Mobil 1-Less people using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
XOM tested M1 in harsh Vegas/dusty/heat/stop and go conditions, did tear downs, but people whine and complain about it. Amazing. Where are the other tests from other companies? I give Amsoil credit for their testing.Which btw, shows M1 to be a very good product.

The others in the mean time are releasing "adaptive molecule oils, SUV oils, super sludge protection oils and torture tests..oh and 4-ball wear testing". Don't people see a problem with that?

Didn't Amsoil use some of Mobil's base oil? Aren't they still using it today? That could partially explain why Amsoil gives Mobil high grades.

I like Mobil-1. I just don't like the people running it.

I think if there's been a noticable downward trend in the number of Mobil1 users, it could very well be due to more people educating themselves about Mobil1's standing against comparable, but lesser priced alternatives. Thanks to some BITOG members submitting their UOA results from using Penzoil Platinum, I'm a convert whereas before I wouldn't have touched a Penzoil product with a 10 foot dipstick. When's the last time you saw a really good sale price on Mobil1? I haven't seen any and believe me I look. Conversely, I'm taking full advantage of Pep Boys' and Penzoil's promotions. I have nothing against Mobil1, as I think the results have spoken for themselves (except the occasional claim about the infamous Mobil1 noise) but hey....a bargain is a bargain no matter who you are.

Quote:

XOM tested M1 in harsh Vegas/dusty/heat/stop and go conditions, did tear downs, but people whine and complain about it. Amazing. Where are the other tests from other companies? I give Amsoil credit for their testing.Which btw, shows M1 to be a very good product.

The others in the mean time are releasing "adaptive molecule oils, SUV oils, super sludge protection oils and torture tests..oh and 4-ball wear testing". Don't people see a problem with that?

I just got back from Las Vegas and even looked/talked to some cab operators (the ones who spoke clear english) and guess what, they use normal oil (bulk 10w-30 mostly according to the window stickers) and most of the cabs have high milage. (WELL over 150k on the dozen I saw/rode in)

Syn is not needed and even more, a "test" that showed NOTHING. Syn oil every 15k vs conventional every 15k.
smirk.gif

The Syn oil showed varnish in their tests. The conventional oil (which most use) changed more often gets the job done. At a lower cost.

They seem to change around 6k I gather.(the window sticker just showed the mileage and type of oil, no date since I'm sure they don't worry about time)
dunno.gif

I guess if you want to spend the $$ for syn, go ahead. BUT for the most part, your not going to see any benfits from it. When someone hits your car, the insurance company will not give you any more $$ because you ran syn oil. The engine will last either way.

I will not fall for D U M B marketing. The Las vegas test and now the Castrol syn 29% more power longer ad is right up there.

Love the idiot who sits there drinking the soda and his "not any more" comment when asked is that not the oil that you use?

Yeah, we all run our cars on rollers.
bop.gif

Amazing.

Buster, how is it that most of the cars on the road are making high mileage without running HM oils or Syn? And you know just as well as I that they are NOT getting changed every 3k or 3 months.

Any company who does this test or that test is doing it for one reason, to SELL stuff. Good for them. But always take a look at the bottom line.

I look at what has worked for me for the last 30 plus years. And knowing that todays oils are FAR better than the stuff I used in the 70s and got hundreds of thousands of miles with. (and remember that I have run syn and done UOAs to see if there is a difference)

I know some think that a $20 UOA is useless until it shows their oil having low wear. Then its the cats meow. But for me is that I've seen many an engine make 200k + with normal oils.

With your Honda, 7,500 miles on GTX, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc would be no problem.

The cars that we see having problems would have had problems with no matter what oil you run. My 99 Taurus for example...
crushedcar.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

The conventional oil (which most use) changed more often

Bill I don't disagree at all. I understand your postion and absolutely agree. I know for a FACT that regular oil at moderate drain intervals is as good as a synthetic in most conditions.(non-turbs/heat/cold etc) Absolutely. All I'm saying is, if time is that valuable to you, you have another choice. To really see the benefit though with synthetics, you have to use them for at least 12k miles to call it worthwhile. Right now bc I'm driving so much, I'd rather spend a bit more and feel safer going 12k miles per drain interval. At some point I'm sure I'll use regular oil again. Let's not forget Mobil sells other oils and not just M1 EP.

Will someone other than me tell Bill the real purposes of using synthetic oils. He still doesn't seem to understand it, despite being here since 2002. Make sure to also point out to him that is was his own folly to formerly believe that he'd get better UOAs with synthetics vs dino oils in applications where the dino oils were not overly stressed.

He put me on his ignore list so he may not see my post.

Buster,

My time is worth nothing unless someone is paying me.
tongue.gif

I'm still trying to get my boss to pay me for my oil changes but he can not get past how is it helping him?

(since my engine is well protected I show up for work on time everyday, so he does get rewarded for my oil changing!)
laugh.gif

He is still not falling for it.

As far as Mobil selling other oils, the BEST non-sale deal out there is Mobil 5000 for less than $9 for a 5 qt jug!

And its a good oil, I'm not a fan of it due to the salt in it,(and how that shows up in UOAs) but it works well. I'd run it with no worries.
thumbsup.gif

(I think we both drive the same mileage, My 05 is up to 83k)
driving.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

buster, I see you already did what I was hoping for. You da man. It probably won't sink into his mind but at least you did your part.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they had changed the conventional oil every 3000 miles and the Mobil 1 every 15,000 it would have been fair.

I don't see it this way. I'm not sure what the issue is really. The test was supposed to compare M1 to conventional oil. They are simply saying, if you don't want to change the oil every 3,000 miles try M1 EP. This is what happens when you run regular oil that long (sludge) so yes, M1 EP is a better oil and you're paying "more" for the extend drain capability of M1 EP.

Buster, that's just ridiculous. Neither the oil maker or the car manufacturer would recommend running conventional oil 15,000 even under ideal conditions.

GM OLM going off at 15.5k miles
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If they had changed the conventional oil every 3000 miles and the Mobil 1 every 15,000 it would have been fair.

I don't see it this way. I'm not sure what the issue is really. The test was supposed to compare M1 to conventional oil. They are simply saying, if you don't want to change the oil every 3,000 miles try M1 EP. This is what happens when you run regular oil that long (sludge) so yes, M1 EP is a better oil and you're paying "more" for the extend drain capability of M1 EP.

Buster, that's just ridiculous. Neither the oil maker or the car manufacturer would recommend running conventional oil 15,000 even under ideal conditions.

GM OLM going off at 15.5k miles
dunno.gif

And as discussed in that thread, there may be something wrong with his computer and it needs to be checked.

Stuff happens!
wink.gif

Most of the others have their OLM going WELL off before 10k so the orginal posters OLM is not normal.
dunno.gif

I would have it checked.

So far, the only MFG that has the longest recommended OCI with normal oil is Honda with 10k miles.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Still using it with great results
cheers.gif
, and the price
wally has it is just icing on the cake for me.

my GM fleet loves the stuff,no plans on stopping any time soon..

There is indeed a lot of pigeon holing going on here. That is, YOU tell ME why I'm using synth oil, and then YOU shoot MY (actually your) reason full of holes.

For just about every oil out there, there's a good reason to use it, and a good reason not to use it, based on the application and the user's preferences -

If I've got an engine that's relatively easy on oil, and I don't mind the hassle of an OCI ever 3 to 6 months - then DINO.

If I've got an engine that has a history of turning good dinos to a jellatin state (98-2001 Sienna's, turbo VWs, etc) then I want PAO.

If I want the lowest wear numbers possible (and I don't have a Jello maker - see above) then I want Schaeffers blend.

If I live near the Artic/Anartic then I want PAO.

If I'm a whale loving enviro-wacko or a enviro-exploiting rich dude running a Jaguar that recommends 18k OCIs, then I want PAO.

If I want a great 6k OCI oil and I hate Mobil 1 for their "deception" and/or profits and/or etc, then I want PP (or equiv. grp III).

yada, yada, yada.

But a pigeon hole can be formed such that DINO is THE option. But if I put a dino in my 98 Sienna, I'd have to start eating anacid tablets.

And to answer "M1-less people using it?" - my Sienna has used M1 reg. line and EP but is now being transitioned to 0w40 (top offs) and will in the future run M1 0w40 or the equivalent. BTW, I don't view PP (non-european) as equivalent to M1 0w40 for my extended OCIs in a tough engine (w/ all due respect to PP - apparently a great oil.)

BTW 2, I am fairly ignorant of Schaeffer's oil except for some incredible anecdotal evidence that I heard this last wkend (will post that soon). So I may be mistaken (above) to not trust Schaeffers against a known harsh engine.

ericthepig summed it up nicely. That is the bottom line.

JAG, it seems everyone misses the points you and I always refer too when talking about the use of synthetics. Why I don't know...
smirk.gif
cheers.gif

Synthetics:
Long drains(>10k miles)
Extreme Temps
Turbo applications

Everything esle:
conventional

Oh btw, most of your so called conventional oils are synthetic blends bc most contain significant group III. So Bill, technically you are using a synthetic blend. Keep that in mind. Cherry picking date based on certain engine types is not fair. Of course conventional oil in a Toyota Corolla or Subaru will do fine for 7.5k miles. Try running that 15,000 miles and let me know if you need AutoRx for deposits on the rings.

They just priced themselves out of my "acceptable for what you get " range .

I can go 5,000 - 7,000 on a good conventional oil.

for the price Mobile one is not worth it according to their own advertisment policy
Quote:

If Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for 15,000-mile intervals, what’s the maximum limit to which it can be pushed? In other words, if a driver goes an extra 1,000 miles or so, is he going to damage his engine?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for up to 15,000-mile or one-year oil change intervals. However, if your vehicle manufacturer recommends an oil change interval beyond 15,000 miles and Mobil 1 meets the performance level specified, you can be assured that Mobil 1 will go the distance.

then on the next sentance they say this
Quote:

Upon what driving conditions are these performance claims based? Normal or severe driving conditions?

These claims relate to all typical consumer driving conditions, excluding those mentioned below. In other words, if you drive under normal conditions and use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in your vehicle, the oil is guaranteed to protect your engine for 15,000 miles. We also recommend that drivers consult their owner’s manual while their vehicle is under warranty, and follow the guidelines set forth there. Additionally, we recommend that if consumers drive routinely in severe conditions that they follow the oil change interval recommended in their owner's manual for severe conditions. We define "severe conditions" as:

racing or commercial applications;

frequent towing or hauling;

extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or

excessive idling.

so what they are saying grandma driving her car to sunday church once a week can go for 15,000 miles everyone else use factory OCI
NO THANKS
smirk.gif

"Short trip" was left off the severe list. Most companies give themselves that wiggle room. I credit M1 EP for that gutsy move.

I don't think LV taxis have grandma driving habits.

Meanwhile, I share in the discontent towards M1 and the EP product line. I suspect your paying for the warranty (lots of luck in court), and for the "shock and awe" of a 1yr/15k statement (I'm impressed with the oil and the guarantee, but not overly so).

At this time I still trust a PAO in my vehicle over a grp III. I have no idea what the base stock is in M1 EP - but that's the thing, $30/5qt jug is PAO money (to me), and yet I have no assurances that's what I'm getting. EP has likely seen my last $.

Buster,

Quote:

Of course conventional oil in a Toyota Corolla or Subaru will do fine for 7.5k miles. Try running that 15,000 miles and let me know if you need AutoRx for deposits on the rings.

Why is the heck would I want to run something for 15k miles?

I'm a cheap skate but not lazy or D U M B.

I'll spend less than a buck for a quart of oil and get to 300k with ease. I don't NEED to run 50 cent a quart oil for 12k or 15k.

Its called VALUE. For what you spend for a quart of oil I'll do the change. I'll change every 5k and still spend a lot less than you'll doing 15k ocis.

And in the end, I KNOW I'll have no issues. Maybe you will or will not, because with extended OCIs, we don't know how each car will do.

With 5k, alot less chance for errors IMO (like running low/out of oil, leaking filters, oil run past its limit, etc)

Cool, you do what your going to do and I'll do what I've been doing for over 30 years.
thumbsup.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

PS: I guess the SG, SH and SJ oils I've used in the past were syn -blend since they have taken my past engines to 200k plus.
cheers.gif
(or, I forgot... It's never hot here (we have had 100 degree days everyday for the last month. And it never gets cold here. Oh, and every engine I've serviced or used is a "easy" engine on oil)...

I'll put that in the folder with don't trust UOAS and any gas other than "top Tier" is ----.

(Not ticked off, just blown away how facts get blown away by marketing or a thought process that alot of people here have.)
dunno.gif

Bill, just answer these questions for me: What oil would you use in the following:

1. High performance car? Turbo/non-turbo (Vette/Porsche etc.)

2. Extended drains beyond 10k miles?

3. Northern US/Canada where winter temps go well below 0?

4. Cars that come factory filled with synthetic?

5. Daily drivers driven very aggressively?

Thanks.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back