Fix my router!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as Netgear tells me to call Earthlink b/c everything should work and Earthlink tells me to call Netgear b/c they don't support other folks home networking products, can someone tell me why I can't get my wireless router to work? I mean, I can't even get the wired connection to my iMac to work, much less use the wireless. I've run the wizard a gillion times, spoofed my mac address, etc.....

I've got a DSL connection. I used to have a wired router and a cable connection and never had issues. But my cable service was too unreliable and I switched. Now I can't get anything to work......I've had this thing since Christmas and intermittently taken it out and tried to get it to work to no avail...

I'm thinking you may need to adjust your firewall. Also I've been using some software call "Network Magic". It's designed for the home user and you can try it out for fifteen days for free. It will help.

I had the same issue with a Linksys VOIP wireless router made for Vontage. The router would communicate with a computer but not allow internet access. My last effort, of many, I disabled the 128 bit WEP encryption and just used the MAC address filter to allow access. Have not a problem with connecting to the internet since.

Well, I have a mac with OSX.2.8. AFAIK, I have everything turned off. But, on startup, I know there is a moment when the startup screen flashes "Loading firewall."

I started with a Linksys. I could get it to work wired to my mac but couldn't get it to work wirelessly with my wife's Win 98 2nd Edition laptop. So I took it back and swapped it for the Netgear setup b/c it promised Win 98 compatibility. Well, I can't even get this one to work wired! My wife isn't using her laptop as much now so it's not been any worry but when my MIL comes to visit (as she's done a lot lately), she's always wanting to check her mail. There was a neighbor with an unsecured network she was using but now they've wised up. I'm getting really tired of unhooking my computer and running the cord across the house.

I'd also add I used to have a wired router set up in our previous house between our computers and never had a problem. I don't know if this is a DSL issue or what....

Need a little more info.
Deal with the wired and then the wireless.
What type of DSL modem? (brand and model)
Are you getting a dhcp address from the netgear?
Can you ping the router?
Are you able to get to the web gui on the netgear?
When was the last time it worked?
Do you have a ll the correct light on the dsl modem?
What happens if you connect directly to the dsl modem with the pc are you able to get out then?
Has this ever worked did you complete the initial set up, does your dsl require a username and password to connect?

Im not at home so this is from memory-
1.Zyxel DSL modem
2.don't remember
3.don't know, haven't tried
4. Yes
5. never
6.yes
7.works just fine-not a modem issue
8.no, never. My cd drive is not functioning but I can run the wizard from the router setup. It detects my settings no prob and thinks it's working just fine. When I go to the "Help" it says my problem is more than likely the MAC address. It tells how to spoof. I did what it says and no dice. My ISP is earthlink and they don't require a username and password, afaik. I tried that anyway and it still doesn't work.

A DSL service almost always requires a user name and password to be entered. If you're using a router, this information needs to be entered on one of the router's setup screens. At the same time, you have to choose the right type of encapsulation (I think Earthlink uses PPPoE).

i've been on the phone with earthlink many times in the past when I have lost service from just my modem. The first thing they do is have me setup PPOE. Invariably it is never an issue and they tell me to turn it back off. Might I have to diregard this with the router? Why would it be different? I can say I've never tried the PPOE on with the router.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back