Oil recommendations for a 2007 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used 2007 Malibu with the 2.2 ecotec motor and it has 28,000 miles. Will be used by my daughter who is attending college 100 miles from home. I will not have a chance to check it every week; rely on her to check fluids, but I have taught her how to check oil and how to change oil. The oil life monitor shows about 60% useful life. I am thinking conventional Pennzoil, Valvoline or Havoline 5w-30. I have never owned a 4 banger before and would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

Use a good synthetic and a good filter and change it twice a year (when she happens to come home).

This is how I'd do it. (Wait, this IS how I do it with my own vehicles...)

Use a good synthetic 5W-30 that is available at stores near her college.

Change by the OLM, or a little bit earlier.

Get her to check oil on a schedule.

Also, find a local garage or Chevy dealership near her school for those times when you need a mechanic to look at the car.

I use the best synthetic oil and filters (like mrsilv04) and change it once a year. This is how I do it with my own vehicles. And I just sold my 1983 Chevy. Still have my 1993 Ford, 1997 Chevy and 2006 Honda. I add no oil between changes.

May I suggest Pennzoil Platinum + Napa Gold filter? Walmarts & Napa stores are everywhere. Seems like a good, easilly available combo that can take decent OCI's.

Not to mention, she probably won't have to even worry about it (other than checking the level every once in a while). Even if she only comes home once or twice a year, she should be good to go
smile.gif

JMHO

My mom has an '03 Malibu and we've always used Valvoline in it and it's served us well. However, the 3.1 is starting to get the traditional piston slap (although it's not Valvoline's fault) and we might try switching to something a little thicker soon, like MaxLife.

Do you know service history ? I probably would be inclined to do a few short OCI's and also watch for consumption issues. There should be none but never know. Use recommended weight and GM spec'd oil (if required). OLM is good but know what warranty requires.

Also, make sure she knows what you put in (picture in glove box) so if she adds any it's exactly same stuff. I can just imagine a "wanabe boyfriend" pouring in SlickXX or something.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum or Royal Purple. Pennz cost less but it's a top notch oil. Anyone would agree !

Here's a vote for Quaker State synthetic. Same great ownership (SOPUS) ... same five quart jug price as Platinum at Chinamart & less consumption than Platinum inside my engine. Change twice a year & no special oil filter needed. Supertechs are fine -- they almost mirror the AC Delcos.

GM specifies SAE 5W-30 for the 2.2L engine. Most name brand motor oils will work that meet the GM specs. Oil filters are another issue since the Ecotec engine uses a cartridge type filter, not a spin on can filter. OEM filters made in Germany by Hengst appear to be the best. AC Delco brand filters are made by Hengst, but Purolator and Fram also market their own.

Around here, some car dealers have the best prices--about $6 each, while Walmart sells the Fram 9018 for $7.47 each. It pays to shop around. Changing the oil filter is very easy and not at all messy. You will need a 32MM or 1-1/8" socket, and an extension bar about 6" long (works best). Some auto parts stores sell a special shallow GM sockets in several sizes for the filter cap for about $10 that are worth every penny.

There isn't a typical highway or city vehicle that needs the best filter available. But you should consider something close to OEM... that being any American AC Delco for your GM... at least until the warranty expires.

Thanks for everybodies input; I think I'll try either Pennzoil, Quaker State or Valvoline synthetic (whichever is on sale) and AC Delco filter and change twice/year. I will change the oil this weekend with conventional and start the synthetic a couple of weeks before she goes off to school in late August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back