M1 0w40 (euro) vs M1 5w40 (turbo deisel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically regarding an Audi 1.8T (AWM) chipped engine:
-What do you feel would be the best over-the-counter oil for me? (note: engine has 90k+ miles)

I understand the 0w40 has been sheering closer to a w30 -- others have noted that the engine seems louder with this oil as well.
-Even though the 0w40 has the VW 503.01 approval -- I am worried that with the sheering, I could do better.

Owners manual calls for a 0w30: And I live in Sothern California
-Is the turbo deisel oil the way to go? (or should I stick with the 0w40)

(other suggestions welcome as well - thanks)

hornets_nest.gif

This is certainly an interesting question.
I have heared good stuff about the TD 5w-40, but have not really seen any UOAs.
I know that the Mobil 1 0w-40 has been shearing to a 30, but people have said that it usually thickens up later on. I have not seen any real proof for this either.
I will be using Mobil 1 0w-40 on my 1.8T in the GTI (64 000 miles) and I will be posting the UOAs. This is going to take some time, so I dont know if you want to wait for it.

Why not give either of the oils a try and get some UOAs and see what the numbers are?

From my experience, based on a couple of UOAs I have done, if you keep to the 5000 miles change interval (I am not sure if Audi is with this or if they are doing 10 000 mile intervals) it really does not matter what oil you use if it is on the VW spec list. Basically anything with 502 00.

According to the posts on here the TD 5w-40 is a more robust oil and will beat the 502 00 requirements easily, so it should do fine.

Let us know what you decided to do.

I grabbed some of the 5w40 TD
-Traded some Valvoline Synthpower for it (which was previously bought for real cheap). Thought it was MaxLife, but wasn't -- then I couldn't find SynthPower oil treatment to bring up the viscosity / so I swapped it in favor of the 5w40

I am going to fill up with this Turbo Diesel oil (with a M1 high capacity filter) ... I'll see how it does.

Just off warranty, and will be consistantly doing the oil myself here-on-out --- Think a UOA is called for (I want an oil that is consistantly available over-the-counter).

I'll post back up in a week or so, to let you know my inital "feelings" about the M1 TD.

I am also interested in this... i recently posted about oil for my 1.8t. What year is your audi? Mine "feels" like it really likes the M1 0w40 but I have yet to do a UOA (i will be soon though)

Is the M1 TDT a VW502 approved oil? I want to try it but I really want to stick to the ones on the list. I'm sure you've already seen this, but it's the list of approved oil:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0004.File.pdf

I see an M1 5w40 on there, but is that the same as the TDT?

(someone correct me if I am wrong) I believe the M1 5w40 is the Delvac-1 / and I understand the M1 TD is the closest thing to Delvac-1, over-the-counter.
-I am not all that familiar with Delvac-1 myself (but noticed it is sold out/no longer avail. on many VW internet sites).

My A4 is a 2001.5 (AWM)
-Regarding the VW approvals: I understand "503 01" is the best approval for a turbocharged Audi with over 180bhp -- got this info from a recent AudiDriver rag (Regardless, M1 0w40 euro meets this --- But the Castrol Syntec 5w40 does not). The M1 TD does not specifically have either approvals from VW; but assume that is because it is not marketed toward euro cars.

Can't argue that 0w40 is not ideal (only oil locally that I have found with the "503 01" approval .... post GC) -- Just am looking for clarification that the 5w40 TD will be even better (because my car is chipped, is getting up there in mileage, and driven hard in SoCa).

Can you get a hold of GC in your area? I used it in my AWM, and the UOA results were better than with M1 0w-40. The engine also seemed a bit smoother with the GC, but that may have just been my imagination.

I used the gold GC briefly -- No longer available here though (
rugerman.gif
AZone).
-The general "feelings" about the M1 0w40 are making me look out for a better, local, alternative.

I will be changing my oil on Monday (with the TD) - I'll post my inital impressions, and try to do a UOA later.

I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out for you. I'm trying to find that "special oil" but selection near me is limited... TD happens to be at Walmart.

Although I want to try Amsoil, I will likely stick to what's redially available around me which is: M1 TD and 0w40, SynPower 5w40, and Elf 5w40 (which is too expensive for me to probably get around to)

I've seen Shell RotellaT synthetic 5w-40 in the deisel section but I don't know much about it. Any thoughts on this?

Finding the oh-so-allusive Euro formulations of Pennzoil or quaker state is certainly a task.

I have never seen one.

I wish the Pennzoil Platinum Euro oils were not impossible to find....looks like they might only be special order.

Everytime I talk to an oil distributor they never seem very interested in doing business. I tried to order 55 gallon drums of Pennzoil Platinum and there doesn't even seem to be an option in Colorado to order from a distributor.

The nearest I could find was Kansas or New Mexico.

You can get PP Euro 5W-40 from the oil store dot com. I'm using it in my'06 GTI with the 2.0T FSI engine.

David

Quote:

(someone correct me if I am wrong) I believe the M1 5w40 is the Delvac-1 / and I understand the M1 TD is the closest thing to Delvac-1, over-the-counter.
-I am not all that familiar with Delvac-1 myself (but noticed it is sold out/no longer avail. on many VW internet sites).

M1 claims it's the same oil relabled for different markets according to their website.

Quote:

M1 claims it's the same oil relabled for different markets according to their website.

I see.. they actually call it Delvac-1, interesting..

Regardless: I've been driving for about a week with the 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil.
-Not too much to say, other than I have a good feeling about it. Car seems quieter at start-up ... and after a nice flogging through the canyons, its sounds smooth all the way up the rev-range as well.

Going to have a UOA in ~5k miles

The Delvac1/TDT 5W-40 is an Ester base stock oil. Around 20-25% depending on whom you ask.
I don't have a VW, but I can say the M1 0-40 has done very well in the Nissan VQ in my Z. Even through three track days, the wear results were one of the best of many different oils used. Not bad stuff, but I haven't tried the Delvac1 yet to compare. Maybe next oil change.

Will

Yeah, who DO you ask for that??? I'd heard the motorcycle oil was juiced with esters but don't remember hearing it about TDT/Delvac 1 <aybe I did and don't remember....

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...ine_Engine.aspx

Quote:

Question:

Mobil 1 vs. Mobil Delvac 1® for a Gasoline Engine
I have read on the Internet that Mobil Delvac 1 oils may provide better performance in high-performance passenger-car engines than regular Mobil 1, since they meet CF-4 specs. What about using Delvac in gasoline engines, especially high-performance engines?
-- "Tribological", Richmond, VA

Answer:

Mobil 1 formulas will deliver everything you need for your gasoline engine. In fact, during development, tests are run in both gasoline and diesel engines to demonstrate the superior performance of Mobil 1.

Mobil Delvac 1, which is designed for heavy-duty diesels, meets most diesel engine oil specifications, and also meets API SL certification. And because Delvac 1 operates in a different environment – diesel engines run longer, generate soot and run hotter, it contains different types and amounts of additives than Mobil 1. Even so, Delvac 1 still meets API SL certification for gasoline engines, and because of its high performance, we would expect it to do a good job of protecting your gasoline engine.

If you use your gasoline vehicle in "heavy-duty" service, Delvac 1 will provide many benefits compared to conventional oils. When compared to Mobil 1 performance, those benefits may not be as obvious, and in fact, Mobil 1 would be expected to outperform Delvac 1 in many gasoline applications.

(I'd assume the last sentence has something to do with marketing, but..) Guess I will have to try 0w40 next; and see if I can tell a difference

Quote:

Yeah, who DO you ask for that??? I'd heard the motorcycle oil was juiced with esters but don't remember hearing it about TDT/Delvac 1

Good question, and I obviously don't have the proof for it, and I'm not so stupid to bull people with the whole, "it smells fruity and is slick in my fingers" ----. But, if you search there was a thread discussing this and Molakule and Buster seemed to have good evidence on high ester content. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back