Castrol SLX LL04 - 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this is why the previous GC is no longer avalible. Wonder if it will make it to the U.S. market?
dunno.gif

I don't know if the two products are the same or not. It was desribed as I have it on the subject. No mention of the word "professional". It also went on to say it had not been released in the U.S. market as of yet. Perhaps the product you mentioned has been released to dealers for use in BMWs. The two may be one or one version is for dealers and the other possibly released to parts stores. I do not know but I wil try to get the article up for all to see. Maybe you can make more sense of it.

One more thing. I thought the "professional" product was a 5W30. This product was definitely a 0W30 and they repeatedly called it Castrol SLX LL04-0W30

You're right. I see references to SLX LL04 coming from Europe. I also read the LL-04 is a low emissions spec for some filter on the latter BMW. That is on top of LL-01 requirement which almost required GrpIV except the Castrol BMW stuff. I'm not a BMW user but German auto.

You're also right the SLX Professional is 5W30.

I had heard from one manager of AZ that the reason GC was being deleted was to get ready for a new product to replace it. Now,how in the world an AZ manager would have access to that kind of info is beyond me but it would be nice for Castrol to not just turn a deaf ear to alot of loyal 0W30 customers. I know in the big picture GC sales were small in the U.S. but those were some pretty loyal customers. I suppose time will tell.

I can't read French but only the "PowerFlow" ones says something about 100% synthetic. As I nderstand "synthetic" in Europe means Grp IV. Maybe the regular Professional is GrpIII/IV.

"Synthetic" in Europe could mean anything these days, including group III. Since people over there seem to be less concerned with the minute details of particular oil composition, manufacturers can squeeze anything by them. As long as an oil meets their car's mfg spec, that's all that matters because for the most part, they use whatever oil their dealer uses, at least while they're under warranty.

Heck, even here in the US manufacturers seem to be squeezing group III as full synthetic more and more, and what can we do about it? I guess we can stop buying it. Then again, who's to say that group III oils don't offer the protection that our engines require?

This is where the confusion begins for me. You talk to the real 0W30 junkies and ask them why they know GC is a PAO and most will tell you it's becouse it couldn't pass the long-life specs it does if it were group3. They say it has to be PAO to meet all the specs that it does BUT when an oil like MAXLIFE FULL SYNTHETIC meets the same specs and more they say it's "probably" a group3 with a good additive package. So which is it?? If a group3 can meet all those specs it definitely decreases the arguement about having to have PAO for long drains with clean engines. You can't say GC is PAO AND superior to group3 formulations if an oil like MAXLIFE is "just" a group3 and still meets all the specs of GC.
dunno.gif

First, the BMW LL-01 and and its superseded LL-04 approval ratings are not the same when considering additive package and base oil composition. The older BMW LL-01 is (was) strictly group IV and V base oils without the newer european C3 (lower SAPS) emissions rating of 2004. The BMW LL-04 allows for the inclusion of group III along with groups IV and V base oils.

Next, I don't believe there is a Group III that meets a 0W rating. So there is a good chance that the Castrol SLX LL-04 0W-30 is a C3 PAO with a API SM additive package.

I personally would differ the argument of Group IV being superior to Group III to those that want to debate it endlessly.

Bowser

I was at the VW/Audi dealer today and saw SLX 5w-30 on the shelf in the parts department. It was selling for $3.97 a quart.
shocked.gif

Quote:

Looks like Castrol reserves their finest products for European countries.

I don't think so. Arguably, GC is Castrol's finest product and it's widely available in Canada. My guess is that so many Americans labor under the misconception that any oil rated 0W is ''too thin'' and therefore don't buy a superior product like GC 0W30. In Canada, I believe people are more receptive to 0W ratings due to our cold winters, and GC likely sells better up here.

If Americans recognized how good GC is and were buying it in sufficient quantity to justify stocking it I'm sure Castrol would be glad to sell it to them.

Mokanic,

I think you have it right. Follow the spec's, let formulators formulate.

After study 'Synfluid' Q&A I believe adding 15-30% PAO to a GrpIII is about as good as it gets without the cost of full PAO. I think SynPower 5W40 and Maxlife Synth are examples (both meet C3 also).

I also believe that Shell XVHI Grp III is most advanced in that class but they may even use a dose of PAO to PP and QS Euro's and may be the combo on QS new Q-Horsepower 5W40 (to the normal adavanced list add Maserati and Ferrari)

PAO-like performance with GrpIII cost is what I'm looking for (I'm not a fan of 12-25K OCI anyhow).

Quote:

This is where the confusion begins for me. You talk to the real 0W30 junkies and ask them why they know GC is a PAO and most will tell you it's becouse it couldn't pass the long-life specs it does if it were group3.

No, they'd tell you we all chipped in and paid for some very expensive gas chromatograph tests of GC which revealed it's PAO and some exotic esters.

Quote:

Quote:

This is where the confusion begins for me. You talk to the real 0W30 junkies and ask them why they know GC is a PAO and most will tell you it's becouse it couldn't pass the long-life specs it does if it were group3.

No, they'd tell you we all chipped in and paid for some very expensive gas chromatograph tests of GC which revealed it's PAO and some exotic esters.

Are the test results listed on the European oil section? Obviously, I have missed it if it is.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are the test results listed on the European oil section? Obviously, I have missed it if it is.

Huge sticky thread right at the top. Real easy to miss.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back