2.2 Ecotec OLM and GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running 6 month-7000 mile OCI in a Saturn Ion 2.2. This time after changing oil and resetting the OLM in April and running 5000 miles the change oil light came on in the car, the light had never come on in the past. I had a UOA done in April and it came back with great numbers. Up until three months ago the car did almost all city driving. Now it is doing 90% highway. Do I change the oil according to the OLM or run it out to the 6 month mark?

So you've done 5Kmi in ~3mo? Was there some high heat or major bumper/bumper usage to make the OLM time out quicker? 3mo/5Ki would be the quickest I've ever seen an OLM prompt for an OC. Provided it was reset properly prior to the last OC, I'd change it now.

Joel

No high heat, all highway miles, just a lot of driving the last 3 months. OLM was reset properly.

Those OLM are based off what the vehicle specs. The vehicle doesn't differentiate between PAO based synthetic or conventional. The OLM is based on the additive remaining in the oil specd for the car. If you just did a UOA and you've been doing 7K and everything is fine and nothing is changed in regard to the oil used, I don't see a problem. I'd take it out like you have been if you are satisfied with the results. Considering highway miles are generally easier on engine wear than stop and go city miles and your highway miles have INCREASED, you should have no probs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back