Gasoline brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
We know that oil stock varies from brand to brand but is
there much a diff with Gasoline brands...I read that there is not much reason except price to switch?
any thoughts?
stirthepot.gif

You might perform a search. This has been discussed alot before. Basically all gasoline is nearly the same, it is the additive package that is added to the gas that is different and can affect your vehicle performance in the long run.

Shell purchases their gasoline on the open market. It can come from many companies. The additive is to be put in while he offloads into the gas station tank.

with the price of gas here in Los Angeles I compare prices and go for it no matter what the brand is. Basically their all the same except for the attivive packages that are put in. One of the cheapest gasolines beleive it or not is Exxon/Mobil. However if I drive down the street a little more I come accross a Mobil station that an easy 15 cents higher!!! Go figure??? Most of the time I just pay out of my pocket for Arco gas despite what people have saif that it's crummy and will ruin your motors. I've found this gas to be no trouble whar so ever but admit I put in store bought additives as supplements.

Durango

Quote:

Filling up Shell Gas tanks at a Shell station
confused.gif
it makes you wonder

I am curious what you are implying. Are you a tanker truck driver? It is always interesting to hear how things are not done properly when it comes to fuel additives. Not as if anyone here has done any of that.

Additives are added at the supply terminal where the fuel distributor "picks up" product from the supplier. The additive is injected into the delivery stream of the fuel product while the tanker is being loaded.

To make a long story short, motor fuel is refined by the refiners or imported into the US as a product that conforms to an ASTM specification. The product is inserted into the pipeline system in batches. ExxonMobil or Shell or BP or any of the major refiners will put a large volume of their product into the system. The product travels through the pipeline and comes back above ground at wholesale terminals throughout the US. The product Exxon puts in may not be the product Exxon pulls out. If a refiner puts in half a million gallons they have the rights to pull half a million gallons out. Because all fuel is refined to the same standard, it really doesn't matter. There are quality control checks throughout the process to ensure product integrity.

The proprietary additives that are blended into the common product are the difference. The value of the additives are up to you.

My two cents - purchase fuel from a site that prices competitively and frequently turns over their inventory so you don't get old gas. I like modern (recently built) sites that go through a fair volume.

As someone who has tanked fuel for a number of years, I can confirm that!

All fuel is the same. Just like what was said, the refiners put it in the pipeline and it gets picked up by any number of terminals. The stations look for the best price from a series of terminals and we would pick up based on allocation and price.

It was always a blast to watch the loading. All kinds of lights kick on from different additive and ethonal tanks that were shooting product into the stream based on specs of the customer. All of this loading to a fuel tanker took only a few minutes. Don't walk by the tanker vent! Your cap will end up a couple hundred feet away. 6000 gallons in a few minutes will move a lot of air out of the vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back