Can someone recommend oil + filter for my 1.8t??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been browsing BITOG for a couple of months now ever since I bought my latest Audi. It is a 1999 A4 1.8t Q with 102k. From what I understand, these engines are very tough on oil.

My current fill is M1 0w-40 with M1-301 filter. Oil consumption is Zero. The engine does seem loud though at highway speeds, but maybe this is normal for this engine?

Is this really a restrictive filter? Would Super Tech be a better choice? I live in vermont so temps range widely. Thanks for all your help.

From the Amsoil site:

1999 AUDI A4 QUATTRO 1.8L 4-cyl Engine Code ATW, -G, AMU Turbo

FILTERS
Oil Filter........ EAO37 Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SEO[1]
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
All Temps......0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40
1. Add 2.0 L (2.1qt) if equipped W/ rear heating for all engine
502 00.

M1 0w-40 is fine. You need to run a bigger filter though. Either run the OEM Mann or the Purolator L40316 (Big Kahuna). This brings your sump capacity up from 3.7 qts to around 4.5 qts. What 1.8t do you have? (AEB, AUG, ATW, AWM)

Quote:

M1 0w-40 is fine. You need to run a bigger filter though. Either run the OEM Mann or the Purolator L40316 (Big Kahuna). This brings your sump capacity up from 3.7 qts to around 4.5 qts. What 1.8t do you have? (AEB, AUG, ATW, AWM)

+1 on OEM Mann. But I don't think it increases it to 4.5. I always get an overfill if I put 4.5 in. 4.2 is more like it - it puts the level right at the first bend on the dipstick. 4.0 quarts would put you at the top of the hash mark.

I thought that the M1 filter seemed pretty huge but i don't want to pay 10 bucks for it again, It was much bigger than the NAPA Gold that I had used right before it.

Can you get purolators at the chain auto stores? I was under the impression when I bought the car that the capacity was 3.7, but the manual says 4.2.

Wolfc70, I am not aware of the differences among these types of 1.8's, I'll have to find out.

If your manual says 4.2 qts, I'm guessing you have the 170hp version, correct? In that case, the capacities I gave you above are correct.

I believe it's the 150 hp AEB.

My old 5 cyl's required much less concern... but I love this car and it's much more reliable

yeah, the bigger filter is the reason. Before the big filter, I used to put 3.9 quarts in to get it to the first bend. Now I need 4.2.

was it all 1.8's that had sludge issues or just certain versions? Thankfully I seem to not have a sludge car.... but that didn't help me from having to do the TB immediately after buying it out of fear!

But anyway, I think I want to try one of these purolators and run either M1 0-40, Amsoil 5w-40 (which I'm dying to try for some reason), or the Castrol 5w-40.

A gas station near me sells Elf Excellium 5w-40 which tempts me every time I'm anywhere near it, but it's $9/qt and I won't pay that.

The M1-301 that you are using is the same size as the oversized OEM filter. I've used it in combination with M1 0w40 on my '00 GTI 1.8T, with excellent results.

If you are happy with this combo, there is no good reason to switch. Well, maybe one; the bypass valve PSID specs in the M1 filter are much less than the OEM filter, but I doubt it will eve make any difference in the real world.

I do like the M1 0w40 but opinions on this site had me wondering if it was the reason for the engine being a little loud on the highway. Not really loud, just something I notice because I own it.

Other big filters that are ust as good as "oem" are Puralator L30257, STP S3669 and BOSCH Premium #3500. As far as oil, new Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel should be equivalent to Delvac-1.

i almost bought that M1 turbo deisel, it's safe for a gas engine like mine? the whole "deisel" thing made me wary.

I think I am going to try the Amsoil, is it redially available at any stores or mail order thing?

If I owned a A4 I'd run Mahle filters exclusively. I'd use the OC264 and if possible I'd squeeze the OC470 on there if it would fit.

I'd run Mobil-1 0W-40 year around.

Quote:

i almost bought that M1 turbo deisel, it's safe for a gas engine like mine? the whole "deisel" thing made me wary.

I think I am going to try the Amsoil, is it redially available at any stores or mail order thing?

M1 5w40 is API SL rated for gasoline engines, so yes, it is absolutely safe to use in a gasoline engine.

If you decide to go with Amsoil, please use one of the site sponsors, which are:
Pablo
Gary Allan
Don Stefanik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back