Rotella 10w-30 now SM rated?--no more SL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to pick up another couple of jugs of Rotella 10W-30 for my jeep and for some reason read the specs on the API rating--all the bottles in Wal-Mart and O'Reilly's now say SM rated

i thought maybe i was mistaken about the jugs i bought just a couple weeks ago, but when i got home, sure enough--SL rated

anyone else notice this?

i found the Rotella because my research led me to believe that the SL rating allowed levels of ZDDP that are no longer present in SM rated 'energy conserving' oils, and that this ZDDP is important in reducing wear for flat-tappet cams

i bought 2 jugs of 5w-40 synthetic Rotella instead, but i'd like to hold off on the 40 wt until higher mileage if i can still find 10W-30--or should i go ahead with the 5w-40? i know a lot of people run 40 wts in the I6 with good results

I believe your right, and the trend will continue
frown.gif

Not unless it's for the new 2007 diesel engines. I still believe that for 10years???? a manufacture must keep a rated oil for a specific engine rating Like SL? Am I right? anyone really know?

Supposedly, the SM rated oils have other, non VOA-detectable chem-adds to make up for reduced zinc, etc. The newish Rotella T HD 10W-30 is rated for SM, and SL, and SJ, in addition to CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, & CF-4.

The synthetic 5W-40 is reportedly coming out -sometime- in 2007 in the CJ-4 version.

A Shell distributor would probably still have the SL oil in stock. But it won't be discounted like at Walmart.

Quote:

i found the Rotella because my research led me to believe that the SL rating allowed levels of ZDDP that are no longer present in SM rated 'energy conserving' oils, and that this ZDDP is important in reducing wear for flat-tappet cams

That CJ4/SM rated Rotella still has 1200 ppm P/Zn. Just how much do you think you need??

""That CJ4/SM rated Rotella still has 1200 ppm P/Zn. Just how much do you think you need??""

Is not SM max ZN 800ppm?
bruce

""Not when preceded by a diesel spec.""

show me where, SM is SM max 800ppm zddp the new CJ-4 oils are also 800ppm zddp.
bruce

well I stand corrected somewhat here looks like you can have a SM oil in a xx/40 grade higher than 800ppm P.

BUT not a xx/30 grade that is capped at 800ppm.
bruce

Flatlandtacoma:
I got
spankme.gif

You are correct I'm wrong on this thanks I should read the specs more often.
bowdown2.gif

""Not when preceded by a diesel spec.""

So a Diesel speced oil has NO limit on P
up to CI-4 I have not found CJ-4 but I thought that now does have a 800ppm cap.

And even a true SM has no limit if a xx/40 grade unless is a GF-4 then 800ppm cap on all grades.

thanks

""So a Diesel speced oil has NO limit on P
up to CI-4 I have not found CJ-4 but I thought that now does have a 800ppm cap."'

Found it CJ-4 has a P cap of 1200ppm where CI-4 had NO cap.
bruce

[quote
That CJ4/SM rated Rotella still has 1200 ppm P/Zn. Just how much do you think you need??

at least 1201 ppm?
grin.gif

confused.gif
i don't know--i haven't dug that far into things as it seemed agreed upon that the SL rating was agreed to provide an acceptable level in the Rotella 10W-30

for clarification, if i'm understanding correctly, the new SM rating on the Rotella T 10W-30 still allows 1200ppm, which is plenty for my jeep?

thanks for any help!

""the new SM rating on the Rotella T 10W-30 still allows 1200ppm, which is plenty for my jeep?""

That is Correct whether rotella 10/30 WILL have the max of 1,200 though is a good qeustion.
bruce

Quote:

Found it CJ-4 has a P cap of 1200ppm where CI-4 had NO cap.
bruce

Ah good. So there is hope for that 5 gallon bucket of Castrol Tection Extra SM/CJ-4 free-after-rebate HDMO I just picked up. It meets a lot of heavy duty diesel specs, including Caterpillar, Cummins, Mack, Volvo, and Detroit Diesel specs, so surely I don't need to worry about it performing in my half-ton pickup.

very confussing diferent vis gets diferent p limit and wether a "disesl" designation is first it changes again DUMB.

I blend all SM to 800ppm no matter vis SL to 1200 no matter vis and and CJ-4 is 1200ppm no matter vis.
KISS keep it simple (bruce) stupid
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back