VQ35 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
jag, i too started out with GC then when it became hard to find, switched to mobil 1 0w40 european. Even though GC is now back, based on your UOA's i see no reason to switch back to it, this mobil 1 is just fine for the vq35.

I've had my g35 since day one, the oil has always come out blacker than black. You can actually pull out the dipstick at 2K miles and the oil will already be black. At 3k miles the oil is 2-4 times darker than my trucks oil at 5k miles. the truck is a toyota tundra v8 (2002).

I have run into more than a few people who own both a G35 and a Tundra. I wonder why that is? I agree that the G35 seems to be hard on oil. It seems that the Toyota 4.7 V8 is one of the easiest engines on oil.

I have been running M1 EP 10w30 since the car was new, I run 7K OCI's in all of them. The tundra and Maxima the oil looks clean on the dipstick and it isn't until it's in the pan that it looks dark. The G35 the oil looks black on the dipstick within 1,000 miles of the oil change.

I figure it doesn't really matter. These engines have a good history, even if the oil turns black. My '06 G35 has 40K on it now. At this rate I am changing the oil about every 2.5 months. I am more worried about how long the clutch will last than the engine.

Has anyone used Esso's XD-3 0w30 in a VQ35 motor? We just finished an auto-rx treatment and are switching to this with hopefully good results. Will post the UOA after 10-15k kms or so.

XD-3 is very nearly a 40wt. It has excellent resistance to shearing, and excellent TBN retention. I've used it with good results in my wife's Acura, but Terry D. felt it had too much phosphorus for that engine design. I did not ask why, but instead stopped using it. That would be my only concern here, and you may want to investigate why higher phosphorus might be bad for a japanese car engine as compared to a diesel engine (for which this oil is designed).

If you search the UOA section by my username, you could likely find my Acura UOA on XD-3. Not sure how relevant it would be.

Went with the xd-3 0w30 and will change it out in 10-15k kms. Will post the UOA when the time comes and hope for some good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back