Michelin Exalto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see they are on special, $99 for 16s. I was planning on going back to Conti Extremes @$80, which I have much faith in, but the Exaltos are top-rated and everyone seems to have good things to say about them. Even though they wear well, I don't like nor do I usually buy Michelins, but I might plunk down a few extra $ since last winter I got the Kumho ASX, which were quite whatever. I'm only buying 2, so the extra $20ea is no biggie. I don't need to put them on until winter, but should I go ahead pull the trigger now?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+A/S

I really like the specs, and would put them on a car if it needed new shoes. I put it on a large motorcycle, and am THRILLED with how they perform there. I'd expect them to be an excellent buy...in fact, at that price, I'd almost be tempted to go buy 4 for when I need new tires later this year. I paid 128.oo for mine a couple of weeks ago, BTW.

They are a good 3 season tire. Fairly quiet, good dry and wet grip, predicitible in the corners and will probably go 40-50K tread life. I have 215 50 R17 on my Accord that I run from the spring to fall. Pretty lousy in the winter. I got a little anxious this spring and took my Dunlop Winter Sport M3s off too early and got caught in a snow storm. Lets just say I'm wasn't liking it too much.

Of course, any high performance all season is going to be lousy in the snow. If you can afford it, I would recommend a set of dedicated winter tires. Best tire investment I ever made.

I have a CRV that I can drive in snow. It has all-season TRZs. Probally will grab the Exaltos soon.

Quote:

I have a CRV that I can drive in snow. It has all-season TRZs. Probally will grab the Exaltos soon.

At the price it sounds like a good deal. I would probably buy them again. I like them on my accord.

The point I was making about snow tires is that no all season tire is going to come close to a snow tire in the winter. Don't know how I managed all those years without them.

I have all seasons on my F150 and the accord with the snow tires grips better on packed snow and ice than the 4x4. FWIW
ooo.gif

What size and load/speed rating did you find for $99? My Golf takes a 205/55-16 91H and they're $114 each.

I am almost ready to replace my tires and i'd jump on a $99 deal for these Pilot Exalto A/S tires.

Great price on those tires JUMP and enjoy.

Michelin make the most round and even tires around. I busted tires for a couple years and now an automotive tech at a dealership. When even you mount up Michelins they have the least runout (making them round) and require the least amount of weights of any brand. BAR NONE!!!

They make the best tires!!!

As long as you were not planning to run Indy in F1! I was at the debacle and still insist they make the best tires in the world.

Last edited:
Quote:

Bought 4 exhaltos fm Costco
smooth riding
very small balance weights about 3/8 inch wide (thats good)
kuhmos that came off had weights 3 times the size

I had the same experience. I don't even know why they bothered with the tiny weight they put on mine. I new an engineer that worked for Michelin in Greenville, SC. He commented to me once that Michelin's didn't require weights...I don't know how literal he was being, or, if he was just saying they don't need much weight.

Quote:

As long as you were not planning to run Indy in F1! I was at the debacle and still insist they make the best tires in the world.

That's why I switched all my cars over to Bridgestones!
tongue.gif

stirthepot.gif

cheers.gif

Bought a set at Costco for my Subaru Forester. Best price and service, and the tires themselves are excellent. Comments about balance weights are true. The weights on 3 rims are almost inconsequential, and one wheel didn't use any!

TR upped the price to $118 after I looked at them. I asked if they could "revist" them at that price...nope.

I just saw a new ad for Goodyar's eagle f1 all season variant. Wondering if they gonna be as good. prolly not though.

I'm looking at the "Edge" as a possible replacement tire for my HHR. Right now there are Firestone Affinitys on there now...not that crazy about them. The Exalto may be another choice. I had them on my Matrix and they were a great tire. Little noisy when they were new and when they got about 35k they got a little noisy also but in between they were pretty quiet

Goose
patriot.gif

After getting the quote for 2 Edge, I might end up with Conti Extremes again. Snow performance is assured and $30 less each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back