Redline vs AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whaaaat!!?! AMS claims that a test run by Redline isn't valid? I wouldn't have seen that coming. If companies are going to use "tests" for advertising then they are going to cherry pick the tests and competition. Thats the reason you won't catch me using either product.

Quote:

Listen lazaro - if you are going to post such stuff you need to site the source, date and put it in context.

I wish I could find the source, Im sorry but I couldn't find it, I did a simple one oil verses another oil search and found this information, I didn't want to post anyone else's website here, so I copied and pasted the info.

Quote:

Whaaaat!!?! AMS claims that a test run by Redline isn't valid? I wouldn't have seen that coming. If companies are going to use "tests" for advertising then they are going to cherry pick the tests and competition. Thats the reason you won't catch me using either product.

Why? Because they are using tests or cherry picking tests? I'm guessing your crankcase must be empty.
laugh.gif

Go see the Red Line facility, you'll like what you see. I don't think anyone at Red Line has said a bad word about Amsoil, and I've had several Amsoil dealers, none of the forum sponsors, trash mouth Red Line, Royal Purple, Lucas and others. It makes what they have to say less useful.

Quote:

Go see the Red Line facility, you'll like what you see. I don't think anyone at Red Line has said a bad word about Amsoil, and I've had several Amsoil dealers, none of the forum sponsors, trash mouth Red Line, Royal Purple, Lucas and others. It makes what they have to say less useful.

I agree. I maybe have had a professional comment or two about Lucas but I have never bad mouthed Redline or Royal Purple. In fact, in this very thread I have called out one guy on his post...... Amsoil corporate does NOT condone this practice nor do they write or say such things. I hate this chat, it bores me and disgusts me. To pass on some hearsay about the supposed state of a factory with no direct knowledge is just plain stupid.

FWIW I have been using Amsoil for almost 10 years and it seems to do everything it claims. I had doubts at first with the 100:1 boat oil but compression on my outboard is still good years later. I also have a 1/2 ton pickup truck with Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 in the rear end.

Quote:

Is there any data comparing the two??

Why not become one of the few? You appear to do enough events to go through both oils with relative even use in a season. Run a UOA via Terry Dyson and get his opinion on the other oil while you're at it. I don't know about your application, but methanol in a drag racing engine leaves lots of moisture in the oil. So much so that it actually settles out in the pan.

Amsoil's white paper on Gear oils is due out in about 2-3 weeks and RL is on that list.

I've often compared both oils and from my own research, Amsoil makes better oils than Redline. UOA's are better and so are people's experience with both. When I first joined this board, I would have put Redline and even Mobil 1 ahead of Amsoil. Over the last 2 years I'd say, Amsoil has improved their quality and is making very good oil.

Just looking at alternatives, Pennzoil Platinum 15w-50 is widely available. Valvoline VR1 Racing 20w-50 is worth a shot too.

chkiaar,
Welcome to the forum.
Your application is a good candidate for having a few UOA's with a "Dyson analysis".
Blackstone Labs is a lab that sponsors this website, and they will send you a free sample kit......and you can order a Dyson Analysis through them.

Terry Dyson is also a site sponsor, and is experienced in helping people answer just the questions you have, based upon the data gathered from the oil from your engine.

Your situation is much different from the masses.

Include the information you have mentioned as to the vehicle, its modifications, and how the vehicle is used with your sample.

Wow, I sure didn't mean to open this big of can of worms. you all are sure passionate about your lubricants. Fellow racers at the track use Royal Purple and probably swear by it. The guy I had bought our car from used Redline, and agin swore by it. Another buddy of mine that runs a dragster uses dinosaur juice, BUT he was the one that told me how good AMSOIL is.
I appreciate all the information and comments and will probably just have to take the plunge.

THANKS!!

Quote:

Wow, I sure didn't mean to open this big of can of worms. you all are sure passionate about your lubricants. Fellow racers at the track use Royal Purple and probably swear by it. The guy I had bought our car from used Redline, and agin swore by it. Another buddy of mine that runs a dragster uses dinosaur juice, BUT he was the one that told me how good AMSOIL is.
I appreciate all the information and comments and will probably just have to take the plunge.

THANKS!!

Before you take the plunge you might want to consider Brad Penn's Penn Grad 1 racing oil. This is good stuff. Top Fuel racers swear by it because of its ability to resist shear even with brutal amounts of fuel dilution.

Quote:

Please, my intention was not to "trash mouth" Redline. I merely repeated something I got from someone I consider to be a reliable source. Apparently (at least according to what you say) I was wrong.

I am not a person that's in the habit of "trashing" anyone. Rest assured in the future I will verify "rumors" before I post anything. I consider myself to be a stand-up honest person and intend to stay that way.

As I stated before, please accept my apology for any wrongs I have done.

I will be more careful in the future.

Maybe I came in late BUT:

""ASTM tests, as any informed entity in the lubricants industry knows, are designed for use with new (unused) lubricants, not used oil.""

NOT TRUE there are ASTM tests soley for "aged" oils AND many times the original test are "modified" beyond original scope as needed as long as test procedure has valid samples the "modifed" test is OK and is stated as a Modified test "article here is WRONG"

The question about are both oils "aged" the same is a valid point.

""Red Line's claim that their oil is designed to become more effective as it reacts with blowby gases is absurd.""

Yeah it is, is that in writing somewhere or did they say that there oil resists breakdown from blow bye gases better and thus offers lower wear rates?

Or was this re-phrased by someone?

Ask them what they said they are not idiots.

I would rather a oil holds its performance for the whole OCI. NOT one that by drian time is causeing high wear or sludge/varnish.
bruce

""Please, my intention was not to "trash mouth" Redline.""

Sorry it sure sounds like it I think you need to know more what you are talking about before blabing on.

Bruce

Quote:

Sorry it sure sounds like it I think you need to know more what you are talking about before blabing on.

Bruce

I've already apologized twice. What more do you want?

Quote:

Quote:

Bruce

I've already apologized twice. What more do you want?

I've restored your ability to post in all the forums. Now be a good BITOG citizen, okay?
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back