07 Hyundai Accent - ATF suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all--new here so please bear with me.

What ATF would I be best using for drain/fill on a 07 Accent? I plan on doing the drain fill every other oil change just because I am overzealous in maintenance.

Would Amsoil suit the bill for this, or is Genuine Hyundai fluid needed? Also, would and ATF +4 work?

Thanks in advance for your help

Amsoil would mix with the the genuine fluid with no problems?

Scratch that question about the generic ATF +4....momentary mind ____

Also, any ideas how much fluid would be needed for a basic drain/fill?

I've used ATF+4 long term in various Hyundais with NO issues. If anything, I think those tranny shift better and last longer.

The multivehicle ATFs can be used. Amsoil, Castrol, Pennzoil.......are some. Just make sure the fluid you use mention SPIII on the bottles or manufacturers website.

If you don't tow and are not speed racer abusive, the tranny shouldn't have any issues. If you are abusive or plan on working that Accent, then stick with OEM ATF. I can promise a failure with a beat on transmission prior to expiration of the warranty.

If your tranny fails, the techs are instructed to sample your ATF. If anything other than SPIII was used, they may give you a hassle on honoring the warranty.

Why risk it? If your car is under warranty, use the genuine hyundai stuff. You can also buy SPIII at a Kia dealer or a mitsubishi dealer.

If you must find an aftermarket alternative after you are out of warranty, Valvoline Maxlife may be an option. They claim on the bottle that it is a recommended replacement for SPIII. Please note that this is Valvoline's recommendation, not Hyundai's.

For what it's worth, I have two Hyundai's with nearly 100k miles on them. Both have had only Hyundai ATF, and neither have had transmission problems. They get drained and refilled every 30k miles.

You're probably right. I don't race the car or drive it too hard....max is about 80mph on the highway.

About how much does the genuine fluid cost, and how many quarts are needed for a drain/fill?

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

I was at my local chrysler today. I recenlty bough a 03 sebring coupe (made by mitsubishi). One question I asked them was what fluids they use for the trans and steering that spec diamond atf sp111. He said they always use atf+4 in both the steering and tranny that call for splll. I had asked cause in my owners manual in the spec area it says use splll while in the "how to check trans fluid" it said to use atf+4.

They have a chart there at the Chrysler dealer that shows to use atf+4 for Mitsubishi Galant. My car and your car are built with the same parts in the same plant in Normal Ill.

Options I'm considering for my Mistubishi:

-Amsoil (certainly not every other OCI, too expesive and too good)
-SPIII (Hyundai/Kia is cheaper than Mitsu for the same product)
-Castrol Import MV (new and may be hard to find, although AAP has it)

Not sure about +4. Lots of speculation about it being: as good/same/better but no evidence (that I'm comfortable with).

I wouldn't bother with a drain & fill every other OCI, unless that would be at least 24k miles. 24k miles, if checked regularly for burning/darkening, is still compulsive in my opinion (and what I'm going to do).

Forgot to add... should be around 3-4 qts for a drain and fill. Call local Hyundai service dept and ask for exact quantity. They may give you a bulk rate if you buy enough for two or more drain & fills.

Well today I did a drain and fill for power steering fluid and tans using ATF+4. I only had 1 quarts on hand, walmart was out of stock. What came out of the trans was kind of ugly. It did not smell bad, but it was brown and not pink/red. I plan on doing a complete flush, once a can get enough +4. Up thru 2005 Chrysler had 7/70,000 powertrain protection. If +4 is good enough for them having to honor the 7/70, then it's good enough for me. The back of the bottle also says, it's good for Mitsu & Hyundai.

Quote:

Well today I did a drain and fill for power steering fluid and tans using ATF+4. I only had 1 quarts on hand, walmart was out of stock. What came out of the trans was kind of ugly. It did not smell bad, but it was brown and not pink/red. I plan on doing a complete flush, once a can get enough +4. Up thru 2005 Chrysler had 7/70,000 powertrain protection. If +4 is good enough for them having to honor the 7/70, then it's good enough for me. The back of the bottle also says, it's good for Mitsu & Hyundai.

Valvoline makes an ATF+4 Try AZ

should have said I only had 4 quarts on hand (not 1) anyway, Yes we have a checker that stocks valvoline atf+4. I will do that. thanks

Today I went back to walmart and they were restocked with atf+4. Bought 15 quarts. Used 12 to do total flush on my sebring mitsubishi trans that specs mitsu sp111. So far it is shifting better than before, but that more than likely is do to the old dirty fluid being exchanges. Walmart atf+4 was $2.97. Local Hyundai dealer wanted $6.95 for sp111. Also the guys over at 2gstratus forum (forum for mitubishi made stratus/sebring coupes), for the most part are all using atf+4 with no problems thus far.

Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back