Valvoline Synpower for drag racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nieghbor drag races a 67 vette. 580 CID. $30,000 for the engine alone. Slicks,wheely bars ect. 2000 HP with 2 stages of NOS. Best time in 1/4 is 7.55. Since day one his racing team has used 5w-30 Synpower. This oil was recommended by the engine builder. He has raced this car for 3 yrs. with several races a yr. Has anyone heard of not using a racing oil under these conditions. And he has never had a problem with the engine.
nopics.gif

I have no problem believing this. For horsepower gains, I'm sure sme racers run even big engines with a 10 or even 5-weight oil at operating temps. So even assuming that Synpower thins out to a 20 weight in extreme conditions, it probably protects just as well as other race oils.

Plus, with the cost of Synpower being a lot less than specialty race oils, he probably changes it after a day of racing, so it doesn't have to survivive much at all....

Oil related failures in dragsters is not as common as in road race cars. I doubt that running 5W30 synpower causes any problems at all! Running a thicker oil might, but this seems 100% plausible.

I want a ride in the vette!!!

I work with a guy that has a Mopar big-block, I am not sure of the cubic inches but I know it is serious motor...He says 1000HP...I dunno...he runs VR1 20w50...but says if an engine builder recommends 5w30 Synpower than go for it...Something about clearances...I ran before the non-bitoger started shouting about Pennzoil sludging...you know one must take what one learns from non-bitogers with a grain of salt...

What is his time before overhaul/ rebuild ? how often is the oil changed . I am sure the oil will protect if the tuning is spot on .Running 7.55 and having the motor work with the nos the guys know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back