80K miles on Motorcraft 5w20 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a pic of my 97 Mustang at around the 80K mark. I bought the car in 02 with 32k on the odometer. I do not know what the previous owner ran in the car but since the I have run the Motorcraft 5w20 blend, with Motorcraft filters and 3000mi OCI. Now that the heads and all are swapped I am wondering if I should continue to run the Motorcraft with how it looks under the valve covers. I am thinking of running AMSOIL or royal purple after I run Auto-RX and going to a 6-7.5K OCI do you guys think that would prevent it from looking as bad the next time I pull the covers or should I just go back to the motorcraft and 3K OCI

intake_removed_2.jpg

Man, that's alot of varnish. If the engine has no mechanical problems I would not use anymore MC oil. Perhaps the varnish was there when you got the car but with 3K intervals some oils would have cleaned up alot of that.
You cannot go wrong with Amsoil or RP. I have used both out to 10K intervals with ease. I now run Schaeffer oils exclusively becouse of the cost/value of their oils.
Neutra 131 added to the oil will(over time) remove the varnish deposits and it is very safe and cost effective. You can also use it on the fuel side at the same time to help the buildup that must be around the ring pack.
Based on your pictures you could do better with almost any oil. This isn't a condemnation of MC oil but I had a customer that had run MC 5W20 since new in his F-150 with a 4.6L. It had a lifter tick in it that the owner said had been in it since about 30K miles. Naturally, the Ford dealer told him it was just the roller lifters making their usual noise. I switched him to Schaeffer oil using the same oil filters he had used and the tick was completely gone in less than 50 miles. His engine had a dark brown varnish in it as well. I wonder if MC oils are made by the lowest bidder. I don't know but I think there are alot better oils to be had for the same money or less.

Was the PVC valve ever changed on this engine? I guess we'll never know what the underside of the valve covers looked like at 32K but with the care you've given it since then something doesn't add up.

This seems like a PCV /breather issue.
Does that engine have inherent problems? Check into specific forums for your car.
Maybe it was bad before you got it, though.
MC is not known for producing crud in engines - people love it around here.

or maybe someone ran the ____ out of this motor. maybe heat and high reving also to burn the oil.. i would look into the pcv valve thing and perhaps a synthetic oil.

Quote:

You mean a manufacturers and API certified oil possibly failed to do it's job? Blasphemy!

Motorcraft synthetic blend tested last in High Temperature/High Shear ASTM testing in this report http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx, and didn't do that great in the other tests either. I'd consider upgrading to a better oil.

i wonder if the 5w30 weight would have about the same #'s at those 10w30's in that amsoil test.. to me it looks like these are top notch

amsoil
M1 EP syn
GTX- Dino

Penzoil Platinum didnt look all that great..

I think most oil manufacturers use similar base stocks and additives through out their similar product lines, so would expect similar results in their different viscosity grades.

I'm sure glad the Motorcraft oil users have their Motorcraft oil warranty to fall back on .... oops, they don't seem to have one...

I've never been very impressed with OEM brand motor oils. Maybe because they use the lowest bidders to meet minimal specs? Maybe they just want them to last long enough to survive the warranty period, but don't want their vehicles to last forever?

Tim, I think you're stretching it a bit. MC is an excellent oil and Ford put those oils thru rigorous testing. There is an article about it somewhere on here. How do you know it was the oils fault? The previous owner, if he leased it, could have neglected this car. Most do that lease. PCV valve could have bee effed up also. I don't see how anyone can blame the oil from looking at one example.

Buster, I'd like to see the article if you could find it. The current owner has had the car for 5 years, 80,000 miles, using only Motorcraft oil every 3,000 miles, so hard to blame the previous owner. Hopefully, someone who has taken the engine apart to this point would have thought to check the PCV valve. He should have the oil analyzed to help with the trouble shooting, and the results would be interesting. As poorly as the Motorcraft oil tested in the Amsoil report and the mess the engine is in, and likely no oil warranty, I don't think I'd put more Motorcraft back in, would you?

Quote:

Tim, I think you're stretching it a bit. MC is an excellent oil and Ford put those oils thru rigorous testing. There is an article about it somewhere on here. How do you know it was the oils fault? The previous owner, if he leased it, could have neglected this car. Most do that lease. PCV valve could have bee effed up also. I don't see how anyone can blame the oil from looking at one example.

Exactly. That engine had 32k of "who knows what?" happen to it.

Quote:

Buster, I'd like to see the article if you could find it. The current owner has had the car for 5 years, 80,000 miles, using only Motorcraft oil every 3,000 miles, so hard to blame the previous owner.

Baloney. He's owned the car for 5 years and it had 32k on it when he got it. That means it's had Motorcraft oil for the last 48K miles. If the previous owner neglected the engine it could very well have looked WORSE than that and routine 3000 mile oil changes have cleaned things up somewhat. And given Motorcraft's stellar history, I'd say that's exactly what happened.

Quote:

You mean a manufacturers and API certified oil possibly failed to do it's job? Blasphemy!

Motorcraft synthetic blend tested last in High Temperature/High Shear ASTM testing in this report...

A high to low scale difference in all oils tested of .18? Now if that scale is as potent as the Richter scale - a force factor of 10x from one point to another - then it would certainly be significant.

Not defending Motorcraft per se, but not being familiar with the rating systems of the various tests its hard for a rookie like myself to be impressed when they seemingly are all very close.

Noticed the PP with its adaptive molecules didn't adapt any better than the Motorcraft in the HTHS test....

dunno.gif

G-Man - His post title reads "80K miles on Motorcraft 5W20 Blend". What "stellar history" does Motorcraft have? The same as Ford? And what do you base that Motorcraft has "cleaned things up somewhat". Sounds like you are serving up enough "baloney" to keep us all well fed for a while.

well if i took my motor apart and it looked like that i would ditch the oil and go with something we all know is better.. i still think its part breathing, oil and hot rodding lol.. that oil looks burnt to me.

Quote:

G-Man - His post title reads "80K miles on Motorcraft 5W20 Blend". What "stellar history" does Motorcraft have? The same as Ford? And what do you base that Motorcraft has "cleaned things up somewhat". Sounds like you are serving up enough "baloney" to keep us all well fed for a while.

Did you read his post? He said he doesn't know what the previous owner used for the first 32K miles. As for Motorcraft, the UOAs speak for themselves.

Let's face it Tim, you're an Amsoil koolaid drinker.
smirk.gif

ok ladies ease up.. haha... from what i have seen in the pic i wouldnt run motorcraft. simple as that. that motor looks like ____

UOA's do not speak for themselves. I don't see where the Motorcraft UOA's are any better than the others. They require interpretation by experts. They are only a $20 analysis. I suppose if this particular UOA came back fine, then you would say this engine is in fine shape?

I may think Amsoil is pretty good oil. The best I've found. I am also a retired Shell scientist with 28 years oil and chemical experience. And you are a ........"let's face it".....lawyer?
pat2.gif

Quote:

I may think Amsoil is pretty good oil. The best I've found. I am also a retired Shell scientist with 28 years oil and chemical experience. And you are a ........"let's face it".....lawyer?
pat2.gif

And you are now officially..."Read Only."
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back