Pennzoil Platinum UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 DOHC 315 HP GAS.

I tow a 17 ft. boat alot.
Mobil EP oil filter.
K&N air filter.
3010 Miles on oil. Using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.
47,163 on motor. It has seen alot of Pennzoil.
Sample date 7/27/07. No drain - kept using the oil.

Aluminum - 2 Univ. Avg. - 3
Chromium - 1 - 1
Iron - 16 - 13
Copper - 2 - 4
Lead - 1 - 4
Tin - 0 - 1
Moly - 50 - 66
Nickel - 0 - 0
Manganese - 0 - 1
Silver - 0 - 0
Titanium - 0 - 0
Potassium - 1 - 1
Boron - 32 - 64
Silicon - 9 - 13
Calcium - 2716 - 2190
Mag. - 11 - 93
Phos. - 629 - 712
Zinc - 725 - 832
Barium - 0 - 0

SUS VIS - 56.9
Flash - 360 F
Fuel - 0
Antifreeze - 0
Water - 0
Insol. - .2
Blackstone comments - If you hadn't told us you towed a boat with this engine, we would never have after guessed. The Univ. Avgs. column shows typical wear from this type of engine after 4900 miles on the oil. You ran this oil 3010 miles and most wear read below Avgs. Iron is the only one higher, and that's a result from towing. Still, the 3pmm diff. between iron and the avgerages isn't enough to matter. Bearing wear ( copper, lead, tin ) looks especialy good. Trace of fuel elements is harmless. TBN read 4.8, still lots of additive left. Nice engine!

You got to love Pennzoil Platinum !!
banana.gif

I forgot to add that I put it to the floor alot. Smoke alot of HEMI Dodge trucks !!!!!!!!!!!!

nice truck and UOA. my cousin loves his titan. he yanks his 26ft offshore boat right out of the water with that thing. its a powerful truck

Ive owned my trucks and all brands. Nissan is #1 Ford #2. IMO.

i would take yota trucks #1 and GMC trucks #2... lol i have had ford f150's and so have my dad and we wont buy another ford truck. we bought them when ford was really building ---- trucks back in the late 90's when they cut corners much more so than now.. both were a POS. i had the 5sp 6 cylinder lariat 4x4 and he has the 302 autmatic 4x4 both are 1997's.. mine was totaled but he still has his and hates driving it..

Back to the UOA. I'm thinking I wouldn't be proud of that Fe level. Is this typical for this engine? (I don't trust the silly Blackstone UA's)

3K miles, 16 ppm Fe isn't going to kill you, but nothing to crow about. Look for a cause aside from towing.

well he did say he smoked a lot of Hemi's too on top of pulling weight. it looks like he doesnt treat his nissan all that well so i am not surprised to see the iron that high and i am really really surprised its not higher than that

Quote:

went to toyota and never looked back.. FAR FAR FAR better quality..

Until the 2007 Toyota thier trucks could'nt tow real big loads. I have had 1 and was not impressed. I am very impressed with the TITAN.
cheers2.gif

Quote:

Back to the UOA. I'm thinking I wouldn't be proud of that Fe level. Is this typical for this engine? (I don't trust the silly Blackstone UA's)

3K miles, 16 ppm Fe isn't going to kill you, but nothing to crow about. Look for a cause aside from towing.

Nothing wrong with this UOA. Why don't you like Blackstones UA's?

Quote:

well he did say he smoked a lot of Hemi's too on top of pulling weight. it looks like he doesnt treat his nissan all that well so i am not surprised to see the iron that high and i am really really surprised its not higher than that

Actually I treat it very well. This past month I did race a but. Usually The only load on the engine is towing.

I contend that Fe is elevated. (my opinion). It's a VERY short OCI.

Blackstone's UA's are not really all that universal. No sample size is given and no consideration for conditions, added oil, etc.

Quote:

I contend that Fe is elevated. (my opinion). It's a VERY short OCI.

Blackstone's UA's are not really all that universal. No sample size is given and no consideration for conditions, added oil, etc.

Thanks for your opnion Pablo. There was no make up oil. It doesn't use a drop as far as I can tell. I am very pleased with this report. 16 Fe is not bad at all. My engine see's alt of towing - ALOT !!
grin.gif

I love the Nissan Titan but the recent (as of the past few years) quality control issues kind of turned me off on them. I really like Toyota pickups though. I've recommended them to friends of mine who bought them new and haven't had an ounce of trouble with them yet. And they know next to nothing about cars/maintenance... That's saying something
smile.gif

IMO i would trade my titan for the new toyota tundras. I drool over each time i see their commercials lol. Toyota knows how to up the competition when it comes to pickup trucks. Overall, the towing may have done something to your sample here. It'll be interesting to see my UOA with Mobil1 0w-40 next time i sample it after i haul a couch 400 miles to houston. Also been hauling about 2000 lbs worth of stuff recently too. My UOA could be quite interesting...

The low flashpoint indicates fuel dilution, you should be at 390 or above. I wouldn't go beyond 5000 miles if you're planning on keeping the truck for a while. If you push it hard, 3000 mile changes would be better. For expert analysis, send your next sample to Terry Dyson. Blackstone only catches fuel dilution if its extremely bad.

Dennis

Quote:

IMO i would trade my titan for the new toyota tundras. I drool over each time i see their commercials lol. Toyota knows how to up the competition when it comes to pickup trucks. Overall, the towing may have done something to your sample here. It'll be interesting to see my UOA with Mobil1 0w-40 next time i sample it after i haul a couch 400 miles to houston. Also been hauling about 2000 lbs worth of stuff recently too. My UOA could be quite interesting...

Toyota knows how to up the competition?? Toyota trucks laged behind in tow capacity and HP for years. 2004 It was the Titan that up the comp. Then Ford again. Finaly in 2007 Toyota made a truck that could actualy pull a real heavy load for a 1/2 ton. Then Ford up that again. I think the Tundra is a fine truck. But when the dealer let me pull 8700 ilbs with it for my test drive I felt the truck was quite unstable compared to my Titan. The Tundra had only a marginal acceleration bebefit, but i'm not racing with a load. I still like the Titan for a true truck and heavy loads and it has lots of power.

Quote:

The low flashpoint indicates fuel dilution, you should be at 390 or above. I wouldn't go beyond 5000 miles if you're planning on keeping the truck for a while. If you push it hard, 3000 mile changes would be better. For expert analysis, send your next sample to Terry Dyson. Blackstone only catches fuel dilution if its extremely bad.

Dennis

The lower flashpoint for this oil is 365. I'm not worried about 360. Well see next UOA. I should maybe have alittle fuel dilution due to the fact of alot of short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back