Protecting headlights from yellowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Though Ive had success with the 3M products for polishing headlights after yellowing, it still is an obvious problem. The only vehicle out of 9 that we have that it is not apparent on is my chevy pickup.

So, my question is, given that headlights arent very well protectd from sunlight/uv, etc., what is the best way to protect headlights from yellowing, hazing, cracking, etc. from the sun and whatnot?

Thanks!

The best thing I've used is the foam tire cleaner/protectants like that made by ArmorAll. This has UV blockers in it. Apply it to the lenses and rub it in at least once a week, and after each car wash.

r_arm_tf20oz_0706.jpg

Quote:

I'd also try 303. Has a UV 40 block in it.

But isn't 303 water based and for interior use only? Won't last very long on acrylic headlight lenses.

I had the same problem as started using 3m film (like the clear bra stuff) and it reduced it significantly. I don't think the film has any UV protection, but it seems to work to at least slow the yellowing/hazing/cracking significantly.

Jon

seal your head lights with a polymer or acrylic paint sealant.

i use duragloss, some people use zaino, some use klasse, etc.

Quote:

seal your head lights with a polymer or acrylic paint sealant.

i use duragloss, some people use zaino, some use klasse, etc.

That's what i do... I use meguiars #20 poly sealant about 3 times a year on my car, and while i'm at it i do the headlights & tail lights. Works great for me, my lights are clear & shiny
smile.gif

product.jpg

I've used this stuff on my headlights and other plastic lenses on my car since new (2003). The car has 93k on it now and the lenses still look new.

Found out about at work, our cleaners use it on aircraft windows.

Here at the shanty 303 Aerospace Protectant is used on vinyl seats and plasticy things such as the headlamp and taillamp covers.

"Nothing works better on clear plastic to prevent yellowing, hardening, and clouding."

Coot can't prove that statement.

"“Did you know?”

• Did you know that Orvis, America’s Oldest Mail Order Company since 1856, has used 303 Aerospace Protectant as a fly line dressing since 1987?

• Did you know that AMCO, the largest manufacturer of convertible tops, has recommended 303 Aerospace Protectant for over 20 years?

• Did you know that a problem with the neoprene material used in the Typhoon Lagoon inflatable boats at Walt Disney World was solved by treating them with 303 Aerospace Protectant?

• Did you know that Fleetwood, Winnebago, Thor, and other leaders in the motorhome and travel trailer industry specify 303 Aerospace Protectant, and will actually advise customers against other brands?

• Did you know that Design Automotive Group, leader in tonneau covers, only recommends 303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl treatment?"

Can't prove these, either.

"In the six years I have been using this product, with regular use I have found no noticeable sun fading or deterioration of my dash, vinyl interior fitments, tires and exterior trim. No other protectant beautifies and protects as well as 303 Aerospace.

303 adds years to the life of your car! Use 303 on rubber, rubber seals, vinyl, clear vinyl windows, vinyl convertible tops, tonneaus, car bras and coated leather interiors.

303 is a water based product that does not contain harmful petroleum solvents or silicone oils. It restores lost color and luster and makes aging vinyl look new again. 303 Aerospace treated surfaces repel dust, dirt, oils, tree sap & oil-based stains.

Leaves a natural, non-greasy, satin finish."

No proof available from Coot who is beginning to sound like a shill/tout for the stuff.

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=148

Click to read user comments.

Home page of 303

http://www.303products.com/main.php

Quote:

• Did you know that AMCO, the largest manufacturer of convertible tops, has recommended 303 Aerospace Protectant for over 20 years?

The new convertible top (thick vinyl) I bought for my early Bronco specified the use of 303 Protectant ONLY and even provided a small sample...

I use Nevr-Dull by Eagle One. Check out my Integra's headlights:
driverafteroe8.jpg

And I'm sure you're already aware how prone the Integra's headlights are to hazing and the likes. That's how I keep them looking clean
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back