2001 Subaru Outback H6...which oil/weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

OK..I've done a search on 'outback' and got back 500 hits. Most of the ones I looked at were for the 4 cylinder.

I just picked up a 2001 Outback H6 Limited. This has the 6 cylinder boxer engine. The car has 99000 KILOMETRES on it. I had the dealer do an oil/filter (for free yay!) and first thing I did when I got home was dump a bottle of Auto-RX in.

The previous owner had the vehicle serviced at the dealership, and I have the maintainence records. Looks like oil changes (dino I assume) ranging from 5000km to a high of 9000km.

Anyway, once the Auto-rx is done, what oil do you think I should use in this thing. 5w30 is recommended, but I do have a bunch of 5w20 left over from my previous Honda Odyssey. I was thinking 5w30 in the summer and the 5w20 in the winter. I'll be running syntetic btw (after the auto-rx).

I also have some Esso xd-3 in 0w30 and 0w40 (I used to have a VW) in my garage. Do you think this oil is too heavy or too... ummm "dieseley" for this vehicle?

Thanks.

I ran Delvac 1 5W40 in my 2.5 way back. For Canada you'd want 0WXX. Plenty to choose from. I'm doing my 2nd RX clean on 1,000kms in. 50,000k since last clean and I did use maint dose. Engine is better already. Cheers..s

I've heard the Esso XD-3 is a good oil and a very good value oil.

I have 3 Outbacks with the 2.5i 4 cylinder and think that a 0W-30 or 0W-40 full synthetic oil is a good year round fill and will cover all temperature extremes.

I hope that you can find expert advice, but if the factory manual calls for 5W-30 oil...then 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40 full synthetic oil should be a great choice.

5W-20 might be a little too thin. Maybe safer to use in a car designed for 5W-20?

====================

In Germany Castrol suggests:

for a 2004 3.0L Outback

Motor EZ 30
Empfehlung 1
EDGE Formula RS 0W-40 5,5 Wechseln 15000 km / 12 Monate
Empfehlung 2
Castrol GTX9 Magnatec 5W-30 5,5 Wechseln 15000 km / 12 Monate
Empfehlung 3
Castrol GTX5 Magnatec 10W-40 5,5 Wechseln 15000 km / 12 Monate
=======================

In the US Castrol suggests:

For -4 F and above =

Castrol GTX
API*,SM 10W-30 - Maximum Protection Against Viscosity and Thermal Breakdown
Product Data SheetCastrol GTX High Mileage
API*,SM 10W-30 - For Engines with Over 75,000 Miles
Product Data SheetCastrol SYNTEC
API*,SM 10W-30 - Outperforms ALL Leading Motor Oils
Product Data SheetCastrol SYNTEC BLEND
API*,SM 10W-30 - Added Protection for Frequent Short TripsCastrol GTX
API*,SM 10W-40 - Maximum Protection Against Viscosity and Thermal Breakdown
Product Data SheetCastrol GTX High Mileage
API*,SM 10W-40 - For Engines with Over 75,000 Miles
Product Data SheetCastrol SYNTEC
API*,SM 10W-40 - Outperforms ALL Leading Motor Oils
Product Data SheetCastrol SYNTEC BLEND
API*,SM 10W-40 - Added Protection for Frequent Short Trips

----------

Any good 5W-30/0W-30 as said above. My personal pick is stated in my signature - Valvoline Synpower 5W30. However, any good conventional will work well, and maybe a nice synthetic in the winter since it gets nippy up there
smile.gif
These engines are not hard on oil thankfully and have high oil pressure.

Mobil's recommendation (downunder) are
MOBIL 1 10W-30 or MOBIL SUPER HP 10W-30 or MOBIL SUPER S SL 10W-30 or MOBIL 1 0W-40 or MOBIL SYNTH S 10W-40 or MOBIL SUPER S PLUS 10W-40.

Mate uses M1 0W-40 in his...his wife is in second gear before she releases the key in the mornings,

I believe the 2001 Outback has the 3.0 H6 has the EZ30 engine. Unlike all the 4 cylinder Subaru engines, it has a timing chain and is also little more stressful on the oil. It has 4 camshafts which is DOHC for anyone not in the know.

Thankfully it holds somewhere between 6 and 7 quarts of oil. I personally would go with a nice 5w30 synthetic of your choice. It will do great in those Canadian winters and hold up well against the higher amount of stress that the engine design entails.

It's a good SOLID motor. I've seen them get close to 400,000 miles and some have achieved 600 horses on stock internals in combination with forced induction.

I almost bought one new, but I drive too much to warrant purchasing a new car.

Yes, you're right - the ez30d engine, DOHC and a timing chain (thankfully, no more $600 timing belt changes). According to the manual, it holds either 5.6 or 5.8 litres (it lists both quantities in different sections of the manual - lost in translation?)

I didn't realize a chain is harder on oil - knowing this now, I think the XD-3 0w30 would be a good choice.

Just as an aside, I moved to this car from a 2006 Odyssey - the v6 in the Ody is smooth, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the boxer 6 in the Outback. It's smooth as well, but has a nice sort of turbine (for lack of a better word) feel to it.

I've used 10W-30 in the H6 of the SVX since new:15 years, 145K miles, got 28.5 mpg on the last trip of over 500 miles.

Have PP in there, now that I've replaced the valve cover gaskets. Chevron Supreme for a decade or so...

Subaru builds great engines!

Cheers!

I have a 2006 H6 Outback and I've been using Castrol 0w30 (GC) year round. I'd personally avoid using a 5w20.
I'm not sure why the H6 would be any harder on oil than the 4 cylinder boxers. The timing chain is lubricated with engine oil but I don't see how that would stress the oil and the additional quart of sump capacity is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back