would synth RotellaT 5w40 meet VW 502?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says full synthetic and it quite cheap at wal-mart.
dunno.gif
seems like a pretty good one

No it does not. Rotella T synthetic is a good oil for use in heavy duty applications, and that is what it is rated for. That does not mean you can not run it, but if you are worried about the proper oil in your 1.8t, then I would run an APPROVED 502.00 oil. If it says meets or exceeds 502, that is not the same as approved. I learned this from experience dealing with VW on sludge issues. If you have a Passat with the 1.8t, run either Castrol Syntec 5w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40. I chose the more pricey ($10 per liter)Motul 8100 Etec 5w-40. And save all receipts for the oil and filter, and date everything. 1.8t's seem to be hard on oil, especially if the breather and PCV systems are not up to snuff. Even with synthetic, I would not go much over a 5k OCI.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! yeah, i want to stick to 502 oils for my car, namely the ones that memebers here have recommended. I still have another 1k on the M1 0w40 that I'm currently running. This oil sparked my interest, though. I'm thinking of using the RotellaT in my mother's Volvo 240, it seems like it might work well. I just haven't found much about it on BITOG

Quote:

No it does not. Rotella T synthetic is a good oil for use in heavy duty applications, and that is what it is rated for. That does not mean you can not run it, but if you are worried about the proper oil in your 1.8t, then I would run an APPROVED 502.00 oil. If it says meets or exceeds 502, that is not the same as approved. I learned this from experience dealing with VW on sludge issues. If you have a Passat with the 1.8t, run either Castrol Syntec 5w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40. I chose the more pricey ($10 per liter)Motul 8100 Etec 5w-40. And save all receipts for the oil and filter, and date everything. 1.8t's seem to be hard on oil, especially if the breather and PCV systems are not up to snuff. Even with synthetic, I would not go much over a 5k OCI.
Hope this helps.

He asked IF it would meet 502, and it would. Pretty much any 5w-40 is able to pass the old sequence from 1998, run on an old VW Jetta 2.0. I would welcome any facts or numbers comparison which indicates a 5w-40 which would NOT meet it.

the 502 specs were all run on 98 jetta?? i didn't realize that... I'm suprised to see that the list is made up of all synth oils (please correct me if i'm wrong on that) because I've known quite a few owners of those jettas who's engines remained in excellent condition running dino.

I can see why the 1.8t's require synth, but were the 2.0's from that era really that hard on the oil??

502 was more for the European market, for shop service at extend Euro OCIs. VW trolled it up for the US market as a bandaid for the 1.8t debacle. All mfgs spec their own spec oils, rather than say "go for A3" or "MB 229.3 is ok". So, Castrol, as Audi/VW's "Official Oil", geared-up to supply the original Belgian formula here. Other makers who had a Euro Approval started to stamp VW 502 on their oils, some so fast that AoA "approved" a list that has errors. For instance, Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 which meets 502 in it's thicker Euro blend but not in it's N.A. 10cSt formula. It, however, still appears on AoA's list. For VW 502, you need an A3 oil(HT/HS>3.5cP) that meets mpg, cold-cranking and volitility stipulations. Basicly, any 5w-40.

I just read the manual for my friend's 2007 A4q. It calls for VW 502, but mentions A3, A5 & B5. I'm not sure SynPower 5w-30 even claims A5. Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 does.

http://www.infineum.com/information/consumer.html
A3 doesn't go with A5/B5. I think A1/B1 and A5/B5 oils are like our GF-4/starburst oils.
He wants a A3/B3, A4/B4, A3/B3/B4, etc. oil. There's a list that might help.

RTS or M1 5W40 TDT would be good Walmart oils. I'd skip on the M1 0W40 unless it was winter.

Valvoline says their MaxLife Synthetic 5W30 and 10W30 are "Recommended for engines specifying API SL/SJ, ACEA A3/B3/B4, BMW LL01/98, VW502.00/505.00, MB229.3/229.1." I found the 5W30 at one Walmart for ~$4/qt. I'll try it in the BMW this winter.

Quote:

It says full synthetic and it quite cheap at wal-mart.
dunno.gif
seems like a pretty good one

The 1.8T runs pretty hot, so you need an oil that can stand the heat.

The Rotella T might work, but it was never tested against the VW 505.00 or VW 502.00 spec.

From the Rotella website www.rotella.com
Quote:

Can Shell ROTELLA® be used in gasoline engines?

Diesel engines are different from gasoline engines in a number of significant ways which also affect the properties required from an oil.

Gasoline engines use different fuels, run faster and hotter than diesels.

Diesels are renowned for reliability and long life, but this relies on the engine oil providing the protection against the type of engine wear and deposit formations specific to diesels engines and fuel.

Shell ROTELLA® T engine oils are developed with the diesel engine in mind, and also meet gasoline performance credentials.

Check your owner's manual for the correct API performance category for your engine.

Based on what Shell has to say on the subject, it would appear that Shell prefers that you use one of their other products. For example, the Quaker State Q synthetic motor oils. But none of them meet any VW specification, either. [Quaker State is a division of Royal Dutch Shell]

I take that back. Quaker State Q Diesel Plus Synthetic Blend 5W-40 meets the necessary requirements for your engine. I do not know of any auto parts stores that sell it, but some Jiffy Lubes may carry it. (Jiffy Lube is another division of Royal Dutch Shell.)

Another note: despite being called "synthetic blend" it is actually a Group III semi-synthetic.

Last note: I am not recommending Quaker State Q Diesel Plus Synthetic Blend 5W-40. I think there are better motor oils for your 1.8T.

Dual-Rated Synthetic HDEO is prefered. What do you think Mobil 1 TDT is anyway? Euro 5w-40 carry diesel specs, so do plain otc oils like Mobil Clean 5000. In the case of Rotella T Synth and Audi 1.8t, it is an ideal oil. In fact, my friend w/the new 2.0T will be getting RTS in it alternating with the pre-paid dealer oil changes of Syntec 5w-40, so strong is my faith in it. 502 or now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back