Dura-Lube UCL and MMO don't settle out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed a new fuel pump in my '94 Grand Cherokee and let me tell you. Dropping a tank that's covered by a hitch and skid plate takes more than just one six pack.

That would be the third pump for this vehicle, and I never drive with less than 1/2 a tank. Should of taken my buddies advice and used a lubricant in the fuel.

My recent trip to the auto parts store provided only two solutions. 1. Marvel Mystery Oil, 2. Dura-Lube Upper Cylinder Lube. #1 smells minty, #2 smells like vanilla extract. Can both be used in cooking... eh probably not.

I was concerned, however, that either one would settle to the bottom of the tank and do nothing for my pump.

So I took two test-tubes and filled a mix of each oil and fuel together to see if any of the two settle out.

Picture001.jpg

This was the first addition of fuel to the oils. Not a practical real-world example since I did not simply "dump" the fuel in like a pump does. This lead to an interesting observation though as I could see that the MMO began to disperse itself through the oil. The Dura-Lube product did not, it simply sat on the bottom.

I then agitated the two tubes by hard shaking and looked some more.
Picture002.jpg

Both oils mixed with the oil quite well. I did roughly 25% by volume oil and 75% by volume fuel. But I over did it on the MMO as you can see. Ah well I overdose on that stuff anyhow.

I left both tubes overnight and checked the following day...

Picture003.jpg

To my surprise both samples still were a uniform solution. Neither one showed signs of settling out. I then put on some nitrile gloves and wetted my fingers to see if both mixes were slippery, not a scientific method but ah well. Both seemed about the same, none more slippery than the other which was odd since the Dura-Lube product is much thicker when you shake it around in the bottle. Both also left behind an expected oily residue when the fuel is allowed to evaporate.

So which did I go for? MMO, I can get the 32oz size for cheaper than the one-dose treatment Dura-Lube product. Keep in mind I don't have fuel economy in mind here, since the vehicle is anything but economical. I am, however, looking for something to extend the life of the pump and injectors maybe even function as a UCL.

I've been using MMO for a few days now and the pump does sound quieter. I listened to it before and after, and the after is toned down. Unless it's just the pump breaking in.

I'll attempt to do a burn test in a lab to see what pH value the ash comes out of for the MMO. And get my hands on some of that FP60 stuff I've heard so much about, but I can't find it locally. So I'll have to wait for it to ship.

Anyways thought I'd share this, be it not very interesting. Anyone ever mix MMO with 2-stroke oil? I wonder if that would add to the top end lube qualities?

Lubecontrol came out with FP-Plus (new name for FP3000)that they recommend as being a better UCL than FP60.

Thanks for doing this, I wonder if anyone has tried this with Lucas UCL? I just bought a gallon of it, but i still have a couple quarts of MMO lying around.

Aye, I will try to get a hold of the FP-Plus I have heard good things. Also I believe NAPA sells Lucas UCL so maybe I will compare the two. Look for the burn test and lucas and fp comparison soon.

I wonder if the DuraLube UCL is the same product as Lucas UCL, just produced under a different label? Both say "Tune-up in a Bottle" and are packaged similarly.

upper_cyl_lubricant_l.jpg
31AB6TKXP1L._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
I don't care for the Duralube bottles, everyone I had leaked terribly. Never had that issue with lucas. In fact, I use lucas bottles for dosing other adds.

Shelby you could be on to something there, do you by any chance know what the product smells like (I realize this is not a good indicator, but what the heck). The dura-lube at least to me smelled similar to vanilla.

In any case I have some Lucas and FP-Plus coming in soon to compare.

Mechtech2,
I did the same exact thing as you, and got similar results. Lucas and acetone is like oil and water, and seperates quickly. The MMO was a little different. The red color mixed with the acetone, but looking closely after the bottle had sat all night, there were two distinct layers of liquid in the bottle. I then experimented mixing all three in a bottle, and after sitting overnight, there were three distinct liquids in the bottle. But the red from the MMO mixed into the acetone. It was weird.
I may just have to play around with them some more tonight. This time I may use gas instead of acetone. I'll use my wife's good clear pyrex measuring cup so I can see through it easier than my slightly cloudy Lucas bottles
smile.gif

Dave

What are you trying to accomplish by proving that these substances are in fact miscible in gasoline?

Quote:

Mechtech2,
But the red from the MMO mixed into the acetone. It was weird.

Dave

The "RED" color is just a die they put in MMO. The die will will mix with almost everything, but doesn't meant the oil the the die was originally in will mix with everything

Quote:

Quote:

Mechtech2,
But the red from the MMO mixed into the acetone. It was weird.

Dave

The "RED" color is just a die they put in MMO. The die will will mix with almost everything, but doesn't meant the oil the the die was originally in will mix with everything

Marvel themselves (on their forum) have stated it will mix well with any fuel, with the exception of methanol(but it will with ethanol for some reason)

How these products mix with acetone shows nothing about how they clean or lube.
It's just that if you choose to use a little acetone, I'd stay away from using UCL with it.
UCL is better by itself than MMO by itself [in fuel]. I mix them for my fuel because of $ concerns.

The acetone test is an excellent idea. The oils in both products should separate from both products the heavier oil going down. Try gas and see how the longer hydrocarbons react. In my test I could not see any visible layers indicating separation. So either product would provide full mixing and consistent concentration throughout. That's what I was primarily concerned about.

Could the acetone test show that the lucas has a thicker oil base?

So methanol is nonpolar, but why does it not mix with MMO? I will get some from the lab tomorrow and take some pics.

Thanks for your input folks!

Ahah! Excellent idea Bruce! For some reason that never really crossed my mind. I will have to try that out later this week.

Quote:

So methanol is nonpolar, but why does it not mix with MMO?

Methanol is most definitely polar. All alcohols are. That's why they mix with water; water is polar too.

Why it would behave differently than ethanol I dunno. I seem to recall reading that same note from Marvel and I thought they said MMO wouldn't dissolve in engines using *pure* methanol. Whereas engines using E10 or E85 have enough non-polar gas in them to dissolve the MMO. Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back