Subaru tire rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '05 GT recommends back to front only. At about 18K I am starting to get some tire roar, probably leading edge trailing edge stepping. Is there any reason the original Bridgestones can't be cross rotated? They are not a directional tire.

Front to back rotation should be 100% adequate. I've done it for years on RWD cars with directional tires, and I plan on doing it on my subaru too.

That said, given a non directional tire, same size on all 4, there should be no reason why you can't cross-rotate them unless the WHEELS themselves are perhaps directional (look at the spokes and make sure they wont be going the wrong way)

I cross rotate my Yokohama's on two Subaru's for that very reason. Been doing fine for a combination of about 60,000 miles so far!

2 things:

1) If 18K is your first rotation, you may want to increase the frequency.

2) If 19K is not your first rotation, it might be worthwhile to check your alignment

Tires have been rotated 3 times and appear to be wearing very evenly. Just getting a bit noisier. And it may be that I am especially sensitive to the noise right now, as I think I have sinus infection also affecting hearing. Thanks for the responses. I may get an X-rotation, but I hate to, 'cause I am a cheap bastid' and I normally do the back to front myself.

Quote:

.....I may get an X-rotation, but I hate to, 'cause I am a cheap bastid' and I normally do the back to front myself......

Doing an X rotation is not much different than doing front to back. It just requires a bit more planning.

Jack stands make this fairly easy. If you don't have jack stands, you ought to get some - very useful, not to mention the increase in safety!!

On my Subaru I rotate the fronts to the opposite rear, and the rears straight to the front. This way each tire ends up at each corner after 4 rotations. This requires all 4 corners to be up on jackstands.
rotate1.gif

I believe manufacturers will recommend straight front to back if some models have directional tires so they can provide a single guideline for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back