Ethanol Free Premium Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was wondering what the pro/cons would be to use Ethanol Free Premium Unleaded gas in my 2007 Suburban. Was wondering if I would see a rise of MPG to cover the cost of the fuel?

Thanks!

Depends on the cost.

Down here, the reduction in mileage is running a little more than the reduction in costs, so ethanols free is better.

You would almost certainly see an increase in mpg. Does it have something else in the gasoline then like MTBE? Can you get regular (rather than premium) ethanol free? (if your vehicle doesn't require premium). Is your vehicle flex fuel?

If you do try it, it might take a few tankfuls to see the difference until you get all the old ethanol containing fuel out of there.

Your talking about E10 (10% Ethanol) vs 100% Gasoline?

Or are you talking about E85, 85% ethanol.

E10 vs 100% Gas - you'll be hard pressed to find any difference in mileage. When it came out in our area, everyone was complaining, but no one could prove MPG's went down.

All my cars remain the same (at least not measurable) on E10 vs 100% gas.

Power and mileage are down with 10% ethanol, vs. straight gas.
Ethanol has about 1/2 the energy of gas, but regains a little because of the inherent oxygen.
There is a net loss - bottom line.

When it came out in the Dallas area, my mileage went down about 4 - 5 %. In Dallas, I thought all grades contain ethanol. Does the higher octane still contain ethanol?

I've read study after study since 1993 about E10 vs straight gas. Not one could document any measurable MPG difference.

4-5% is believeable, if a driver keeps all parameters equal. But consider 5% of 25mpg = 1.25 mpg.

Temp and wind alone could make your mileage vary 1-2 mpg. And thats the whole point each study pointed out, its near impossible to document this small difference with so many variables.

I find it weird here in MI, well at least southwest MI, that most if not all pumps are still 100% Gas. only a few pumps are e10 now, and barely stations have E85. I'll take my straight gas thanks
smile.gif

When 10% blend 1st came out it was the fuel industry itself that conceded to a 3% average reduction in mpg. That's about what my cars lost. One car pings on it, and I have to up a grade if I'm stuck using it. I'll take my corn on the cob thank-you, leave it out of the fuel.

Quote:

When 10% blend 1st came out it was the fuel industry itself that conceded to a 3% average reduction in mpg. That's about what my cars lost.

I've seen similar results on my highway mileage. 3-4% net loss whenever I'm using 10% ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back