Threadlocker... relaxer, softener, dissolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys, I used some red (high strength)thread locker on the nuts that hold my valve cover on because it kept getting loose. The problem is that it got hard before i was done tightening them all the way so they got stuck withougt being all the way tight and now it leaks a little oil from the back side of the gasket.
dunno.gif
I didn't know thread locker got hard so fast. Well, now I want to loosen the nuts and clean off the thread locker but i dont know what i can use to maybe dissolve it so i can remove the nuts without breaking anything. So, is there such a product that i can go buy or order? Let me know guys, thanks.
patriot.gif

Heat should soften the thread locker. Assuming you don't have a plastic valve cover, you could use a pocket butane torch. Heat those nuts only as much as necessary. I don't use any thread locker on the valve cover bolts. If you think you need any, use nothing stronger than medium strength.

Never, never use thread locker on aluminum threads-you will destroy the threads when removing. In aluminum I use a little RTV on the threads, when it sets up the bolt will not self loosen but can be easily removed with tools and without damaging the threads. Also, never use "red" thread locker on small fasteners or fine threads, it is just too strong.

Next time, use blue Loctite and clean the threads per instructions.

Blue is strong enough on clean threads. Never use red on something you want to take apart without heating it to over 350 degrees all the way through the threads.

I've used blue on aluminum threads since dirt was invented, no problem, just like Loctite says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back