2005 Toyota Camry auto tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother's camry just rolled over the 30k mark and I decided to do some maintenance...and as I was looking up info on the tranny fluid, it doesn't say to replace it...and neither does the 60k mark or even 90k mark...it says to INSPECT the transmission fluid...

To the toyota camry owners...at what mileage are you guys replacing the tranny fluid? This is mostly freeway miles with a little bit of hard city driving here and there...is the 30k mark a good mileage to change the auto tranny fluid?

Also the owners manual stated that only genuine toyota ATF fluid can be used...if any other fluid is used it will cause problems...is this true or just marketing ----?

oh yeah, another question in regards to this thread...when should I replace the auto transmission filter? I know you don't have to replace this quite often...but is every 60k a good interval?

Unless you are towing (where Toyota mandates a change every 60k miles), you are asked to inspect the fluid condition every 30k miles and replace on an as-needed basis. The correct fluid for this vehicle is a T-IV/JWS3309 type.

I would just drain and refill the pan (through the plug) every 30k miles with T-IV fluid from the dealership. It takes about 4 quarts @ $5-$7/qt. Cheap insurance if you think about it, though some may disagree with me and consider it necessary to do it even sooner, but to each their own.

Filter really doesn't need to be replaced until 100k or more if regular fluid changes are done. The filter may just be a screen on these units.

I agree with The Critic here.

I've got the same car as your mom but with 90,000 miles.

Just changed the transmission fluid for the 3rd time with the Toyota T-IV... still shifts like the day I bought it.

It only takes 4 quarts (drain & refill), so why not ust the T-IV? Just remember to replace the crush washer & you're done.

cheers.gif

If its T-IV, take a sample for a UOA. You might be surprised.
I would flush that transmission.
If a drain/refill is all you want to do, practice a more frequent interval. At this point, I'd consider 3-4 back to back drain/refills with at least 10 miles of driving between drain/refills.

I'd also flush the PSF at this point too. Siphon/refill is acceptable if you don't want to flush.

Bleed your brakes.

There are various universal/multivehicle ATF's that can be used if you don't want to visit the overpriced dealer's parts department.

Owners manuals tend to be overly negligent with most maintenance. Manufacturers make money selling cars. Why would they give you a maintenance program that'll make the car last forever?

thanks for all the replies guys! I will just drain and refill the trans fluid every 30k...and do a full flush at the 90k mark...I should be set to go, right?

Anyway, what kind of fluid should I use? I mean, the owners manual did say I have to use type T IV fluid from toyota...or else I can mess up the transmission...Do I really need to use this stuff? Just wondering if there is a "better" alternative out there....who knows, Toyota might just market some generic dino oil and stamp it with an "official" seal and scare customers into buying their stuff..

If a single drain/refill at 30k and 90k flushes are the plan, STICK WITH THE OEM FLUID.
Hopefully Mom doesn't drive too aggressively. If she does, the failure would be best not blamed on a competitor ATF.

Your planned maintenace is nothing to brag about. UOA mom's old ATF.

10k drain/refills and 30k flushes, if the plan is to keep the vehicle forever, should be considered. No ATF maintenance needed if vehicle is to be traded-in.

Is this the 4 or 6 cyl?

this is a 4 cylinder model...my mother does not drive aggressive at all...I'm the one who actually drives it semi-aggressively...but then again...I only drive the car once a week (versus 5 times a week by my mother)....so that is why I put "mostly highway miles with a little bit of aggressive city here and there"....

Well I guess we plan to keep the vehicle for a long time...I wouldn't say forever though...we are probably looking at 10 years...so that means a new vehicle for mom at 2015 (vehicle was bought in 05)...I'm sure by then the car will have about 180k miles...thats just the beginning for toyota vehicles right?

to make it very simple just do a drain and fill (4-5qts) every 15k miles and you will never have to worry about a flushes or your oil breaking down. i do that for my tacoma and it only uses dexIII which isnt quite as good as the T-4 ATF fluid

Case price is stated in the link, $107. PC price is $78.

Rapid drain and fill means, drain all pan contents and refill with exact amount of new fluid, 3 or 4 or 5 times every few miles or every 100 miles.... no precision to this number, just get it changed quickly, not drain and fill every 20 or 30K. (Which I think leaves to much old fluid in)

so i could buy a case of ATF for 80$ and just do a drain and fill every 10-60 miles up to 3 times? you think that would get most of the old fluid out? i can pull out a lil over 4 qts a pop. after i were to do this how often should i drain and fill for maintanence?

If you signed up as a preferred customer (PC) for $10 (six months) or $20 (1 year) the ATF would cost $78 for a case of 12 quarts.

3 X 4 qts. should give you a high percentage synthetic ATF in the transmission. 4 changes are better, but it should be good for 50,000 miles no problem. If you were to fully flush the transmission I would say you could go 100K. Which tranny do you have? What is total fill volume? (More that 4 qts come out?) An alternative for a tranny with well worn fluid is to do the first 2-3 drain and fills with an inexpensive (but clean and new!) ATF. Then do the next 3 with Amsoil ATF.

Quote:

Automatic Transmission, 4WD Initial Fill..........2.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
A340E..........7.6 quarts
A340F..........11.0 quarts
A43D..........6.9 quarts

its an automatic 4wd and it says its 2.1 drain but its more like 4.5 qts drained. in the last 40k miles i have drained and filled 3 times with valvoline maxlife dex/merc. i think the fill capacity is 12-16qts total.

patriot.gif

Look for Amalie Universal Synthetic ATF

Try this stuff, if you can find it. Synthetic at 1/2 the price of Amsoil.
approved.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Call 2 or 3 dealers and ask for a "case price" on the T-IV. I have gotten it for about $4/qt. Do 3 drain/fills 1 week apart now and 1 drain fill every 2nd or 3rd oil change and you are good to go for a long time. Check with the parts guy at the dealer for the filter type. Many toyotas only have a non serviceable screen so no need for a pan drop ever.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back