Mobil 1-Less people using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a Mobil 1 user. I've decided if I'm paying that price I will run Amsoil and know I have the best product for the money. I did stock up on $1.99 and BOGO Pennzoil Platinum for 2 of my vehicles.

I understand what you are saying buster, the comparison clearly shows that conventional oil cannot make it 15,000 miles.

If they really wanted to keep it fair, they should have done like Amsoil did with the New York taxi cab test. One set of taxis uses 3,000 mile conventional OCIs, another set uses 6,000 mile Amsoil OCIs, another set uses 12,000 mile Amsoil OCIs, and the last set goes 60,000 miles with by-pass filters (filters were replaced at 12,000 miles I believe). Then the tear-down was done, and it showed deposits and wear were less than, or equal to, with Amsoil compared to conventional oil. It demonstrated less costs, less downtime, and that extended drain intervals protect equally or better.

Quote:

Looks like Mobil 1 isn't so average after all and this Las Vegas tests prove it.

This "test" from Vegas was like Mike Tyson taking on a pack of grandmothers.

If they had compared themselves to GC or some of the other quality synthetics, M1 would be proven to be a very average performer. You'll NEVER see that test from M1.

Yeah, but from a marketing perspective, that test is a winner! You gotta give credit where credit is due.

Seriously, a lot of profits are made in this world by exploiting lack of information or stacking the information deck in your favor. That is why sleazy car salesman survive in the car market place and that is why 15,000 mile Las Vegas tests work.

I've switched for several reasons: 1. High price for a product that is not appreciably better than many dino, dino/syn blends or group III synthetics for 5000 mile OCIs; 2. Higher iron in many UOA's (after all, wouldn't I purchase a more expensive oil in order to expect LOWER wear numbers?); 3. Repeated obfuscation and outright lies by Exxon/Mobil corporation not only regarding their oil products, but gas prices, environmental concerns etc. I have a stash of PP 5w-20 for my Honda and after that runs out, I'm going to try Motorcraft 5w-20. I've looked at many Motorcraft 5w-20 UOAs and, as long as the OCI is reasonable, the numbers look really good. No matter what, PP, Motorcraft, Valvoline Maxlife and several others appear to do well at a fraction of the cost of Mobil 1.

Quote:

I discontinued using it because they reply to questions in a twisted, deceiving, cover-up manner.... not because I disliked their oil.

cheers.gif

I hear you!

I still use Mobil 1 0W-40 in some cars, and Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 in my Duramax.

But Redline, Elf, GC, and the $1.00 after rebate deals on Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 / 5W-30, and Valvoline 5W-20 / 5W-40 fill my shelves now.

Moble one is still big with the toyota 4 runnners croud although im a Amsoil user and probley will still continue to use it.

M1 is also big with the Corvette crowd because it's the factory fill oil. Could you imagine how many millions that Mobil has made because of that? You've got so many people out there who think that because if it's good enough to be the factory fill oil for the Corvette, it's got to be good enough for almost anything.

I'm not saying that M1 isn't good oil but I think there are better ones out there without so much hype.

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like Mobil 1 isn't so average after all and this Las Vegas tests prove it.

This "test" from Vegas was like Mike Tyson taking on a pack of grandmothers.

If they had compared themselves to GC or some of the other quality synthetics, M1 would be proven to be a very average performer. You'll NEVER see that test from M1.

What other quality synthetics are you talking about that can be purchased locally from the east to west coast and have a 15,000 mile warranty? I'd really like to see this list of synthetics that can not only do this but also make Mobil 1 look like an average oil in the process.

I'll put Schaeffers 7000 up against it at those intervals, and that isn't even a full synthetic.

I kind of agree. If M1 EP is so average, lets see another company make a 15k mile oil and guarantee it and sell it practially anywhere. I'm not interested in "SUV, Sludge protection,Horespower oil". Wear metals could be lower with EP, but it's still a decent product.

Quote:

M1 is also big with the Corvette crowd because it's the factory fill oil.

Yea and the oil filler caps on C5-C6 Corvettes say "Mobil 1 5W-30". The average driver reads that and thinks M1 is required. Pretty sweet deal for Exxon/Mobil...

Think of how much Mobil1 is sold to dealerships dealing with cars like the Porsche 911 where the owners are less likely to change their own oil, and therefore aren't inclined to do any research for a viable Mobil1 replacement. They just take the 911 to the dealership where Mobil1 is installed, done deal. They're making big bucks by default.

Quote:

What other quality synthetics are you talking about that can be purchased locally from the east to west coast and have a 15,000 mile warranty? I'd really like to see this list of synthetics that can not only do this but also make Mobil 1 look like an average oil in the process.

That's not the point. The point, which was clearly spelled out by G-man, is that Mobil did not test against other synthetics, but against dinos. Mobil 1 might very well be the best but that test stacked the deck so hard in its favor, it was virtually impossible for Mobil to lose.

It's as if lance armstrong claimed he is the greatest cyclist in the world and then proceeded to *prove* it by beating my grandmother.

I have been anti Mobil since back in the day when I sold parts and they 1st came out with their "synthetic" oil that was really a blend. Haven't trusted them or used their products since then. They have been crooked from the start. Add in how they are the biggest gas company raping us at the pump and I am surprised anyone uses their oil. I really find it amusing to read posts by guys on here who have just caught on to how crooked they are and that their oil is at best mediocre( compared to other premium synthetics ). I've been saying that for years and I always get shouted down. I love being right. :)

Mobil 1 has become so popular for a couple reasons. Others have already touched on one reason and that is it is factory fill on many performance vehicles so many just assume it is the best. Actually, untrue. Just means they gave the mfg the best deal. The other reason, and IMHO it is the biggest reason, is you can go in to Wal-Mart and buy a 5 qt jug for just a fraction over the cost of premium conventional oils. Guys can buy it cheap so they do. "Why should I spend $6-$8 a qt for Royal Purple or Amsoil when I can get M1 for $5 qt?" Because, you will get a better product. Cost seems to be a huge factor foor most and I don;t get it. If you want to run synthetic because it is a better product don't cheap out and buy an inferior one just to save a few bucks. If you think that cheaper oil is better( like some do with PP )than all the more power to you.

M1 is decent oil although I have never thought it was as good as so many claim. I would never put it in the same class as Royal Purple, Redline, or Amsoil. I just never did understand all the hype over it? Guess whoever handles their marketing deserves a 400 million retirement package like their CEO got.

For me, I spend a little more and buy Royal Purple @ $5.75 qt. Costs me less than $10 more to use RP than M1 and IMO I have a far superior product. ExxonMobil and all their subsidiaries can go to blazes as far as I am concerned.

One of the great things about oil forums is the humor I get out of it. Many posts are as useful as hearing what kind of cereal you like most.
smile.gif

Here are my questions for you, NHSilverado. BTW, I'm not asking them to be mean. I'm asking because I'm curious and it is good for us forum members to be forced to think about why we think what we do. The process increases learning.

Why do you say the first Mobil 1 motor oil produced was a blend? At that time, there was no use of Group 3 base oils in synthetics. Using Group 1 as additive carrier oil was and still is in practice.

It's inevitable to think that certain oils are better than others. But WHY do you think that Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline are better than Mobil 1. Better in what way? Do you think all Mobil 1 oils are of similar quality and performance? Do you think all Amsoil oils are of similar quality and performance?

NHS no offense, but you're really misinformed. Mobil 1 has always been a Group IV/V based oil until recently. Royal Purple is among the most over rated oils I've seen on this board and is not as good as Mobil 1 at all IMHO. You really should do more researching bc obviously you're not aware of the poor results RP has shown on here.

You seem to know or think you know what the engineers like Mercedes Benz etc. actually do to test their engines/oils. I will not say M1 is the best oil out there, but it's still a very good product (even by Amsoil's own testing LOL).

Formulations are cyclical. They go thru phases where sometimes they are great and sometimes they are not. Take pre-API SM Amsoil. Wasn't that impressive IMO. New additives/base oils are always coming around and constant upgrading is done.

Amsoil will be releasing a White Paper soon on gear oils and it will be interesting to see where some of the brands end up.

BITOG is a great site for learning, but's it's also created a lot of false assumptions.

Has anyone really ever seen an engine wear out using any oil? There are people running Corvettes to 300k miles using nothing but M1. One of them was tracked too. Until people experience engine failure, deposits etc. using M1, it will remain a popular oil.

I would venture to say as a market leader, more people are using it, atleast for certain applications but that doesn not mean someone else like PP and Castrol cant be price competitive and make less usage a reality for Mobil, especially with all the bad pub its gotten here at BITOG. For me, since honda uses Mobil from the factory and I parlayed that with using Mobil dino for the first 21,500 miles, trying M1 full syn was probably an inevitable occurrence but not quite. I would almost say Mobil 1 is essential to try if you have a Honda/Toyota given some reports here that it works well in Toyota and now my testimonial that it works well in my Honda anyway. It just revs so freely and my ride loves to rev so its a happy co-existence.

Last edited:
Talk about misinformation and stretching the truth? Some here throw out M1 is 5 times the price of conventional oil and try and compare M1 at 15,000 miles to 5 3,000 mile OCI's with dino. At the vast majority of outlets dino is well over $2 a qt.. even pushing the mid to near $3 mark.... blends well over $3 a qt. M1 EP is around the $7+ range.

Where is the 5 times price advantage that is bantered about so much here?

While many here buy oil on sale and use rebates IMO most people do not. Isn't comparing M1 at full price to any other oils bought on sale and after a rebate just as sleazy and dishonest as what many complain Mobil does?

Also I have seen as have others a price drop at WalMart on M1, .putting it priced less than all other major synthetics besides PP...but how often is that mentioned by the M1 is high priced bashers?

Don't like XM or Mobil 1? No problem here. It is just amusing how this gets so twisted.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back