M1 0w40 (euro) vs M1 5w40 (turbo deisel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

huh?

Guess we are both confused
ooo.gif

-I read your comment as the "turbo diesel truck" is evidently not "Delvac1"

But the link you provided states the complete opposite (that they are the same oil)

No, I was just saying evidentially they need to make sure they aren't saying Delvac 1 will outperform ALL formulations of M1 since M1 TDT 5W40 is the same oil as Delvac 1. Obviously it can't outperform itself.

Quote:

Obviously it can't outperform itself.

laugh.gif

BTW, the link above about Delvac 1 is outdated.

bruce381 tested the aniline point of three Mobil 1 oils for me and got:

Mobil 1 Aniline points

5W-40 TDT (Turbo Diesel Truck): 276F
0W-40: 254F
10W-30 High Mileage: 248F

A common TMP ester used in PCMO
Mobil's SpectraSyn Plus PAO of 6 cst viscosity has an aniline point of 257F. http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Public...traSyn_Plus.pdf

I don't know what effect on aniline point additive packages have. Also, maybe Bruce's equipment doesn't match Mobil's exactly. But...

276F for 5W-40 TDT is high and with such low values for esters I don't think it could have much in it. Delvac 1 has also shown near zero values for oxidation in VOAs which indicates there's not much ester in it. Esters have oxygen atoms in them so are picked up in the oxidation test.

Or maybe I'm just all mixed up. I do think M1 5W-40 TDT and Delvac 1 are great oils in the right applications. I have a quart of 5W-40 TDT mixed in with some other oils in my VW 1.8T right now and did in the recent past as well. It's a mutant blend used because I needed something to put in it in a hurry...I'm not doing it by design.

Quote:

Delvac 1 has also shown near zero values for oxidation in VOAs which indicates there's not much ester in it. Esters have oxygen atoms in them so are picked up in the oxidation test.

That's a good point and I feel a little dumb not thinking of it. It makes sense that the COO-R structure of an Ester would have an effect on oxidation.

Will

Quote:

Answer:

Mobil 1 formulas will deliver everything you need for your gasoline engine. In fact, during development, tests are run in both gasoline and diesel engines to demonstrate the superior performance of Mobil 1.

Mobil Delvac 1, which is designed for heavy-duty diesels, meets most diesel engine oil specifications, and also meets API SL certification. And because Delvac 1 operates in a different environment – diesel engines run longer, generate soot and run hotter, it contains different types and amounts of additives than Mobil 1. Even so, Delvac 1 still meets API SL certification for gasoline engines, and because of its high performance, we would expect it to do a good job of protecting your gasoline engine.

Diesel engines run longer, they generate more soot, but... they do not run hotter.

Mobil Delvac 1/Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 is an outstanding oil for light-duty and heavy-duty diesel engines. I think it would be fine in any gasoline engine where the owner might otherwise choose the Mobil 1 0w40. I do not think the OCI should be extended beyond what would be prudent with the 0w40.

Quote:

Diesel engines run longer, they generate more soot, but... they do not run hotter.

I'm not familiar with how hot your TDI runs, but most of the bigger Diesels I deal with DO run hotter.

Hammer

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not familiar with how hot your TDI runs, but most of the bigger Diesels I deal with DO run hotter.

There are some motor oils advertised as suitable for both gas and diesel engines -- for example, Mobil 1 0w40. They are good for a 10k-mile OCI in diesel engines (like the TDI), but only 5k miles in hotter-running gas engines (like the 1.8T).

Or maybe turbo-charged gas engines just run hotter than turbo-charged diesels. I'm not sure.

Gasoline turbo-charged engines run MUCH hotter than turbo diesels. Hence the need for different turbine materials in a gasoline turbo as compared to a diesel turbo. However, a turbo diesel will put the oil through more heat- because of the turbo center section- than a NA gasoline engine would. So combustion temps aside, the amount of heat the oil has to cope with is higher in a diesel than most NA spark engines, with turbo-charged spark engines typically being the hardest on an oil.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back