Krytox grease ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with using Dupont's Krytox high-temp grease ?

Dupont even has an application for wheel-bearing grease.

Check it out here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krytox
http://www.vacuumoil.com/msdspdfs/pr.../krytoxpdf.pdf

This thread on how using Krytox grease in the wheel hubs has lengthend it's service life.

Looks like NASCAR also uses this grease as well as some racing bikes.

:) neil

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-368942.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Shaft.html

Excerpt:

An alternative to moly is the new poly-flourinated lubricants made by DuPont called Krytox Teflon Bearing Grease. These chemicals are simply magic. They have almost no known solvents, are chemically inert, and don't burn at any temperature, even in a pure oxygen atmosphere. This is pretty clearly the only grease to use. See this article:
http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm

NASCAR mechanics have found that Krytox grease can reduce the temperature of spline joints on drive shafts by 150°. Also, this stuff lasts forever. It is, unfortunately, quite expensive.

Krytox is compatible with moly - in fact DuPont sells a high pressure Krytox which mixes the two. You may hear some horror story from some mechanic about mixing greases and the result turning radioactive or some such. Don't worry, it won't happen with moly or Krytox.

Krytox greases:

* DuPont XHT-AC extra high temperature anti-corrosive Krytox. $30 for a 2oz tube, pn 10195K25; $113 for an 8oz tube, from McMaster Carr.

* DuPont XHT-BDX extra high temperature extra bonding Krytox. $63 for a 2oz tube pn 10195K22; $230 for an 8oz tube pn10195K24 from McMaster Carr.

* LocTite Krytox HyperLube, pn 29711. about $35 for two ounces.

Big bucks !!! Unfortunately in most cases Krytox costs more than the parts being lubed when used for general automotive purposes.

I have used lots of Krytox.
A 5gal pail can easily sell for >$7000

Used often in automotive mfg plants and paint shops that utilize large bearings, that are within ovens with temps nearing and over 400degF.

Krytox is simply an aluminum complex base with Teflon. Not much more. And it is obvious that DuPont is quite proud of the product.
DuPonts protective locks on it's products is what drives the products price, and not the performance value...albeit one of the best greases one can buy.

It is an amazing product that fits the bill for a few applications, but if there is an alternative product that can be used, it is almost always the wiser choice to go with the alternative.

With the intense heat in my twin-turbo rotary engine, I'm thinking this grease might be best . . .

:) neil

Quote:

Does anyone have any experience with using Dupont's Krytox high-temp grease?

Oh yes. When I was doing work for the space program, we used lots of Krytox 240AC grease in our ball bearings and just about anywhere else that needed lubricated.

But, here's the kicker! We didn't use this highly expensive stuff because it was a good lubricant, we used it because, like they said, it has very little solvent and won't off-gas, polluting the air in the space shuttle and space station!

We did do a lot of experiments with it, trying to get the power consumption down on a piece of of equipment we were working on. (When you get all your power from solar panels and batteries, power consumption is something you try to reduce!) 240AC seemed very thick and tacky, and seemed to cause a lot of drag in the bearings compared to normal dino greases. (For instance, Shell Alvainia and Mobil SHC has far less drag in a particular bearing than did 240AC.)

Somewhere, I've got several cans of a military specification equivalent - it's a PTFE grease with, IIRC, silicone in it perhaps? An interesting note on this particular stuff - the MIL-SPEC notes that PTFE greases are not proven in ball bearing applications, and that before specifying this grease for ball bearing use that testing would be required to prove that it would yield acceptable service. I'll have to find the can with the mil-spec number and NATO code.

Back to Krytox - As a previous poster said, it's fine business for very high temp applications where nothing else would survive, but from my experience, I'd rather use something else...

thanks,
ben
patriot.gif

Rotax uses Kluber Isoflex grease for sealed crankshaft bearings on some their engines. It's kind of pricey, and I had my doubts about sealed bearing on cranks, but it's worked very well. Considering the bearings are nothing special, and are used on the PTO end of the cranks, on engines that live at 8000+rpm and make 150hp from 800cc. I'd guess it pretty good stuff. It's the TOPAS NB52 product if anyone is interested. Small 50g tubes run $14-35 depending on where you get it.

Back in the day before I retired from Dupont.I worked with Teflon,and spent a couple years working with Nascar teams.They looked forword to me coming as I always brought them Krytox.They claimed once they went to Krytox all grease related failures where gone.It was a fun few years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back