Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used this stuff in the past, and DID notice that the engines in both my Sentra and Quest van ran smoother than before.

Also, in the first through 5th tanks of it, I got higher MPG's, but the returns gradually diminished over time.

Does this stuff really work, and if so, why would the MPG boost diminish over time?

It's called "Lucas UPPER CYLINDER Lubricant and Injector Cleaner"

We bought the Sentra because it was the most fuel-efficient 4-door we could find that wasn't a hybrid.

Before using the Lucas stuff, we were getting right at about 28MPG mixed without trying to be especially easy on the car. The first tank with the Lucas, we got 35MPG during mixed driving with no changes in driving habits.

Even when I try to take it easy on the car (turning it off at long redlights, turning off the motor and coasting and such) it gets about 34-37MPG.

The thing is...the Lucas only boosts the gas mileage for a few tanks...then it goes back to normal...at least that is what I've personally seen in both my Nissan vehicles.

The sentra is a manual...the Quest is an automatic. The Quest gets 17-19MPG depending on who is driving it. The first tank of Lucas, it got 23MPG.

OOPS...forgot to add this:

Even thought the MPG gains seem temporary, the engine most definately DOES idle much smoother with the Lucas than without it.

I was worred about over-using the stuff since using too much upper cylinder lube can foul spark plugs out, so I use 1/2 of the little 5.25oz instead of a whole bottle, and refill from the 1/2 gal jug.

Do I read this correctly, you went from 28mpg to 35mpg using this additive? That's a 25% increase in mileage? And sometimes you turn off the motor at stop lights and also turn the motor off when coasting. I think you need to recheck your figures and repeat the test. And is your transmission an automatic? If so you might be getting more than you bargined for pulling that stunt.

I noticed a HUGE MPG gain at first...then it gradually diminished over time.

Now that I've been using it for awhile, I don't really notice a gain in MPG anymore, but I still notice the engine idles MUCH smoother than without it.

Crash,

What year is your Sentra ??

Maybe the Lucas UCL cleaned up some crud on the intake valves and that caused a bump in gas mileage.
dunno.gif

It's a 2005 Sentra 1.8

I'm very, VERY careful about calculating fuel mileage and such. It's a ---- economy car (wife REFUSED to get the Altima) but it's been kind to us thusfar on gas mileage and hasn't had any mechanical issues at all. It currently has 57K miles on it.

I put the first bottle of Lucas in it at ~35-37K miles. I usually use Chevron gas, but my wife will fill up from whatever gas station she happens to be near when the needle hits 1/4 full.

I honestly cannot explain the fuel mileage bump then fall...but it did the same thing in the Quest van. Normal mileage is about 17-19 MPG...it went up to ~22-24MPG then back down over time.

Quote:

Crash,

What year is your Sentra ??

Maybe the Lucas UCL cleaned up some crud on the intake valves and that caused a bump in gas mileage.
dunno.gif

Here is my personal theory:

The engine was already staring to get fairly dirty. After two tanks of the UCL, it cleaned off the valves and injectors and combustion chamber. This caused a spike in fuel mileage b/c naturally a cleaner engine is more efficient, and the UCL causes less power loss to friction.

Over time, the computer has adjusted to the "new" gasoline mixture, and now runs richer for some reason.

Again, that's just my personal theory, but it fits the scenario of what happened.

If I go a long time without using the stuff, the mileage WILL go back up slightly then fall again, so it's not as though I'm imagining it, although it will only go up a few MPG.

I've also noticed a slight bump with Lucas in an old Honda. It went for 39 MPG on the highways to around 41.

I think some Sentras have head gasket problems, I don't know if the 2005 has that problem.

I just wanted to warn you before **** hits the fan and your Sentra is out of warranty and you are stuck paying the repair bills out of your pocket.
mad.gif

I think the effect is based mostly on the UCL qualities. It reduces the friction and thus reduces the amount of work(energy) needed to run the engine.

I have noticed a similar effect with LUCL and MMO. It smoothed the engine and gave a slight bump. But if I stopped using it, the smoothness and extra mileage went away with the next tank.

I didnt trust it to do cleaning, every couple of months I would drop in some Redline SI-1 to take care of that. Then I just started mixing LUCL with FP60. Made her purrrr.

Sadly that car is in the great parking lot in the sky now
frown.gif

try this far better then anything on here!!

22oz.redline si-1
1 oz redline 2 stroke racing oil
9 oz.redline fuel system water remover and anti-freeze
go to redline's site and you will find info about the fuel system water remover it ia an excellent ucl and of course the 2 stroke oil is excellent

Im on my second bottle (5.25oz) of Lucas UCL and has defenitly made her purr over FP60. Im about to to buy the 32 oz bottle and use 4oz per fill up. Cheaper than FP 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back