06 Dodge 5.9L CTD w/7,029 on Rotella T 15w40 CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used no fuel additives this time around. Potassium came down to a respectible level. I used 1 qt of Delo CI4+ after the last TP change, could account for slightly elevated Zinc and Phosphorous. I don't know what caused the elevated Vis, could be a fluke. I am not worried, as numbers look good for an engine w/ 27,000 miles
grin.gif
FYI, Previous samples were taken post Frantz filter simply for ease of sample taking. However, this sample was taken pre Frantz, as I have hard tubed my filters with stainless tubing, and it is now easy enough to take tubing loose and sample it.

Blackstone_6_22_07_edited-1.jpg

Any and all comments are welcomed!
Tom
driving.gif

Good to see the CJ4 Rotella is doing well...but maybe just maybe that's because you added two quarts of Delo!
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Good to see the CJ4 Rotella is doing well...but maybe just maybe that's because you added two quarts of Delo!
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

It was 1 qt of Delo, leftover in a gallon jug I wanted to use up. Maybe we can say it is another CI-4+ Delo good UOA, but needed ALOT of help from the CJ-4 Rotella!
crazy.gif
grin.gif

I may just keep adding the CI-4+ Delo as an add when changing the Frantz filters...Seems to boost some of the adds like Phosphorous and Zinc.
stirthepot.gif

Quote:

That or just add a couple of quarts of Redline 15W40 Diesel oil to the mix...
stirthepot.gif

I may try that also. I do happen to have a qt of the Redline 15w40 around here. Purchased it a while back thinking of this very thing. $7.99 qt at my local parts house.
stirthepot.gif
approved.gif

Tom.

Quote:

So are you guys saying it's a good idea to run Rotella + 1 gallon of Delo 400?

Not the CJ-4 Delo, just the CI-4+ Delo. I have not had any problems with the Rotella CJ-4, Was just an idea of adding some CI-4+ to boost the additive pack of the Cj-4. Seems like a good idea on how to stretch users CI-4+ inventory.

I'm good for awhile, I have about 8 oil changes worth of CI4+ Delo 15W40 and Delo 5W40 CI4+
throwroses.sml

I just checked the gallon container of Delo 400 in my garage. It is the CI-4+ and it says new ULSD on the front. Did they recently switch? I never paid attention before, but did they just switch to CI-4+ from CJ-4?

Oh and what's the benefit of CJ-4? If CI-4+ has more additives, then why even mix? Why not just run 100% Delo?

Quote:

Oh and what's the benefit of CJ-4? If CI-4+ has more additives, then why even mix? Why not just run 100% Delo?

Biggest thing other than CI4+ has a more robust add pack is that the new CJ4 doesn't hold up to extended drains very well at all. Also if you get a couple of tanks of LSD in there, the new oil can deteriorate fast. It is maintained by the companies that the new CJ4 is supposed to handle soot better and also be more shear resistant- but this has yet to be a common experience. Many who have engines that can run on CI4+ i think are trying to stockpile as much as they can- I know I have. I have about ten changes worth of Delo CI4+ 15W40 and 5W40 for my 06 Cummins!
coffeetime.gif

Quote:

I just checked the gallon container of Delo 400 in my garage. It is the CI-4+ and it says new ULSD on the front. Did they recently switch? I never paid attention before, but did they just switch to CI-4+ from CJ-4?

The CI-4+ supply in stores is running low, CJ-4 is the new oil. That is why people (like me) are adding some CI-4+ to their CJ-4 for some added protection. I am not personaly concerned of the CJ-4 oil, but why not mix it up a little.........
stirthepot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back