2002 Kawasaki KLR650, Mobil 1 4T, 3,000 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a fellow KLR rider (this isn't from my bike). I figured I post it here for posterity.
smile.gif

Aluminum: 65
Chromium: 1
Iron: 42
Copper: 35
Lead: 3
Tin: 1
Moly: 55
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 1
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 0
Boron: 97
Silicon: 14
Sodium: 4
Calcium: 1961
Magnesium: 34
Phosphorus: 1171
Zinc: 1451
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F: 76.2 (should be 78-95)
Flashpoint: 385 (should be > 380)
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0
Water: 0
Insoluables: 0.2

BACKGROUND (from the owner): 2002 KLR650 bought used 09/05, ridden home from Green Bay to Fort Worth with whatever the po had in it (but topped up with Castrol 20-50 a dealer had on hand). New oil, Kawi filter, (and doohickey) put in at 13000 mi. (Mobil 1 Racing 4T full synthetic). Oil changed (and this sample taken) at 16000 mixed 30 to 70mi trips, (30%) and longer 200 to 350mi trips (60%) with (disgraceful) 2 to 3 mi beer runs (10%). I may have taken the sample a little early, about the 1/3 way oil drain, as I still wasn't used to the bike's capacity. I added about 0.5 l. of Mobil 1 at 15000.

Did the folks at Blackstone say anything about the Aluminum, Copper and Iron levels? It looks like they made bold the numbers for Aluminum and Copper ... it's like they were flagging it or something. All of those metals seem a little high for a bike with 16K miles.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, Blackstone talked about the elevated levels in their comments. As this was a new-to-this-owner bike, I'm guessing that the previous owner didn't do too good of a job maintaining the engine. It's easy to do with a KLR, though, as the owner's manual erroneously says to change the oil every 6,000 miles; call Kawasaki and they'll tell you that it should be every 3,000 miles. The bike's very hard on oil viscosity--even Red Line can't keep its viscosity over 2,500 miles in my KLR.

I don't know but I think I'd try a different oil. I'm just curious how the new Rotella-T would do, as it is supposed to be very hard to shear. There was a Harley UOA with Rotella-T that was breaking in and had pretty bad fuel dilution and was still a strong 40 weight.

Quote:

I don't know but I think I'd try a different oil. I'm just curious how the new Rotella-T would do, as it is supposed to be very hard to shear. There was a Harley UOA with Rotella-T that was breaking in and had pretty bad fuel dilution and was still a strong 40 weight.

I have used Rotella T Syn in my KLR and it works good. But you will have more oil consumption if you do a lot of engine braking. Thats if you close the throttle and use the engine to slow the bike down.

I would like to know where the copper is coming from.

There is no copper in the KLR650 motor. It uses needle bearings for the crank, not flat metal bearings. The cam bearings are the aluminum heads. The only thing I can think of is the clutch plates have copper fibers in them.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back