Fuel system cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at gasoline engine fuel system cleaners.
Chevrons techron seems to be big on this site.
Being in Canada I dont have acess to it though. What are some good alternatives that might be available to me? In the past I have used STP in the black bottle. Would Petro-Canada's Tactrol addidive be similar to the Chevron as both are top tier gasolines and tactrol is what petro-can uses in thier gas for cleaning?
canada.gif

Use the Tactrol if available.

Gumout Regane is another option.

So, what brands are sold at the autoparts and department stores?

I've had good look with synpower. I'm now using renewable lubes which has made a noticeable difference in my turbo response, although my mileage doesn't seem affected. The renewable lubes stuff is also much more cost effective - 2 ozs per tank for clean-up and one ounce for maintenance. A 12oz bottle cost me about $13.50 with shipping.

I have been using Redline's SI-1 Fuel System cleaner and have been really impressed by it. Is is also considered as one of the better ones on this site.

The best part is that SI-1 is easily available at most Canadian-Tire stores for under $10.00. At least it is available here in Ontario so it should also be available in Alberta CT stores as well.
canada.gif

Last edited:
There are no shortage of brands at canadian tire:
3-4 Canadian Tire house brands
Multiple STP
Pennzoil
Wynns
Slick 50
Lucas
Prestone
More I cant remember.

It just seems that the chevron techron seems to be the favorite on this board and I cant get it. I was wondering if somebody knew if the Petro-can and chevron stuff was the same.

r961161 I will keep Redline in mind as yes I saw it there today too and Veedubb so was the Valvoline.

Vilan, I havnt seen anything around Edmonton.

All thanks for your input.

TEchron is the best.

When I did my thesis, the test rig was clogged with white residue from the guy the year before me who tested methanol through the aluminium fuel system.

CRC System 1 cleared the deposits extremely well.

over the counter I like Redline SI-1 the best. I have seen it work magic and had other I have given it to immediately go out and buy more and replace my bottle even though I said they could have it. Made many fans of that stuff and it sells itself.

The only real product I see at retail in Toronto is Redline SI. Canadian Tire carries it, but it is sometimes in a different section than the other additives.

I thought you could get Techron in BC and Alberta. Here in the East we don't see it.

What is really weird is that every store has the low end of the Pennzoil fuel system cleaners but no one carries the Gumout Regane. I buy both at Walmart when I am in the US, and run a tank when pulling my cars from storage. But really just for the heck of it. I run FP60 or FP3000 in every tank.

Ive been using FP60 for the last two years now in my Tacoma. It hasnt done much but i continue to use it. The other day i decided to try Lucas UCL to see if there is a difference. Im doing two treatments so well see.

I prefer a steady does of LUCL with each tank. If I were in the market for a periodic single tank treatment, I would lean towards either the Techron or perhaps Schaeffers Soy Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back