ATF Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is about time to have the Transmission fluid changed on my car (see sig.) My owners manual says to use Volvo transmission oil 1161540- 8.

What other ATF's can I use? (Schaeffers, Amsoil, etc...)

The 2 you already mentioned are excellent fluids. A less expensive alternative would be Valvoline Maxlife ATF, which mentions AW/T-IV as an application for this fluid.

Mobil 3309 fluid or any other OEM fluid that is specifically JWS3309 compliant.

I do not recommend using any other "universal" ATF like Maxlife or Amsoil.

I just did a complete flush on my 2004 C70 HPT that uses an Aisin Warner AW55-50 transmission and after reading many other posts on the volvo forums, nobody recommended anything other than Mobil 3309 or the Volvo fluid at the dealer.

Why put a universal ATF that may or may not perform properly or be certified for use in a $3200 transmission when the right fluid is available at www.avlube.com for $57 a case?

Tim

Thanks for the info. After reading your post, I too checked out a few Volvo Forums. Everything I read agrees 100% with your suggestion. "Mobil ATF 3309 is the best/safest option." Not to mention, reasonably priced.

Quote:

See if Redline has an ATF for your spec.

Redline doesn't have a JWS3309 fluid. It is very proprietary. Toyota and Volvo are the OEM fluids, and I would guess that they are just repackaged Mobil 3309.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back