Is Top Tier gas overrated??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always been using Shell and Chevron.
But recenly Marathon bought a bunch of these gas stations and have to use Marathon instead which I hate.

From Marathon site, it says:
"High Performance Detergent Additive provides the following benefits:

Meets the EPA’s 1997 Final Rule on Gasoline Deposit Control for Keep Clean performance.

Provides Clean Up performance by removing deposits on fuel injectors.

Passes stringent BMW unlimited mileage test for intake valve cleanliness.

Meets Ford Motor Company’s requirement for gasoline demonstrating "Intake system deposit control."

Removes deposit build-up in fuel injectors and carburetors."

Sounds compelling to me but what do I know! Any thoughts?
p.s.,BMW test is very tight standard for intake deposite.
It also blends 5.7~10% ethanol in their gas which seems high.

well 10% EtOH is normal for gasolines as a maximum due to the new reformulated gas standards. All Gasolines meet the 1997 deposit control requirement, Top Tier goes above that based on a few automotive requirements, with Shell having the most detergents and cleaners.

Do all these additives help? Who knows. We just want the gas to burn soot free basically! if it doesn't we're left with deposits because the gasoline product was not pure and left a varnish and more on the intake valves, exhaust valves, spark plug, and entire cyl.

Ethanol in the gas acts as a cleaner alone, they say. It's mainly used in todays gas as an octane booster.

I would stick with Shell/Chevron. I think its a better product.

I use Shell, BP, and Marathon gas, no real difference in gas mileage between the Shell & Marathon, but I always get poorer mpg with the BP. Does the Shell (top tier) keep my fuel system cleaner? I don't know if it does or not, but I always run Regane/SI-1/Techron through just before my 5K oil changes regardless.

id say most all gas is good enough. my car has about 180K miles, on its original fuel system no less. i still beat the epa fuel economy estimates. ive had the injectors out of the car to test them and make sure all 6 are spraying properly and not leaking. they were all fine.
just for kicks i reciently bought a bottle of techron concentrate and run it through the tank. i didnt notice a difference in anything. its still got the slightly rough idle. still gets the same fuel economy.

so if i can go 180K on cheap gas i would have to believe that the current crop of gas is good enough for most people.

Quote:

I would stick with Shell/Chevron. I think its a better product.

Agree.
I used the lowest grade Marathon in my bike and turned out to be not good at all. My bike did not like it at all and gave the lowest mpg ever. Switched to it highest octane and actually worked well same as low grade Shell/Chevron.
There is no shell around here any more but there are some Chevron left which I suspect are going to be bought by Marathon. What is the deal with Marathon buying all these pumps?
mad.gif

1986 Jetta with 315k miles and never had a problem and still on the orginal injectors and pumps.

I've never had the injectors off the head!

All I've ever done when buying fuel is make sure that the station sells alot of fuel. Just making sure fresh fuel and thats it.

I've never had a single problem with any fuel delivery system since I've been driving. (too many years!)
grin.gif

As far as getting better MPG with the "top Tier" fuel, My last 3 tanks have been over 45mpg with one over 46mpg using Flying J regular fuel. Thats with the A/C on 100% and driving 70-75mph.
thumbsup.gif

My 3 cents.. Bill
patriot.gif

Best I can tell you is that I forgot a couple times to empty the tank of my mower and once it was a cheap gas.
Foloowing spring I had to disassemble/clean the whole carb to get the thing started. Cheap gas is cheap quality and inconsistent cause you never know where they get from based on day to day rates.

GM is also pushing the Top Tier fuel. They basically tell us they are seeing more driveability problems caused by fuel quality problems. The Top Tier fuels go above and beyond the norm for fuels.

The best thing is that here (La.) Shell regular is a top tier fuel and priced the same as non top tier fuels.

Personally I am seeing more dirty, failing fuel injectors than ever, and complaints of fuel mileage dropping. Sounds like a lot of fuel distributors are cutting back on their fuel additives. We've had to take some intake manifolds off for cleaning, and they are carboned up so badly they can't be cleaned, and must be replaced.

Years ago I used to buy Arco gas because it was the cheapest...well, not any more. I usually frequent Costco, because they are cheaper than anyone else in town, plus they move alot of gas. It is not uncommon to see the fuel delivery truck there several times a day. They also maintain the pumps very well. (Filters, etc) I would still use Shell and Chevron too. Every once in a while I'll run some Lucas UCL or Techron to help keep the injectors clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back