Cheers!

Why would anyone want to import biofuels, if petroleum fuel is available at a lower price, and with more energy per tanker? Perhaps it's a lubricity and cleaning additive, in the way lettuce works for the digestive system.

Nah, the Oz stanadrd for biodiesel makes it VERY difficult to meet unless you use virgin rapeseed oil (hehe that's funny).

Much like the U.S. standard just happened to choose soy as the preferred ingredient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back