10W30 in my scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm riding an '06 Burgman 650 and am considering switching from 10W-40 oil to 10W-30. I noticed that both Castrol and Pennzoil High Mileage 10W30 oils do not indicate "Energy Conserving" in the API symbol. Anyone switch to 10W30 in their bike? Opinions/thoughts? Thanks.

Yeah, the manual says 10W40 but it also references SG service category which became obsolete in '93. I wonder if the manual isn't a little out-of-date. Seems like XXW30 would flow a little better, run a little cooler and give a little better mpg. I'm curious if any other bikers have switched to 10W30.

Quote:

Yeah, the manual says 10W40 but it also references SG service category which became obsolete in '93. I wonder if the manual isn't a little out-of-date. Seems like XXW30 would flow a little better, run a little cooler and give a little better mpg. I'm curious if any other bikers have switched to 10W30.

My 2007 Goldwing calls for 10W-30 as the recommended oil viscosity. But it allows a 10W-40 when "average temperatures" are up in the 80 and above range. The graph they provide is pretty imprecise, so I'm just guessing that the starting point is around 80. In Tucson the summers clearly meet that criteria. But winter is a different game ... there the 10W-30 would map to their recommendation.

Trouble is ... what 10W-30? Honda only makes one 10W-30 and it's their new HP4S synthetic ... at $9.50/quart at the local dealer. Too rich for my blood. I'd love to try the Rotella Triple Protection 10W-30, but I can't find that anywhere around here. Amsoil makes a 10W-30 "small engine" oil that's also JASO MA ... that would be the closest match I can see. All other 10W-30's I see in the store have "Energy Conserving" on the label.

Eh ... I'll probably stick with the 40-weight year round.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back