80K miles on Motorcraft 5w20 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

UOA's do not speak for themselves. I don't see where the Motorcraft UOA's are any better than the others. They require interpretation by experts. They are only a $20 analysis. I suppose if this particular UOA came back fine, then you would say this engine is in fine shape?

I may think Amsoil is pretty good oil. The best I've found. I am also a retired Shell scientist with 28 years oil and chemical experience. And you are a ........"let's face it".....lawyer?
pat2.gif

Thats a low blow.
nono.gif

(*IF* I was a admin, you'd would have been read only a LONG time ago.)

Don't be surprised if you are now...

(You forgot to also STATE that your a retired Shell scientist with 28 years oil and chemical experience SELLING Amsoil and 98% of your posts are AMSOIL related)

Its amazing if the UOA is steller with your brand, then UOAs are the cats meow.

If its not good, then you can't trust a low cost UOA.
pat2.gif

But Amsoil pushes UOAs to test how well their oils are performing for extended UOAs and to see when to change oil.

Amazing...
smirk.gif

You should take lessons from Pablo and Gary on how to post here. They would be the first to tell others that there are other brands of WELL PERFORMING oils and AMSOIL is not the ONLY choice.

I buy and use Amsoil. But, its not the only oil I use and I've taken many an engine/transmission and running gear over hundreds of thousands of miles before even hearing of Amsoil.

Back to the 80k mile engine here. There is something wrong with it. Amsoil STATES that their warrenty is only valid in engines WITHOUT problems. So much with the warrenty.

Until we find out WHAT is wrong with it, OIL choice is the last thing to be talking about IMO.
bop.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

I'm suspicious. Zacharyx, are you saving these are AFTER heads were swapped ????

I don't believe a 3K OCI of any proper oil would have this effect unless the engine had a known problem or a specifc problem.

One unproven post and people trash an oil ? Unscientific.

Zacharyx, lets see some oil change records if these are the heads used during the last 50K miles on MC 5W20.

Looks like a picture from junk yard. See corrosion. Can anyone verify this is a '97 Mustang engine ?

Mustang's are not known for being easy driven cars - in general. Who knows what the P.O. ran and for how long.

Given 3k OCI's on any oil - I'd bet that engine looked as bad or worse when it was purchased. I doubt MC was to blame.

I'd love a better picture of the heads though.

if you are going to run a motor like that its best to have a syn in it so it doesnt burn up and varnish like that motor did.. kind of not the oils fault to an extent. still, i wouldnt buy it haha

Quote:

if you are going to run a motor like that its best to have a syn in it so it doesnt burn up and varnish like that motor did.. kind of not the oils fault to an extent. still, i wouldnt buy it haha

Go to the Mobil 1 web site and check out the video on the Las Vegas test.

Then watch the teardown on the Mobil 1 engine. You'll see plenty of varnish.

Just because you run Syn does NOT mean that you'll never see varnish.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

PS: I hate the test and the Marketing. But it does prove that varnish happens with ANY oil.
dunno.gif

Now for the important question of all.....How is the engine running? If it's running good, then what's the problem?

Quote:

Quote:

I may think Amsoil is pretty good oil. The best I've found. I am also a retired Shell scientist with 28 years oil and chemical experience. And you are a ........"let's face it".....lawyer?
pat2.gif

And you are now officially..."Read Only."
nono.gif

G-Man I'd like to buy you a beer, or your beverage of choice.

i have known people who buy mustangs romp the ____ out of them and then trade them in for another one just before warranty expires. ever see a mustang do 80 mph in second gear? i have.

Quote:

i have known people who buy mustangs romp the ____ out of them and then trade them in for another one just before warranty expires. ever see a mustang do 80 mph in second gear? i have.

The one thing that is missing is the owner's info as to the car's history before he had it. That's a pretty important chunk of info we don't have.
I have however seen MC's results in an F-150 since the day it was purchased new and they are very similar to picture of the mustang engine as far as varnish deposits. That truck has not been run hard nor has it had PCV problems.
I have oils that I like but I am not reccommending any particular oil. I do believe even cheaper Havoline would yield better results. MC just isn't impressive and with manufacterers buying all of their fluids based on the lowest bidder, I would say it is easy to get a better oil for less money. Havoline,Amsoil,Schaeffer,PP,RP,Valvoline would all be ahead of MC and that's my OPINION based on the condition of one truck that was purchased new; run exclusively on MC until 100K with 3-5K intervals. Is that scientific? Not by a long shot but it is enough for me to not reccommend MC to that customer. If you like it by all means run it.

Quote:

Quote:

The one thing that is missing is the owner's info as to the car's history before he had it. That's a pretty important chunk of info we don't have.
I have however seen MC's results in an F-150 since the day it was purchased new and they are very similar to picture of the mustang engine as far as varnish deposits. That truck has not been run hard nor has it had PCV problems.
I have oils that I like but I am not reccommending any particular oil. I do believe even cheaper Havoline would yield better results. MC just isn't impressive and with manufacterers buying all of their fluids based on the lowest bidder, I would say it is easy to get a better oil for less money. Havoline,Amsoil,Schaeffer,PP,RP,Valvoline would all be ahead of MC and that's my OPINION based on the condition of one truck that was purchased new; run exclusively on MC until 100K with 3-5K intervals. Is that scientific? Not by a long shot but it is enough for me to not reccommend MC to that customer. If you like it by all means run it.

I agree with this post. This doesn't bode well at all for those of you, including me, who who thought MC was this great oil that is *beyond reproach*. I used it for one OCI tho and it performed well but it looks like that may have been a misnomer and there may be a hidden price for atleast the application above if not across the board. Now, am I going to regret using it for one OCI? no, not at all. It's when you use it over and over for 5-7.5k OCIs, and apparently 3k and 3-5k(
shocked.gif
) is when this will happen!

Guess what the unassuming Ford or other GM cars will do when they get one year or lifetime oil changes for free at the dealer? Guess what these dealers are going to and do put into these beasts?

Not all of you live down south here like myself where temps *in the morning* are already in the 80s as it was today. 80 degrees by 7 AM and noone is even factoring in the stick icky humidity that most here have already succumbed to. This is disconcerting for everyone, including those mid-westerners and even mild in the summer east coasters.

I say, use any qualified oil but use it with discretion and defer to BITOG and keep your eyes and ears peeled to BITOG for this real valuable asset called information.

Btw, after the MC I went with GRP III PP and now am using M1 (GRP III + IV?) and I am pleased as punch at the performance results even though I do not actually know if there is any GRP IV.

Final word: I know I like the HT/HS of M1 and 20 bucks for 5 qts is cheap insurance.

Last edited:
One thing you must remember, no matter what it's the oil's fault and the oil alone. What ever brand of oil you were using when a problem shows up, remember to never use it again because it caused it. Oil causes water pumps to go, starters to fail and fuel injectors to plug up. From just that one picture and the complete history we received we can tell, it's the oil, that's for sure. Check the tires, too. If the rears are burning off, dump the oil. And someone wrote that Mobil 1 is cheap insurance. Sure is. You should get the Mobil 1 EP because it has no deductible. That's important in case you get a crack in your windshield. Just remember, Motorcraft caused all that yuck and it's now proven that it damages engines. That's because if Ford engines last too long, union workers will get laid off. The only question to answer, which oil is next?

Quote:

I agree with this post. This doesn't bode well at all for those of you, including me, who who thought MC was this great oil that is *beyond reproach*. I used it for one OCI tho and it performed well but it looks like that may have been a misnomer and there may be a hidden price for atleast the application above if not across the board. Now, am I going to regret using it for one OCI? no, not at all. It's when you use it over and over for 5-7.5k OCIs, and apparently 3k and 3-5k(
shocked.gif

First off......oh brother. You're back. Yea.
smirk.gif

Did you NOT read the original thread????? We do NOT know the history of this engine for the first 32k miles! You CANNOT slam MC because of this unknown history! The F-150? A separate instance. You cannot make a broad statement that MC will do this in 3k miles!

Mods: Why would you let this B.S. return? It's starting all over again.

Quote:

Quote:

shocked.gif

smirk.gif

Did you NOT read the original thread????? We do NOT know the history of this engine for the first 32k miles! You CANNOT slam MC because of this unknown history! The F-150? A separate instance. You cannot make a broad statement that MC will do this in 3k miles!

Now, now...let's be nice. This post wasn't too bad.

He's on a short leash, so don't worry.

Quote:

I agree with this post. This doesn't bode well at all for those of you, including me, who who thought MC was this great oil that is *beyond reproach*. I used it for one OCI tho and it performed well but it looks like that may have been a misnomer and there may be a hidden price for atleast the application above if not across the board.

How is this a "misnomer"?

Quote:

Quote:

shocked.gif

smirk.gif

Now Now, I am not slamming MC and all I was saying is MC is no longer 'beyond reproach' for me and I speculate many others who thought the same or were on the fence. Look, pictures here showed 'stuff' and despite that, I am not trying to throw MC under the bus per se as I said I would not regret using it for one OCI just to add variation to the cleaning and whatever add-pack that your engine needs.

I, personally, feel that no oil is perfect..sometimes it's the base oil that is the problem, other times it's the add pack or the price. But that's why we all have choices and the 'average BITOGer' who read it found it relevant to making their next oil decision and did not find anything I said offensive. Let's just chill out and let people make their own personal conclusions without bringing in 'emotions' into it.

It is what it is!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back