Pulstar Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
More snake oil .......

should snake oil be changed at regular intervals too ?? ..
confused.gif
laugh.gif

I saw these on another forum...too funny!
What is this going to do for EMI?
How do they get gas to burn at a faster rate?
I love the PSI animation! Yeah, I want to see the test method and graph data.
If these did what they said, the automakers would be all over it.

How is a capacitor going to help a spark plug? Knowing what I do about circuits (which is admittedly just enough to be dangerous) what are you going to do with it? Filter the noise out of the ignition signal? There surely wouldn't be enough time to store up a significant charge and discharge it in time to be useful.

They are very efficient at debeting your credit card account. They store up their enerby until you hit the cash register and then fire. The only way to know is test data not supplied by the manufacturer. The testimonal that says "I felt the power" is of less value. It's a thin bet and the money is usually on OEM stuff.

Have to be careful with these gimmick plugs. Often they ballpark the heat ranges too wide and that can cause problems. Not to mention that if the automakers could raise C.A.F.E. with something as simple and fleet-wide as a spark plug design change they would be all over it ---- mentioned above.

Don't know anything about these plugs, but I don't thing the automakers are doing anywhere near as much as they could to make more reliable, economical, powerful cars. I think it's all about style for the consumer and to ---- with the rest. Where are all the econo boxes that they were making in the late eighties/early nineties? i.e Geo Metro and Plymouth/Dodge Colt.

I think they can do much better than they are.

Quote:

Don't know anything about these plugs, but I don't thing the automakers are doing anywhere near as much as they could to make more reliable, economical, powerful cars. I think it's all about style for the consumer and to ---- with the rest. Where are all the econo boxes that they were making in the late eighties/early nineties? i.e Geo Metro and Plymouth/Dodge Colt.

Agreed. Between the three of them (GM, Ford, Chrysler), there is not one car that gets 40 MPG or better. Toyota alone has three.

Harry
bop.gif

Champion used to make a "spark gap" plug with a gap in the centre conductor. Smokey mentioned them a couple times as giving decent results in engines that fouled the centre insulator and had leakage (no spark) due to deposits.

I had such a vehicle, and made a capacitor/spark gap that inserted in the plug lead.

Idle was improved. Part throttle was improved.

Engine DID have problems, and this was an experiment to overcome some of them.

I think an engine in decent condition would suffer from the reduced spark energy.

Quote:

Quote:

Agreed. Between the three of them (GM, Ford, Chrysler), there is not one car that gets 40 MPG or better. Toyota alone has three.

Harry
bop.gif

Yeah but even Toyota's are only rated at about 41 mpg (not counting hybrids). The Geo and colts both got around 45. And that's 15 years ago! You mean to tell me technology won't let them do it better, alot better, now? Gimme a break!

For higher MPG you gotta go diesel. Forget all your prejudices against diesel when you're talking the new diesels from about 2004 model year on up. We love our TDI. 42mpg in mix of city and suburban driving, 48 or 49mpg on the interstate. Plenty of torque right in the rpm range where you live for most driving.

Quote:

For higher MPG you gotta go diesel. Forget all your prejudices against diesel when you're talking the new diesels from about 2004 model year on up. We love our TDI. 42mpg in mix of city and suburban driving, 48 or 49mpg on the interstate. Plenty of torque right in the rpm range where you live for most driving.

I totally agree. I know there are some performance diesels out there w/ tons of power and good mpg too. They do even better on BIO. I've heard that in Europe there are diesels getting close to 100 mpg. That's only hearsay fro me though.

I know a guy w/ an old rabbit getting over 50.

The auto makers are certainly not taking advantage of the available technology.
Which is the point of getting off topic as we have, whether this plug works or not, even if it did, it certainly doesn't mean they would take advantage of it.

O.K. I read a little about this plug.

First off. Several plugs on the market have been proven to work better than some of the cheaper ones. HP gains have been proven with a few plugs.

Fuel burning at a faster rate? Of course not. It's an easier way to say what's really happening. Think about it this way. Use a match to get a fire going. Takes a while right? Now try using a propane torch. Much easier. The wood doesn't burn at a faster rate. It ignites faster because there is more heat in a larger area.

Same goes for spark plugs. You get a bigger spark, it ignites the fuel faster because of more heat in a larger area, therefore more of the fuel is exposed to the spark. This is why racers "index" their plugs, to expose more of the spark to the fuel.

As for the capacitor idea. I'm not saying it will work, but the theory makes sense. load a cap with more power and of course the spark will be much bigger.

Now, is there enough time for the cap to be loaded with power b4 the next time it needs to fire? I would think there is. Electricity is a lot faster than 8000 rpm.

But now my question is this. Your distributor only fires at the point in time that the spark is needed and it only releases a set amount. If you could program the coil to continuously release the energy to the cap and then release the energy at the right timing point from the point of the capacitor to the plug, I could see this being very beneficial.

Unless somehow the cap loads and releases the energy in a shorter span of time then the coil can all while keeping the right timing (which I suppose the cars computer would adjust for) then I suppose it might work that way.

Sorry to be long winded, but needed to get back on topic.

More educated opinions would be interesting.

Quote:

First off. Several plugs on the market have been proven to work better than some of the cheaper ones. HP gains have been proven with a few plugs.

Which ones specifically?

My take on it: All a sparkplug/ignition system has to do is ignite the mix ontime, everytime. It has to reliably ignite low density mixtures at closed throttle and high density mixes at WOT max VE(max KV demand). I have yet to run into a factory ignition in the last 2o years that cannot accomplish this. Excess spark energy/amps/voltage/duration above and beyond what is required to light the mix is worthless. If the mixture is ignited ontime, the ignition system is good to go, no modifications necessary.

I think it is a lot easier to screw up a decent ignition system by using the wrong plug, which is why I am such a believer in using what plug the OEM says to. Pulled a few Bosch plugs out of Fords with missfire codes. Use the same plugs in an Audi or VW and they are good as gold.

I guess I can see a "miracle plug" as a band aid for an improperly performing ignition, but then you could get the same effect just by fixing the OEM ignition to work to spec.

OEM is usually more than adequate. But I know in my PT Cruiser, the wires at very least are horrible and everyone (and I mean everyone on the cruiser forum I'm on) that switches these out to better quality notices an immediate difference.

The fact remains that a bigger spark with more energy will ignite the fuel faster providing a more complete burn.

We'll have to agree to dis-agree on this.

And I don't re-call which plugs showed the increase, I just remember reading it in a car mag some time ago.

big sparkplugs? what are you talking about? the size of a plug has nothing to do with it sparking.
sparkplugs dont have engery, they dont create heat either. they only put out what they take in. you put 40 thousand volts into a plug, youll get an arc across the gap. put in 1000 volts, nothing hapopens.

I've got to admit that these certainly look like interesting plugs. I can remember when those splitfire plugs first came out, they did wreak some havoc on certain ignition systems in ther beginning, but as they improved the ignition systems, the plugs came into their own, and worked rather well.

Although the significant claims (at least with my experience) were never equalled, there were gains in economy and performance, just not enough to fully justify the cost of $6 per plug back then. Given that today's OEM iridium plugs can go for $25 a piece, it seems like this plug would be and interesting try out, for the same price as OEM when the time times for a tune up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back