VW TDI diesel 505.01 oils, preferred?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't see a forum for light duty diesel cars, so posted it here.

20,000 mile service is around the corner for my wife's 2005 VW Beetle TDI. Been running Castrol TXT 505.01 which been buying from dealer's parts dept. OCI is 10,000 miles per manual. Last change @ 10,000.

I'm wondering if I should go with Elf or Pentosynth, or Motul for this next change all of which are 505.01 compliant (VW specification 505.01)?

dunno.gif

Hey there. I work at a vw dealer and those 10k oil changes are too much. The 5050.01 oil is the perfect oil to use for your engine. Every 5k you want an oil and filter change and keep using that oil. If you read the bottle is states it's meant for diesel.

I respectfully disagree with rustlerdude in that I think you'll do fine to follow VW's 10K oil recommendation interval using Castrol TXT. I have an 04 TDI and have analyzed the oil at 10K (20K on the car) to find the TBN, viscosity, and wear metals acceptable. I have no experience with brands other than the Castrol I buy at the dealership. You may want to check out TDIClub.com. There are discussions of other oils for PD-engined cars there.

This topic is of interest and I'm glad to see someone with such a nice choice of 505.01 oils.

The dealer provided Castrol seems to only be average but is certainly adequate for 10,000 mile intervals.

I personally have used the Elf Excellium DID 5W-40 505.01 oil and haven't been overly impressed with it.

I would love to see some analysis data on the Pentosin and Motul products. From the oils that you've listed I would use the Motul 505.01 product, run several intervals at the specified 10,000 mile duration, and then sample it and compare it to other products. There are several UOA's at the TDIclub.com to give you a comparative reflection.

My vote is going out for the Motul,, followed by the Pentosin and lastly I'd select the Elf.

Quote:

20,000 mile service is around the corner for my wife's 2005 VW Beetle TDI. Been running Castrol TXT 505.01 which been buying from dealer's parts dept. OCI is 10,000 miles per manual. Last change @ 10,000.

I'm wondering if I should go with Elf or Pentosynth, or Motul for this next change all of which are 505.01 compliant (VW specification 505.01)?

No one has yet offered evidence that any one of the 505.01-rated oils is appreciably better than the others. Or that any of them is unable to serve satisfactorily for a 10k-mile OCI, as long as the engine is in good tune.

Some of the dealerships are switching to a different Castrol blend, and phasing out the TXT.

I used Motul, Elf, and Pentosin 505.01 oils in my '04 TDI during the warranty period. Based on my experience, I would rank them as follows:
Pentosin TS
Motul Technosynthese
Elf Excellium DID

For whatever reason, my car "consumed" Elf DID and not the others. The engine was noticeably quieter and smoother when run on the Pentosin TS. I think Motul Technosynthese is a good product too.
FWIW, I've had excellent results when running my engine on Delvac 1 (yes, I know it's not 505.01-compliant) for 60k.
I have posted UOAs for both Pentosin TS and D1 here on this forum.

VW registered 507.0 Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0W-30 is now available in the U.S. It is backward compatible and bottle listed for 505 application..
George Morrison

That Mobil-1 ESP meets VW 504 and 507 but it explicitly states that it is not for the PD diesels that aren't using the longlife monitor or that aren't equipped with the particulate filter in the exhaust.

So this oil isn't for use in North American PD TDI diesels. It does meet several other nice manufacturer ratings though.. but PD TDI without WIV isn't one of them.

Quote:

That Mobil-1 ESP meets VW 504 and 507 but it explicitly states that it is not for the PD diesels that aren't using the longlife monitor or that aren't equipped with the particulate filter in the exhaust.

So this oil isn't for use in North American PD TDI diesels. It does meet several other nice manufacturer ratings though.. but PD TDI without WIV isn't one of them.

Not exactly correct. It is fine for all North American PD TDI engines except for the V-10 diesel in the Touareg. Quite a few TDI PD owners are using other oils meeting the VW 507.00 spec.

I would like to see a VOA comparison of the M1 ESP 5w30 with the next-generation Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 with the API CJ-4 rating.

Mori, the oil is a 5W-30. You can find a product data sheet if you search Mobil-1 ESP 5W-30.

This is the exceptions directly from the product data sheet excluding the oil from use in a non-WIV PD TDI:

^ except "Unit-Injector/Pumpe-Düse" R5/V10-TDi (VW 506 01) and 3/4-cylinder Diesel engines without Longlife-Service/without Diesel-Particulate-Filter (VW 505 01).

I have know about the existence of the ESP 5W-30 and its specs since it came out. I was just wondering if there now also was, as per GeorgeCLS, an ESP 0W-30.

I think GeorgeCLS just made a typo, that's all.

Now I'm going to put on my FLAME suite, okay I'm ready.

After talking with my local VW dealer and my next door neighbor who has one of these wounderful cars, if I'm doing mostly city type driving, a lot of stop and go, there ain't no way in heck I'm doing 10k oil changes on one of these. The local dealer uses the correct Castrol product and is recommending to all of their customers to change at 5k. After some of the build up and soot that I have seen on my neighbors, sorry, no way.

But to each his own. Personally, I would not own one until they change the injection system.

Mine is a 2005 Jetta PD TDI. I won't use Castrol. When I checked I was told its a synthetic blend, with base stocks of Group II and Group III. I compared flash points, pour points and as much other information as I could find and finally decided on the Motul Specific 505.01 5w-40.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles and anyone is welcome to my used oil if they want the other 5,000 miles out of it. I have started changing the filter every other oil change, just to be cheap. I just can't go 10K on the oil, especially considering how short the drive to my office is.

So, if you want my recommendation, go with the Motul, but they are all okay at worst.

Yes, John is correct. I made a typo the Mobil 1 ESP Formula is a 5W-30. As soon as I hit the button I saw my typing error but could not change it... So, yes, it is Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 VW 507.00/504.00 and is recommended for 502.00, 503.00, 503.01, 505.00, 506.00 and 505.01 and 506.01 and is available in the U.S.
I apologize for the error..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Well, I ordered a 5 liter jug of Elf Excellium DID 5W-40 505.01 oil this evening. It seemed to get good reviews over on TDIClub.com. It is supposed to be a Group III with no Grp II blended in. $35 for the jug. Not too bad considering the prices of VW spec 505.01, 506.01 approved oils.

When reading your threads guys, I´m getting the feeling the Castrol products (and maybe otther brands)on the US market are different from the European products sold...
(VW 50501) Is there any 5W-30 oils tested and approved by Volkswagen/Audi complying with VW 50501 ?
Also curious if You have any expereince with Pentosin...
I have very good experiences ...local german, perhaps not available on the US market?
Best regards Bjorn

Quote:

When reading your threads guys, I´m getting the feeling the Castrol products (and maybe otther brands)on the US market are different from the European products sold...
(VW 50501) Is there any 5W-30 oils tested and approved by Volkswagen/Audi complying with VW 50501 ?

Hi Bjorn.
VW dealerships in the US are phasing out the Castrol 5w40 that they've been selling for the PD engines, and are now selling a 5w30 which I think meets the 507.00 specification. Since 507.00 supercedes 505.01, it's likely all the 505.01-rated oils will disappear in the next year or so.

Pentosin products are available and have a good reputation in the US. Or to put it another way, the number of people who have a negative opinion of Pentosin is tiny, while there are lots of people who don't like Castrol.

I almost bought Pentosynth TS but the Elf Excellium DID was several dollars cheaper per 5 liter jug. Otherwise all else being equal I might have bought the Pentosin Pentosynth TS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back