How about discussing the classic lubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never hear very much said about some of the classic old lubes, like Hoppe's and Kleen-Bore. There are certain advantages to these old timers.

You can find Hoppe's just about anywhere. I still like Hoppe's No. 9 for cleaning bores and the Hoppe's old gun oil will get the job done. The Hoppe's No. 9 is a lot cheaper than the Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner (probably the same as MPro7 gun cleaner). I do like the Hoppe's Elite gun oil if you can find it. It seems to make a slide work really well. But is there really that much difference between the old Hoppe's gun oil and Hoppe's Elite?

I have a couple of tubes of Blue Wonder that I use once a year to make sure that copper is removed from the gun barrel. I am trying to make those 2 tubes last as long as possible.

I remember we used to use Kleen-Bore for cleaning, protecting, and lubing guns. Then an old Marine range instructor told me that in his opinion you cannot have a lube and a cleaner and a protector all in the same product. Bur old Kleen-Bore used to get the job done reasonably well.

What do people think about these old products? How many people still use Hoppe's No. 9 and Hoppe's gun oil and Kleen-Bore?

A couple of more things about this. The Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner is expensive and does not last too long so I use it only on the gun barrel and I use Hoppe's No. 9 or Kleen-Bore to clean the rest of the gun. The Hoppe's Elite is supposed to be able to remove all carbon, oil and grease (but maybe not copper) so I kind of don't like the idea of using it on the rest of the gun anyway.

Blue Wonder is a pretty good product that will last longer than the Hoppe's Elite cleaner and is supposed to be able to remove copper. I am trying to save my 2 tubes of Blue Wonder as long as I can.

It seems to me that Hoppe's Elite gun oil makes a slide more slippery than Hoppe's old gun oil. That is how it feels to me.

The problem with the old oil is that, well, it's just oil. I doubt that they have any of the newer ester/AW/EP tech that the newer oils do, so there is not much to talk about. There's no way I would use it when there are much better products out there.

Hoppe's elite is good stuff, but it is water based. I agree not to use it on assembled sub parts. I've heard more than one story of rust on/under firing pins, extractors, etc. I do use it on detail striped guns and barrels with good effect. You must re oil quickly or you will have rust on your parts.
frown.gif
This is one reason I like CLP type products. Put one product on, and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back