Aircraft oils on cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I need help with something. I have with me Mobil Jet Oil 254, Bp Turbo Oil 2380 and Shell AeroShell Turbine Oil 500, and all of these are aircraft oils, so what i want to know is, if any of these oils can be used in any kind of cars?? and if not, is there any aircraft oil that can be used??

Thankx

Not only are those aircraft oils, they are oils for gas turbine engines. That stuff is for jets.

If you want to use aviation oils in your car look for oils that are used in reciprocating engines. Normally these are fairly thick mono-grade oils with very little additive in them. There really isn't any reason to select such a product for your car.

Being the idiot that I am,, I have use the BP 2380 oil in a air cooled lawn mower once and I used some Aeroshell 100 in a rototiller. Neither engine died but the lawn mower with the turbine engine oil smelled funny and began weeping oil around the case half gasket.

So there is none of these oil that could be used in cars is that right?? the engine "blows up" is that right?

Quote:

Being the idiot that I am,, I have use the BP 2380 oil in a air cooled lawn mower once and I used some Aeroshell 100 in a rototiller. Neither engine died but the lawn mower with the turbine engine oil smelled funny and began weeping oil around the case half gasket.

crackmeup.gif

Quote:

Quote:

crackmeup.gif

I used the Jet Oil 254 as a diesel mix for my 02 Ford 7.3 PSD and 03 VW TDI and it seems to increase my overall fuel mileage about 4%. I also use it to mix with dino oil for a synthetic blend in my 91 K1500 pickup with no problem for the last 80K miles. 4 quarts of 20w50 or 15w40 oil with one quart of Mobil 254 seems to do fine in my pickup truck. My pickup is at 255K miles with no leak or oil consumption with the above brew.

Turbine oil seems to be really thin, much thinner then automotive engine oils. They are also not designed for any of the conditions in an automotive engine. there are not alot of roller and ball bearings in a car engine and there are not too many pistons, rings, combustion gas leaks, or plain bearings in a jet engine.

Quote:

Turbine oil seems to be really thin, much thinner then automotive engine oils. They are also not designed for any of the conditions in an automotive engine.

According to Mobil, their jet oil 254 has the following "Advantages and Potential Benefits":

1. Reduces the formation of carbon and sludge deposits. Maintains engine efficiency and extends engine life. Excellent thermal and oxidation stability. Reduces bulk oil oxidation by 50% and increases deposit control by 50 ºF

2. Extends seal, gear and bearing life

3. Provides effective lubrication at high operating temperatures

4. Reduces evaporation losses and lowers oil consumption

5. Maintains film strength under rigorous operating conditions

6. Permits start-up and ensures effective lubrication of critical components at temperatures as low as -40 ºF

What make you think that jet oil will not benefit an automobile engine? Redline makes 0,2,and 5WT racing oil that is thinner than the jet oil. Mobil jet oil is also recommended for turboshaft transmission.

Isn't jet oil designed for easier burn-off? Also, I wouldn't imagine there'd be too much call for high detergency in jet engine oil, as it's not utilized as much to clean combustion surfaces such as cylinder walls. I'd vote a strong NO for this.

Jet oil is mostly Ester based stuff so no it does not burn off. In fact it HIGHLY resists COKING in the bearing after shut down. Major problem in the past early on with jets.

Jet oil is awesome stuff just not automotive seal friendly. Guys have tried in the navy taking stuff and just ended up with ALL their seals leaking.

Quote:

Quote:

Turbine oil seems to be really thin, much thinner then automotive engine oils. They are also not designed for any of the conditions in an automotive engine.

According to Mobil, their jet oil 254 has the following "Advantages and Potential Benefits":

1. Reduces the formation of carbon and sludge deposits. Maintains engine efficiency and extends engine life. Excellent thermal and oxidation stability. Reduces bulk oil oxidation by 50% and increases deposit control by 50 ºF

2. Extends seal, gear and bearing life

3. Provides effective lubrication at high operating temperatures

4. Reduces evaporation losses and lowers oil consumption

5. Maintains film strength under rigorous operating conditions

6. Permits start-up and ensures effective lubrication of critical components at temperatures as low as -40 ºF

What make you think that jet oil will not benefit an automobile engine? Redline makes 0,2,and 5WT racing oil that is thinner than the jet oil. Mobil jet oil is also recommended for turboshaft transmission.

These thin Red Line oils are used mainly in drag racing engines that are rebuilt after each 5 second run. They are mainly to get the engine to live for a couple of minutes while they do a burnout and stage. I can't imagine they would be recommended for a regular passenger car or truck.

Quote:

These thin Red Line oils are used mainly in drag racing engines that are rebuilt after each 5 second run. They are mainly to get the engine to live for a couple of minutes while they do a burnout and stage. I can't imagine they would be recommended for a regular passenger car or truck.

These thin Red Line oils are also used to qualify for NASCAR races which are a lot longer than a couple of minutes with no damage to the high output race engines. If the jet oil is thick enough to lubricate a turbine fan turning at 60K rpm while putting out over 100,000lb of thrust in extreme temperature then it is thick enough for a regular passenger car or truck. Think film strength and not film thickness.

The auto industry is moving to a thinner oil 0w20 now and may be even thinner in the future. The lack of detergence is the only down point but can be easily remedy by mixing with cheap dino oil.

Thickness needs to exceed the height of the asperities of the running surfaces, and any contamination that could be circulating in the oil. Exceed by as much as 3 times the thickness. A jet turbines bearings have very fine machine surfaces and all the load is rotational (as opposed to a engine that strokes up and down).

Quote:

Quote:

These thin Red Line oils are also used to qualify for NASCAR races which are a lot longer than a couple of minutes with no damage to the high output race engines. If the jet oil is thick enough to lubricate a turbine fan turning at 60K rpm while putting out over 100,000lb of thrust in extreme temperature then it is thick enough for a regular passenger car or truck. Think film strength and not film thickness.

The auto industry is moving to a thinner oil 0w20 now and may be even thinner in the future. The lack of detergence is the only down point but can be easily remedy by mixing with cheap dino oil.

Having watched NASCAR qualification runs for many years, I have never seen one that requires the engine to run over 4 or 5 minutes, counting the cool down lap . On most tracks, a lap is run in 15 to 30 seconds. This would be only a little over 3 minutes at the longest, counting the speed-up and slow down laps.

Do these jet engine oils have the Extreme Pressure additives to cope with the pressures of the camshaft and other components of the valve gear?

Quote:

Having watched NASCAR qualification runs for many years, I have never seen one that requires the engine to run over 4 or 5 minutes, counting the cool down lap . On most tracks, a lap is run in 15 to 30 seconds. This would be only a little over 3 minutes at the longest, counting the speed-up and slow down laps.

Do these jet engine oils have the Extreme Pressure additives to cope with the pressures of the camshaft and other components of the valve gear?

A lubricating oil composition for jet engines consisting essentially of a major portion of a synthetic base oil consisting of mono- and di-pentaerythritol esters of C.sub.5 to C.sub.10 straight and branched chain hydrocarbon monocarboxylic acid or mixtures thereof, from 4 to 8 weight percent of methyl phenyl silicone having a kinematic viscosity of 75 to 500 centistokes at 25.degree. C., from 0.5 to 5 weight percent of a phosphate antiwear agent, from 0.5 to 5 weight percent of a secondary aryl amine antioxidant and from 0.01 to 0.5 weight percent of 1,4-dihydroxy anthraquinone a metal deactivator.

NASCAR teams use 2 or 5WT oil to qualify and 10WT for the actual races. If the point standing is tight many teams will do what it takes to win and sometimes will run 10WT oil.

Quote:

Thickness needs to exceed the height of the asperities of the running surfaces, and any contamination that could be circulating in the oil. Exceed by as much as 3 times the thickness. A jet turbines bearings have very fine machine surfaces and all the load is rotational (as opposed to a engine that strokes up and down).

The oil film thickness values calculated at the usual operating stresses and speeds, are of the order of 0.08 to 0.10 micron (3 to 4 micro in). The normal asperities in a typical ground and honed surface is about 0.13 micron
(5 micro in), and the specific film thickness is thus of the order of unity. Even under the best operating conditions, most aircraft gas turbine bearings operate under partial lubrication conditions, and the load is divided about equally between the asperities and the oil film. There are asynchronous reciprocating stresses on the bearings due to wing vibration and turbulences.

There is more to consider than oil film thickness; additive packages differ between jet turbine oils (JTO) and automotive oils.

JTO's are mostly POE bases and may have kinematic viscosities ranging from 3 cSt all the way up to 20 cSt or higher.

Jet engine oils do not see hot combustion gasses as do recips and therefore do not have the proper set of additives for use in recips.

JTO's do have special anti-oxidants to keep them from oxidizing at hot soaking temps, with some anti-corrosive and anti-rust adds as well, and may not be compatible with automotive seals.

I would not JTO's oils in any recips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back