Good mountain bike for $350?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know if thats possible but I had to ask. I live in Florida right now so it won't see much but I plan to move to NC sometime so I will be using it a lot more there. TIA.

You can get a good, serviceable Motobecane MTB for around $400 from bikesdirect.com. A little bit of assembly & adjustment will be required when you get the bike, but it's no big deal, unless you don't wrench at all.

FWIW, for under $1000, you can get an awesome MTB from bikesdirect.

Thanks everyone. I took a look at that website Bill, Thank you and now I want a Fatboy also. Those look awesome. Looks very comfortable to cruise around on.

There are a lot of bikes for sale, very gently used by those that took up the sport for several months and got bored. It might be worth you time to explore getting a used bike. Some of the newest models show up. What out for stolen ones, though.

I just bought my stepson a Giant. I forget exactly what model, but it's an aluminum hardtail. It has a Suntour shock, mechanical discs and some kind of Shimano Rapidfire shifters. It was about 415 bucks. I feel it was a good price. The bike seems sturdy. I took about thirty minutes dialing in the brakes to get them working nice since the guys in the bike store seemed incapable.

Cool thanks again guys! I have thought about going used. I will take a look at the Giants. Thanks again.

I bought a $200 Schwinn from Target and in my uninformed opinion it works just as well as my $450 Gary Fisher bike.
dunno.gif
If you're not a hardcore biker you may not notice a difference.

I just spotted a few Gary Fisher MTB's on eBay for $400 or less.
And a fairly sweet Diamondback for $475. Not to mention a Schwinn Moab disc for $350.
If only I could find a DBR Zetech Comp like my 99...

Quote:

How much have you used this $200 bike?

I used it all summer riding about 12 - 20 miles per day. If anything it may have been lighter than my Gary Fisher bike. Before that I bought a model from WalMart that was stolen within a week. For a relative novice, I would recommend any of the Chinese made Schwinn bikes from Wally world or Target that are available for $175 and up.

In my way of thinking the difference between the more expensive brands sold at a major discount retailer and the ones sold at a bike shop is like the difference between Supertech Synth and M1/Syntec; or between Korean made Kumho tires avaibles @ $60/each and Michelin tires priced at $140/each which happen to have the same traction, tepmerature, and treadwear rating. With the more expensive Schwinn bikes sold at Target or Walmart you're still getting Shimano gears, an aluminum frame, and the exact same shocks that are on the Gary Fisher. There may be a difference, but it isn't big enough to matter to someone who isn't passionate about the product.
fighter.gif

Great, if it works for you. But hey, I have ripped the door hinges off a Civic by accident, so maybe I do require something more substantial.
wink.gif

Quote:

Great, if it works for you. But hey, I have ripped the door hinges off a Civic by accident, so maybe I do require something more substantial.
wink.gif

Haha!! Mori, you and I are in the same club. I buy everything based on it's abilty to stand up under 260 pounds. Even my eyeglasses and wedding band are titanium.

I have a Yukon and it works well (had it a little over 1 year and have about 1,000 miles on it. I ride it for exercise and would ride it more if I was home more. I tried to buy an American made bike but couldn't find one w/25" frame without paying over 1K. BTW it has been converted to a hybrid. Dealer swapped the tires when it was new for smooth ones, C-9 seat, riser handlebar stem. I have a little under 600 bucks in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back