no top tier gas stations near me. what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in western pa and do not have any of the so called top tier gas availible. the only local stations are bp, citgo, sheetz, and sunoco. what brad should I run? I would like to keep my engines clean without adding anything to my fuel.
frown.gif

Top tier required ethanol. Maybe you will get better gas mileage with the other companies, as long as they have enough detergents. Isn't BP a good brand?

Shell has been a consistent leader around here, they claim no ethanol.
Ask around; mechanics, car dealers, etc..
Be specific though, just because the premium grade of a particular brand, is good stuff the regular could be common run stuff, that several brands get.

Quote:

I live in western pa and do not have any of the so called top tier gas availible. the only local stations are bp, citgo, sheetz, and sunoco. what brad should I run? I would like to keep my engines clean without adding anything to my fuel.
frown.gif

I know how you must feel. My 3 convenient Phillips 66 stations converted to Marathon gas this week. I still have a couple of local Shell stations though. A little further to drive, but still worth the trip in my opinion.

I would run sunoco - very fresh gas usually and high grade. Run injector cleaner every 3000-5000 and you'll be 100% fine.

Don't use Citgo. I'll never use their products. Hugo Chavez needs to go away.

Quote:

Top tier required ethanol. Maybe you will get better gas mileage with the other companies, as long as they have enough detergents. Isn't BP a good brand?

Where do you get it that top tier requires ethanol?

Anybody know if Chevron gas is good? I'm assuming that it is because Techron is a good injector cleaner and they claim to add it to the gas. Thoughts?

Quote:

It's so. Here are one of the requirements to be called a top tier fuel:

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1.Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.
2.Contain no less than 8 volume percent olefins. At least 75% of the olefins shall be derived from FCC gasoline as defined by CARB (advisory letter, April 19, 2001).
3.Contain no less than 28 volume percent aromatics.
4.Contain no less than 48 mg/kg sulfur. At least 60% of the sulfur shall be derived from FCC blend stock.
5.Produce a 90% evaporation distillation temperature no less than 290°F.
6.Produce IVD no less than 500 mg averaged over all intake valves.

Quote:

Quote:

Where do you get it that top tier requires ethanol?

Does ethanol reduce gas mileage?

Quote:

Quote:

Don't use Citgo. I'll never use their products. Hugo Chavez needs to go away.

Yup, haven't used any Citgo products for years and never will.
usa2.gif

Funny, I used to think this too, but the same tanker that fills the Exxon gas station tanks drives across the street and fills the Citgo tanks too. The real problem here is that US companies found all of Chavez's oil and our environmental extremists put these areas off-limits to US production, and Chavez said thanks. Now, who's the stupid ones here??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back