(TDI 505.01 oil) Pentosin 'Teilsynthetisch"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pentosin's Pentosynth TS 5W-40 bottle says in German on the label "Teilsynthetisch." I don't speak German. Babelfish translates it roughly to "part-synthetically".

Would this be a clue that it is a synthetic blend as opposed to a full synthetic?

I'm seriously considering running this in the wife's 2005 VW Beetle TDI instead of the recently released Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30. The Pentosin is only 54 cents per liter more in cost than what I can get the castrol SLX for.

Both, "TS" and "HC" denote hydro-cracked mineral oil (Group III). "TS" and "HC" are commonly used synonymously in labeling. However, the fact that Pentosin has separate HC and TS categories, makes me think that HC oil may be superior to TS oils, at least based on the description, and (maybe) only in the case of Pentosin:

According to the Pentosin site, TS oils, "through the use of a combination of the latest additives and of specifically chosen synthetic oils guarantee outstanding engine performance."* This wording does not leave the option of TS oils containing any mineral oil (unless hydro-cracked) -- or they are not being honest.

HC oils, "through the use of an additive combination with the latest technology, combined with a very shear-stable VI improver, guarantees outstanding engine performance even under the most extreme driving conditions."** Before they say that they mention that the used HC oils are top class ("Spitzenklasse").

Quote:

*(Der Einsatz neuester Additive in Kombination mit gezielt ausgewählten Syntheseölen garantiert eine hervorragende motorische Performance.)

**(Der Einsatz einer Additivkombination neuester Technologie in Kombination mit einem sehr scherstabilen VI-Verbesserer garantiert eine hervorragende motorische Performance, auch unter extremsten Fahrbedingungen.)

Quote:

Babelfish translates it roughly to "part-synthetically".

Babblefish should have said "partially synthetic."
wink.gif

I dunno, shipping cost across the Atlantic for a buck a bottle seems inexpensive.

Full synthetic Pentosin oils are:

Pentospeed 0W-30 VS
Pento Super Performance II 0W-30
Pentosynth 5W-30
Pento Super Performance III 5W-30
Pentosynth 5W-40 VS
Pentosynth SAE 5W-50

Check pentosin.de

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back