Wheel balancing machine: which is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Are you shopping for a shop that has one or buying one? Can I borrow it if you are buying one?
wink.gif

Just to be clear:

The Hunter GSP9700 is more than just a balance machine.

It is capable of measuring the loaded runout of a tire / rim assembly - which is why it is so useful.

Even a perfectly balanced tire / rim assembly can cause a vibration if the runout (technically uniformity) is excessive.

And just to fill in the rest:

The Hunter GSP9700 does have limitations and some peculiarities and can incorrect diagnose tire / rim assemblies as both good and bad.

ha no, not buying one, but i have some very expensive tires coming in and need to find a shop to put on for me. i went to tirerack and they list the shops around my house and if you click on each one, it tells you the equipment that particular shop uses. lots use (if my memory is correct) the hunter 9000, some use 9700, some use chorgi(?).

I went to a tirerack place with a hunter machine and talked to the mechanic without going in the front office. He said basically they "dont use all the bells and whistles on the machine, just a regular balance.
My Nissan dealer does, but they want $30 a tire!! They give you the printout though.

Balance machines are solely dependent upon the operator with regard to quality of finished product. Try to find yourself a performance shop where the people working there take a personal interest in things and don't view their job simply as a way to earn money.

I personally own a Italian made Corghi and these machines are incredibly high quality. But the machine is only as good as the guy who operates it. My little EM43 model has far more features than I'll ever need,,, or even understand how to use.

I personally think Hunter and Coats make poor quality equipment. I prefer Corghi or CEMB equipment.

http://www.gsp9700.com/

Used by nerdy looking dudes all over the country!!!
gsp9700.gif

This guy thinks it's a video game:
cover.jpg

"The GSP9700 Vibration Control System extends far beyond the traditional functions of a wheel balancer. It not only solves wheel balance problems, but also “road tests” the tire/wheel assembly to eliminate virtually every variable causing vibration in relation to the tire and rim."

Guess the dern thing balances the coil springs within thine tire:
flash_grab.jpg

"The exclusive Road Force Measurement® System applies up to 1400 pounds (635 kg) against the tire. The loaded roller detects non-balance, radial force related vibrations caused by eccentricity and constructional variation of the tire and wheel. Unlike non-contact measurement, the roller samples the entire footprint of the tire including the sidewall’s contribution to ride quality."

Mount yourself on the machine and I suppose it's like getting a massage. Kinda.

"GSP9700’s Inflation Station* provides proper inflation pressure and automatic prompting for the operator to ensure accurate testing and customer satisfaction."

50 points for clever rhyme usage.

Coot thinks this chap likes tires a wee bit too much
runout.jpg

Oodles of info at the Web site. Found it when researching what brand/model of tires to buy for the pick-up.

Site has a locator to find shops in your area with the machine but is apparently not always up-to-date.

Large variances locally in prices charged; none offered free use with tire purchase, likely due to the high-cost of the machine.

Some shops do better than others, maybe it's the training. I go to 'America's Tire' as they do better than others.

You can't beat a good bubble balancer. Argue with that and you haven't worked in the tire business. We had a machine and didn't even use it. Those machines are useless. Save yourself some money and get a good bubble balancer. Expect smooth riding at all mph.

I just had all four of my tires done on the Hunter GSP9700
very impressive machine for sure,they gave a demo when they
did them, very cool,best machine out there they say and i
agree.

oh it cost $15 a tire,so not cheap.

Quote:

You can't beat a good bubble balancer. Argue with that and you haven't worked in the tire business. We had a machine and didn't even use it. Those machines are useless. Save yourself some money and get a good bubble balancer. Expect smooth riding at all mph.

I was in the tire business (still am) BEFORE Computer balancers existed. Bubble machines were'nt worth a daaaaam then, still aren't.

Trouble with high end equipment, is that only high volume shops where high employee turnover is the norm can afford them. find a owner/operator who gets his hands dirty regularly, and you're more likely to get one-on-one attention.

Bob

Well for 40 years a 4 weight bubble balance is the best I have ever had. Weights should be about 30degrees apart and 2 on each side of wheel. What do Indy cars use?

Quote:

.................Weights should be about 30degrees apart and 2 on each side of wheel........

I've never heard that before!! And aside from 2 small weights being more appealing to the eye than one massive weight, I don't understand what advantage there would be.

Capri,

WAAAAAAAAy back in the pre computer days we used a SnapOn balancer that worked similarly to that. Tire/rim, even hub if you wanted to go that far, were mounted on a shaft with centering cones, then shaft was set across 2 uprights with 2 bearings each (shaft set between bearings, kinda in a V) heaviest part of tire went to bottom (gravity), a sliding weight measurment bar was installed on end of shaft and adjusted to give amount of imbalance. Then pointer was swung from side to side to indicate weight application points. SAME AMOUMT of weight was applied at two-O-clock,and ten-O-clock as total imbalance. Creating 3 heavy and 3 light spots. Worked real well untill popularity of radials. And yes, SnapOn did say to split weight equally between front and rear of wheel.

This system may sound extremely complicated, but it wasn't. And was far superior at the time to ANY bubble system.

Best,

Bob

Bob,

I am still having trouble understanding what splitting the weights apart does from a physics point of view. No matter how I try to envision this, I still come back that a single weight is functionally equivalent to two weights, provided the single weight adds up to the two weights (OK, the math is more complex than that, but you get the idea!)

Think it was a ---- sales point for SnapOn, that three equally spaced heave spots were more ideal than two heavies 180deg of each other. Never made sense,,,just the way we done it! Also splitting weight front and back was supposed to be better, as these old machines had no way to determine if weight was better in or out for dynamic balance.

Bob

Quote:

Bob,

I am still having trouble understanding what splitting the weights apart does from a physics point of view. No matter how I try to envision this, I still come back that a single weight is functionally equivalent to two weights, provided the single weight adds up to the two weights (OK, the math is more complex than that, but you get the idea!)

Bob, given the same amount of accuracy in position, two weights give you better control and less sensitivity to slight operator error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back